Jose Fernandez | The Boneyard

Jose Fernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This kid was truly unbelievable. Electric stuff. He was killed in a boating crash this morning. Thank you for all of the great memories, Jose. He was 24.

Reaction Score
so sad - meant so much to cuba and Miami. He announced a couple weeks ago his girlfriend was pregnant

Reaction Score
The Marlins ownership is pretty reviled down here, but there isn't one person down here that won't feel the sting of this. To be that gifted at 24 and to have this happen? That sucks, period.

Reaction Score
The game is unquestionably worse off without him. One of the brightest lights in baseball, and at such a young age, has gone out way too soon. RIP to Fernandez and condolences to his family, friends, the Marlins, and pretty much everybody.

Reaction Score
Terrible it just makes you so sad and angry at the same, not necessarily angry at Jose but the situation, kid was wise beyond his years defected from Cuba at age 16, I was hoping he would be a Yankee some day but beside that he was already a star pitcher well always be asking ourselves what if what if what if when you talk about what could have been a HOF career and what he could have done off the field, he had a baby on the way too, and there were also 2 other people on that board that died, its just really hard to comprehend all of this. RIP Jose

Reaction Score
One of my favorite players. He cherished every moment of life. I heard a story about him on time where he was near water or something, and somebody fell in who couldn't swim, and him being him, jumped in and saved the person. Little did he know that it was his mother.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite players. He cherished every moment of life. I heard a story about him on time where he was near water or something, and somebody fell in who couldn't swim, and him being him, jumped in and saved the person. Little did he know that it was his mother.
Here's the whole story. Everything about him makes him sound like a genuinely great person. RIP

Reaction Score
This is just unfathomably sad. Damn that's cruel. It's gonna be tough to talk about baseball for a while without feeling like something is incredibly off. He was one of the household names in the sport, and at 24, among a handful of the most valuable assets. The baseball ramifications are obvious (it doesn't sound important now, but this potentially sets the Marlins franchise back a decade purely in an on-field sense), but as it always is with the sudden death of anybody, much less a young person, the simple fact that he's not going to be there is duck*ing spine-chilling. The sheer rawness of this is unconscionable even to somebody who isn't a huge baseball fan - can't imagine what his teammates are going through.

Reaction Score
Wow. I thought he was injured. What a talent that had overcome so much. Life is fragile.

Reaction Score
They just showed what was left of the boat, it was run at high speed into a jetty.

Reaction Score
This one really hurts. I got to follow Jose closely when I lived in South Florida. I was fortunate to see his return from Tommy John Surgery last July. He pitched great and even hit a home run for good measure! He's one of the four best pitchers I saw pitch live along with Pedro, Clemens and Harvey. This kid had a great presence and a Hall of Fame arm. I'm sure like a lot of us, I'm hoping to wake up tomorrow and have it all just be a bad dream. Baseball won't be the same without Jose, RIP #16.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He was the best pitching prospect in a long time. Reminded me of a young Pedro from his abilities to his charisma, but had the body of a Clemens or a Schilling so he probably would have held up for many years. Baseball aside, a 24-year old man is gone far too soon. Horrible news. RIP Jose. Condolences to his family, friends, teammates and fans.

Reaction Score
Im a Met fan and got to see his first start and immediately realizing this kid is nasty! Being a Met fan ive been spoiled recently with some immense pitching talent and this kid was absolutely as good as any of them even comparable to Matt Harvey when Harvey is at his best. This kid had such a bright future and was such a credit to humanity that you dont have to be a fan to feel the loss. I felt gut punched when i realized the news i had just read. I thought it was a mistake and refused to believe it but when it set in i felt sick to my stomach. He was scheduled to pitch against the Mets today. Very eerie that his first start was against us and his last scheduled start was also. When it was announced that the Marlins had changed his spot in the rotation to face us on Monday i was dreading it. That being said id rather have him start tonight and shut us out costing us the wildcard then to have this happen. He constantly kicked our butts but man this really sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom