JUCO FB Lorenzo Taliaferro | The Boneyard

JUCO FB Lorenzo Taliaferro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is another kid mentioned ( 6'1 235lbs ) on espn recruiting blog... He played with OL JUCO Glowinski... Getting UCONN interest...

Reaction Score
I say we bring in 85 JUCO kids and keep our best 20 as walk ons.

Reaction Score
Going the JUCO route for a FB surprises me a little. FBs only play maybe a third of snaps, and we return one, Ruben Frank, who got plenty of playing time last year and looked like he was developing fine.

But if the coaches think we can improve there, so be it.

Reaction Score
I always thought Frank was kind of out of place at FB. He played DE and a limited amount of TE in HS and has had no experience actually running the ball which limits UConn in short yardage. This JUCO kid is a bulked up tailback who has lots of RB experience. I wouldn't mind Frank shifting to DE. With Joseph and Williams going into their senior year and Jennings as a RS junior some younger depth is needed at DE to go along with Battles and Norris in this recruiting class and Jonathan Louis and McBryde who were red-shirted. This is especially true if McBryde continues to grow toward 300 lbs (he is listed at 277 as a freshman) and a moves to DT

Along these same lines, Sean McQuillan is also listed at FB. He will probably be 6'4" 250 by next season and his supposed athleticism begs for a move to TE with 3 senior TE next year.

Reaction Score
I like Sportsart's plan.
It's clear that Coach PP sees a need for talent upgrades at several positions and realizes the future is now for him. That's one of the incentives you get by hiring an older coach:)
One thing is for sure. Each QB will be intently working on mechanics and footwork as well as mastering the playbook from now till spring practice. I guarantee PP will name a clear starter much sooner than last year. And at the risk of being too much of a Pollyanna, considering we lost several close winnable games last year due to either inadvisable play calls by a coaching staff feeling their way or poor execution by an always willing but often unable team, I'm already more optimistic about what year two holds in store. Actually, my biggest concern is replacing Dave Teggart. He was money.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the new kicker coming in is rated among the best in the country for the level he's at right now. Doesn't mean diddley squat if he can't kick it through the uprights regularly once he makes the move to the next level......BUT.....it's a pretty darn good place to start from in replacing Teggart.

Reaction Score
The starting point to replace Teggart is Chad Christen.

We know that Christen pushed Teggart for the job in '10 (to the point where, during one game early in the year -- either Vandy or Buffalo -- we pulled Teggart and had Christen kick an Extra Point.

Does that mean he'll perform under real game pressure? You never know with kickers. But I'd bet you dollars to donuts (which, as someone pointed out, no longer makes sense given what donuts now cost) that, in P's office, Christen is listed at the top of his projected depth chart for next year.

Reaction Score
I always thought Frank was kind of out of place at FB. He played DE and a limited amount of TE in HS and has had no experience actually running the ball which limits UConn in short yardage. This JUCO kid is a bulked up tailback who has lots of RB experience. I wouldn't mind Frank shifting to DE. With Joseph and Williams going into their senior year and Jennings as a RS junior some younger depth is needed at DE to go along with Battles and Norris in this recruiting class and Jonathan Louis and McBryde who were red-shirted. This is especially true if McBryde continues to grow toward 300 lbs (he is listed at 277 as a freshman) and a moves to DT

Along these same lines, Sean McQuillan is also listed at FB. He will probably be 6'4" 250 by next season and his supposed athleticism begs for a move to TE with 3 senior TE next year.

I feel really bad for Frank.. Dude was supposed to come in here and be developed as a DL guy... But, again he's an Edsall recruit... Frank's highlights out of Poughkeepsie (sp?) showed his prowess on the DL... and he looked really good there... Hopefully he ends up there..
As for the McBryde mention.. Should we start integrating 3-4 schemes in our D at least sizewise he fits nicely at DE...

Reaction Score
The starting point to replace Teggart is Chad Christen.

We know that Christen pushed Teggart for the job in '10 (to the point where, during one game early in the year -- either Vandy or Buffalo -- we pulled Teggart and had Christen kick an Extra Point.

Does that mean he'll perform under real game pressure? You never know with kickers. But I'd bet you dollars to donuts (which, as someone pointed out, no longer makes sense given what donuts now cost) that, in P's office, Christen is listed at the top of his projected depth chart for next year.

I agree with that, completely - I have added the bold/italic addendum to my previous statement counselor.

I'm pretty sure the new kicker coming in is rated among the best in the country for the level he's at right now. Doesn't mean diddley squat if he can't kick it through the uprights regularly once he makes the move to the next level......BUT.....it's a pretty darn good place to start from in replacing Teggart's roster spot.

Reaction Score
This is another kid mentioned ( 6'1 235lbs ) on espn recruiting blog... He played with OL JUCO Glowinski... Getting UCONN interest...

Here's a new article from the Taliaferro's local area, he went to high school at Bruton, in Williamsburg, VA (Daily Press, Newport News, VA) -
Lorenzo Taliaferro

I haven't followed this board lately on recruiting, not sure if this kid still has any real interest.

Reaction Score
P is doing what should have been done long ago. He's upgrading the talent, size, strength, & speed level in spots where we need it.

unfortunately he was left with some positions that hadnt been properly recruited when he got here. the first year he had to fight through it with inferior talent because he was hired late in the process. He doesnt have to do that anymore. He has a sense of urgency, and he wants to win now.

let him bring in 20 JUCO's if he wants to. we need the players.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If Christen's head is up to the task, he will be a great college kicker for his remaining 2 years.

Reaction Score
TOS says that Wyatt Vinci has been told he could play fullback at UConn. He is deciding between Navy, Yale and UConn. This could be our fullback recruit.

Reaction Score
FB or LB or DE?

So he has a choice as to which position he would prefer to play?

Reaction Score
If Christen's head is up to the task, he will be a great college kicker for his remaining 2 years.

Got a nice leg and can punt for distance if needed. Hope he's having a good offseason and comes in ready for success. No doubt about whether he can get the job done.

We are thin at FB and need to be active here. Glad to hear we are.

Reaction Score
Lorenzo looks like a good athlete. Had some issues with his grades, but has made the best of his second chance. Could be a nice player maker/lead blocker at the FB position. Adds a nice dynamic to the offense.

Reaction Score
The new kicker Bobby P just won the Ray Guy award for the nations best high school kicker

Shouldn't that make him a five star being chosen the best in the country?

Shouldn't we be a bit more excited about this kid knowing how important a good kicker is?

Reaction Score
The Ray Guy Award is for the best college punter. Bobby won for Palm County FLA which was presented at the Lou Groza Award cermony for best college kicker. He is a very good HS kicker. Possibly a very good get, we will see when he gets here.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
he seems like a good get but there is something odd about it. i have seen the videos of 50+ kicks which are impressive at that level let alone down there and ive read several local np's results/roundup articles where he is highly thought of. but where are the other bcs offers if so? seems like we have alot of guys PP is bringing in with other bcs offers which is great stuff but i'm a little suprised he doesn't have any?! seems kinda weird. anyway from what i have seen/read, i like him fwiw as a future kicker...

Reaction Score
Shouldn't that make him a five star being chosen the best in the country?

Shouldn't we be a bit more excited about this kid knowing how important a good kicker is?

Even if he was the best in the country, (which i believe he is up there but not #1) he'd only get three stars, as that's what both rivals and scout have as a rating for who they consider as the top kickers in the country.

It's really surprising that kickers are so under valued considering the impact we've seen them have, especially this year.

Reaction Score
Coach P could have offered a scholarship to Hinkley or McLaughlin to keep them around? I think he wants the big TE/HB type of guy instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom