Journal Inquirer Editorial Today 11.04.18 | The Boneyard

Journal Inquirer Editorial Today 11.04.18

Reaction Score
Today's lead editorial on the Editorial Page says that HCRE2.0 is not the man for the job. Not a column by Neil Ostrout, but their editorial page editor.

Reaction Score
Not weak at all. I do not happen to agree with it, but the editorial is not weak.

It does make one wonder what the new president will do. Failure to get the program on a steeply rising curve next year, I am guessing, will result in the departures of both the football staff and AD David Benedict.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Not weak at all. I do not happen to agree with it, but the editorial is not weak.

It does make one wonder what the new president will do. Failure to get the program on a steeply rising curve next year, I am guessing, will result in the departures of both the football staff and AD David Benedict.
I think it is weak. Takes a jab at him hiring his son....which is standard stuff. Takes a jab at his salary having a large amount of incentives that get triggered without wins....without stating how low his base is compared to other coaches.

My patience with RE has waned, but I think the editorial is weak.

Reaction Score
I would have rather read another op ed piece on commissioning additional state funded studies on the viability of the 50 year old XL center.

If I cared enough about that rag, I would dredge up stories written by them when he was rehired two years ago.

Reaction Score
Our best chance of being decent next year is sticking with HCRE. If we show no improvement then he needs to go, but hopefully we will be better next year and have positive momentum going into 2020. I'm looking forward to seeing the talented arm of Krajewski under center and I would hate to lose him because of a regime change, plus I like Dunn. Our defense is super young but will come back stronger next year.

You quick trigger regime changers better be careful with what you wish for.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Ultimately, I don't think Edsall is going anywhere. But when you're the worst team in the country with a historically bad defense, it's definitely fair to ask the question. Especially when we have gotten (MUCH) worse in year 2, not better.

Kansas is finalizing a deal with Les Miles. Whether or not he will win there is up for debate. But the very idea of a hoops school spending some money to make a headline grabbing football hire is exactly what we could use...but won't do.

Reaction Score
Does Connecticut have the commitment to hire a nationally prominent coach and give him the money to sufficiently fund the program? If not, why change from Edsall?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Does Connecticut have the commitment to hire a nationally prominent coach and give him the money to sufficiently fund the program? If not, why change from Edsall?

That's the question. We spend soooooooooo much money on sports but skim the most important one to make self-sustaining AD money. So frustrating.

Reaction Score
Edsall will rebuild the roster with better players and better player development. If he doesn't succeed over the next 2 years, then you can make a coaching change with a better roster than Edsall inherited. The roster that Edsall inherited, especially on the defensive side was a disaster.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, I don't think Edsall is going anywhere. But when you're the worst team in the country with a historically bad defense, it's definitely fair to ask the question. Especially when we have gotten (MUCH) worse in year 2, not better.

Kansas is finalizing a deal with Les Miles. Whether or not he will win there is up for debate. But the very idea of a hoops school spending some money to make a headline grabbing football hire is exactly what we could use...but won't do.
I think the issue here is Kansas is getting P5 TV money and we are not. There was worry about this happening when we lost to Lousiville for the ACC spot.

Right now this program is in such a dark place it's hard to see the light.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think the issue here is Kansas is getting P5 TV money and we are not. There was worry about this happening when we lost to Lousiville for the ACC spot.

Right now this program is in such a dark place it's hard to see the light.

That's definitely an advantage. Most of those P5s don't know what to do with the money either as evidenced by the amount of buyouts and overpaying for mediocre coaches.

I just wish our football % of $70M spent on sports was much much much higher. Not dead last in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Our best chance of being decent next year is sticking with HCRE. If we show no improvement then he needs to go, but hopefully we will be better next year and have positive momentum going into 2020. I'm looking forward to seeing the talented arm of Krajewski under center and I would hate to lose him because of a regime change, plus I like Dunn. Our defense is super young but will come back stronger next year.

You quick trigger regime changers better be careful with what you wish for.
Agree with both paragraphs. But I think that with a new president coming in next year that there will be some serious examination of the FB program. Next year will be critical. They don't need to go bowling next year but they better win 4 or 5. I think that should be an achievable goal. Three or fewer wins next year gets the hot seat plugged in and turned up pretty high.

Reaction Score
2020 is the year Edsall will have to start showing results. I don't see next year being any better than this year in terms of wins. The new QB will suffer through a developmental season and the D, even with improvement, will still be ranked at or near the bottom of FBS. 2020 is when the wins will start to increase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom