Jon Rothstein -- UConn will heavily explore joining another league in the offseason | The Boneyard

Jon Rothstein -- UConn will heavily explore joining another league in the offseason

Reaction Score
Rothstein Files: 30 Thoughts As College Basketball Heats Up

Didn't want to copy the entire post, but here's a snippet from Rothstein.

UConn will heavily explore joining another league in the offseason:
The Huskies have battled injuries this season en route to a 10-12 record, but their overall cache as a program also isn’t quite what it was when they were operating in the old Big East. Kevin Ollie led UConn to a national title in 2014, but the Huskies’ brand still belongs on a bigger stage. Sources have told FanRag Sports that UConn has consistently looked into joining the Big East as a basketball only member as long as it could find another home for its football program.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I see this as strengthening UConn's position to keep some more Tier 3 money when Aresco does the next TV deal. At least, I hope so. But if we are going to threaten the AAC with the idea of putting non football sports in the Big East, I think we should get Cincy to say they'll do it too.

Reaction Score
I see this as strengthening UConn's position to keep some more Tier 3 money when Aresco does the next TV deal. At least, I hope so. But if we are going to threaten the AAC with the idea of putting non football sports in the Big East, I think we should get Cincy to say they'll do it too.
I can't see how the AAC would allow us to keep our football program there while moving basketball to the BE, but if they did that'd be the best thing that happened to UConn in conference realignment history. It's become abundantly clear the basketball program cannot sustain itself as a dominant one in the AAC, where it can be in the Big East, and I think AD Dave sees this. AAC football is a workable league that we can use as a platform to build back to respectability and make our case for P5 inclusion down the line.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think we were the ones that brought up WSU in the AAC meetings.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Is Chief00 the source on this one?

I don't see it - happening as it does nothing for the American. We are 100% in the AAC until the next major re-alignment at which time we will seriously look at alternatives if our name is not called.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This has been said many times and this thread is not really the place for it, but what makes a ton of sense to me is for the B1G to take us as a full member for all but football ASAP. For football we'll play independent for the lesser of 10 years or until they identify a partner school for us to join. This would mean that as part of the deal, Hockey would move to B1G as well.

We'll obviously take a junior sized slice of the revenue share model (very junior). After 10 years we would become a full member. We'll put UConn independent football on SNY if they want or we'll roll it into the B1G channel, however both sides wish to proceed as part of calculating our junior share. We'd also need help planning our football schedule. We'd need a min of 5 B1G games a year.

As an independent, our schedule would be something like:
5 B1G (part of the deal is that we would get a min # of B1G games as independent to help develop rivalries and build the schedule)
1 FCS
1 AAC (should be easy to continue to get AAC games)
1 ACC
2 from Army/Mass/BYU or a MAC school
1 SEC or B12 game.

And the B1G would have to give us a shot at some of their bowl games.

Reaction Score
This has been said many times and this thread is not really the place for it, but what makes a ton of sense to me is for the B1G to take us as a full member for all but football ASAP. For football we'll play independent for the lesser of 10 years or until they identify a partner school for us to join. This would mean that as part of the deal, Hockey would move to B1G as well.

We'll obviously take a junior sized slice of the revenue share model (very junior). After 10 years we would become a full member. We'll put UConn independent football on SNY if they want or we'll roll it into the B1G channel, however both sides wish to proceed as part of calculating our junior share. We'd also need help planning our football schedule. We'd need a min of 5 B1G games a year.

As an independent, our schedule would be something like:
5 B1G (part of the deal is that we would get a min # of B1G games as independent to help develop rivalries and build the schedule)
1 FCS
1 AAC (should be easy to continue to get AAC games)
1 ACC
2 from Army/Mass/BYU or a MAC school
1 SEC or B12 game.

And the B1G would have to give us a shot at some of their bowl games.
?

Reaction Score
I don't know. Any story that implies UCONN will evaluate realignment possibilities "in the off season", seems like it is just gasping for clicks. Why would the Prez and AD Dave wait until after a basketball season is over to consider and even negotiate possibilities?

Reaction Score
I don't understand why we couldn't stay in the AAC for football only. Who would they get to fill in the spot?

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
I have this fantasy that Fox notices how hard ESPN's not very big Mondays suck now, realizes that with the AAC they'll have most of the former Big Monday schools in their portfolio AND a decent quality football league, gives us all a raise and does some corporate synergy to create some Nü Big Monday matchups.

It's a fantasy.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't understand why we couldn't stay in the AAC for football only. Who would they get to fill in the spot?
The AAC wants to keep UConn basketball. If they signal to us that sure, you can park football here no problem (and reap the benefits of football TV and bowl revenue from the conference) then they'd be idiots for making that terrible, terrible deal, as our president would say.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's become abundantly clear the basketball program cannot sustain itself as a dominant one in the AAC, where it can be in the Big East, and I think AD Dave sees this. AAC football is a workable league that we can use as a platform to build back to respectability and make our case for P5 inclusion down the line.
Sorry but you lost me on this one with this statement....how has the AAC held us back from being dominant? We had a top 5 recruiting class last year so it doesn't seem like it's hurting recruiting. However, we haven't won the league since it's inception and continually lose to various members over the seasons we've been a part. What makes you think we'd somehow magically become dominant by playing in a much tougher league like the BE?

I just don't buy it happening and honestly don't see the point. The AAC is the best league to grow our football program in and it would be stupid to risk that by moving it to a lesser league just to keep basketball back in the BE. We need football to be strong in order to reach the real promised land in the P5. The AAC is the place to help us get there.

Reaction Score
Uconn's best move is to stay exactly where it is and try to build its football program back to respectability. That way when the final game of conference realignment musical chairs is played Uconn will have best positioned itself for inclusion. Get back to winning 7-9 games. Get back to regularly going to bowl games. Get back to having good fan support. Do this and some BS Committee will not be able to say "they look really good but..." If in the mean time your administration can publicly saber rattle to obtain more money or retain more rights in the next contract that's all the better. The AAC is not going to cater to Uconn Football while watching one of its few revenue generators in Uconn Basketball walk out the door. Without a legitimate plan for how to actually fill out a football schedule independence is program suicide. No its not as easy as saying we'll play X amount of B1G, ACC, SEC, and AAC Games + Army, Umass, and an FCS. What if none of these teams will play you at home? What if your home schedule is Maine, Army, Umass, New Mexico State, and BYU? How do you sell that as an AD?

For the poster suggesting a B1G scheduling alliance, don't waste any more time thinking about this. It won't happen.With the advent of 9 game conference schedules there is simply no way that Delany could sell the idea of an additional conference mandated scheduling agreement. This is the same conference that turned its nose up at the suggestion of ND getting a deal like this. The best I could see The B1G currently offering would be to invite hockey as a member and attempt to exert influence over members to schedule Uconn for future football home and homes. It might be worth it to stay on the conference's future radar, but personally I suspect that most fans would be furious about leaving Hockey East w/o full conference membership in hand. Finally I don't buy the idea that the AAC is killing Uconn Basketball. Is it ideal? No, but it hasn't slowed Geno down any. Winning is winning. You've won a national title in this league. You are recruiting at a high level. Why again can't you be competitive nationally in The AAC? The Big East would be a short term high of nostalgia that would wear off pretty quick. The Big East is a diversion from the path this program needs to remain on.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BB is "down" because we lost a recruiting year to the ban and AAC, lost a couple players early that should have stayed and retained a few that didn't develop like they should have.

If we get decent front court play we should be very good next year.

Reaction Score
1....UConn can make the the NCAA tournament from the AAC...and win championships. But have to play much better than current. There is no reason that the Huskies couldn't beat the teams currently ahead of them in the conference ( SMU, Cincy, UCF, Houston, Tulsa).

It has always been about winning...whether in the Big East or AAC. Fan interest may not be as palpable as it was when playing BE rivals, but that can be overcome by winning championships.

2....Rebuilding the football program has to start with smart recruiting. Winning championships in the AAC will be more difficult in football than basketball but can be accomplished with the right mix of athletes. USF and Temple have been rebuilding their programs from the rubble of identical 2-10, 2013 seasons.....

If it can't be done from the AAC, it can't be done from elsewhere. Some may point to the RPI disadvantages of the AAC, but SMU and Cincinnati are currently both top 20 in Ken Pomeroy's RPI...

Al Davis was right..."Just win, baby".

Reaction Score
Sorry but you lost me on this one with this statement.....how has the AAC held us back from being dominant? We had a top 5 recruiting class last year so it doesn't seem like it's hurting recruiting. However, we haven't won the league since it's inception and continually lose to various members over the seasons we've been a part. .

We were AAC champions last year and have been to the final each year. That being said, we have never had a good conference regular season. I think the point is that being in a better basketball conference like the NBE would make travel better, get attendance numbers up and you can continue to "recruit the conference." Despite our AAC struggles, I think we would be a top tier NBE team pretty quickly.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Hot take: Bball is down because of Kevin Ollie's coaching since 14' (in game & player development) and grueling travel. I strongly believe that a more regional conference like the Big East would help significantly for branding, national exposure and recognition by the committee. It's a no brainer if Football lets us go. It's the second best option to the ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score
The only place we could go is the Big East. I thought they left because they wanted to get away from the whole hybrid conference deal?

I'd be for this if we could get back to the Big East. Stuff changes.

I feel bad for students who don't get to travel to away games.

Reaction Score
Hot take: Bball is down because of Kevin Ollie's coaching since 14' (in game & player development) and grueling travel. I strongly believe that a more regional conference like the Big East would help significantly for branding, national exposure and recognition by the committee. It's a no brainer if Football lets us go. It's the second best option to the ACC or B1G.

This is insane. Bball is down because of low quality players and injuries. The second best option is the ACC or BiG? What drug are you taking? One of those two are the only option left. A move to the Big East will signify that UConn has forever given up on getting P5 status, and if that is the case, they could drop football all together.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Uconn's best move is to stay exactly where it is and try to build its football program back to respectability. That way when the final game of conference realignment musical chairs is played Uconn will have best positioned itself for inclusion. Get back to winning 7-9 games. Get back to regularly going to bowl games. Get back to having good fan support. Do this and some BS Committee will not be able to say "they look really good but.." If in the mean time your administration can publicly saber rattle to obtain more money or retain more rights in the next contract that's all the better. The AAC is not going to cater to Uconn Football while watching one of its few revenue generators in Uconn Basketball walk out the door. Without a legitimate plan for how to actually fill out a football schedule independence is program suicide. No its not as easy as saying we'll play X amount of B1G, ACC, SEC, and AAC Games + Army, Umass, and an FCS. What if none of these teams will play you at home? What if your home schedule is Maine, Army, Umass, New Mexico State, and BYU? How do you sell that as an AD?

For the poster suggesting a B1G scheduling alliance, don't waste any more time thinking about this. It won't happen.With the advent of 9 game conference schedules there is simply no way that Delany could sell the idea of an additional conference mandated scheduling agreement. This is the same conference that turned its nose up at the suggestion of ND getting a deal like this. The best I could see The B1G currently offering would be to invite hockey as a member and attempt to exert influence over members to schedule Uconn for future football home and homes. It might be worth it to stay on the conference's future radar, but personally I suspect that most fans would be furious about leaving Hockey East w/o full conference membership in hand. Finally I don't buy the idea that the AAC is killing Uconn Basketball. Is it ideal? No, but it hasn't slowed Geno down any. Winning is winning. You've won a national title in this league. You are recruiting at a high level. Why again can't you be competitive nationally in The AAC? The Big East would be a short term high of nostalgia that would wear off pretty quick. The Big East is a diversion from the path this program needs to remain on.
Ok, did you just compare women's basketball and winning to men's basketball?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom