Jon Rothstein thinks Nova v UConn is the new rivalry | The Boneyard

Jon Rothstein thinks Nova v UConn is the new rivalry

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I wouldn't hate it if Nova eventually surpassed Cuse as our biggest rival
I think it will for this generation based on familiarity

Tbh I felt like PITT was our biggest BE rival at the end of the old Big East because cuse wasn't a real threat for too long

Reaction Score
that was great. rothstein’s obviously a huge fan and hyping up the program.

but villanova has still been a rival to some degree. didn’t we agree to back to backs and played them a lot more often than providence, gtown, st. john’s

Reaction Score
On the one hand, we should be honored to be placed into this rivalry, if you based it solely on the most recent 3 games between us... last year was the first time we were competitive until the end of a game with them. That having been said, it is obvious to us and the sentiment is growing fast out there in the college basketball community at large that Dan Hurley and staff have us on the fast track to being top-level competitive and nationally-relevant again.

How good will it feel to have a real rivalry again? Not some made up B.S. with the leprechaun (who I did dislike because of his whiny persona, but not because he has ever proven to be a championship coach) and his boring-ass style of basketball at Cincinnati?... and a team that still hasn't gotten out of the first freaking weekend of the tournament!

No... this will be a real rivalry again, with a multi-National Championship coach who has proven to be a winner when it counts the most. Just like in the mid-80's/early-90's we were fighting to get to the top of a mountain of worthy opponents, with coaching legends like John Thompson, Louie Carnesecca, Rollie Massimino, and yes, even the noise picker Boeheim (but back then he was bringing in Top 10 talent every year and they were almost always a 1, 2 or 3 seed in the tournament).

WE have to prove worthy to be part of this rivalry. Which I believe wholeheartedly we are in the process of re-creating a program that will do just that, long term. Feels so good! BRING IT ON, BABY!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
On the one hand, we should be honored to be placed into this rivalry, if you based it solely on the most recent 3 games between us... last year was the first time we were competitive until the end of a game with them. That having been said, it is obvious to us and the sentiment is growing fast out there in the college basketball community at large that Dan Hurley and staff have us on the fast track to being top-level competitive and nationally-relevant again.

How good will it feel to have a real rivalry again? Not some made up B.S. with the leprechaun (who I did dislike because of his whiny persona, but not because he has ever proven to be a championship coach) and his boring-ass style of basketball at Cincinnati?... and a team that still hasn't gotten out of the first freaking weekend of the tournament!

No... this will be a real rivalry again, with a multi-National Championship coach who has proven to be a winner when it counts the most. Just like in the mid-80's/early-90's we were fighting to get to the top of a mountain of worthy opponents, with coaching legends like John Thompson, Louie Carnesecca, Rollie Massimino, and yes, even the noise picker Boeheim (but back then he was bringing in Top 10 talent every year and they were almost always a 1, 2 or 3 seed in the tournament).

WE have to prove worthy to be part of this rivalry. Which I believe wholeheartedly we are in the process of re-creating a program that will do just that, long term. Feels so good! BRING IT ON, BABY!
We don’t have to prove squat.

Reaction Score

Oh come on, Nova became Nova because somebody needed to step up with UConn and others leaving. We shouldn't feel honored to be considered a rival with them, have to prove our worthiness or kiss any arse. Uconn owned the conference and will again.

Reaction Score
We don’t have to prove squat.

Actually, yes we do. 4 years of mediocre to worse basketball until the last month last year. Yes we do. I would agree if you said that Jim Calhoun has nothing to prove... or that the 4 UConn teams that ended their years in National Championships have nothing to prove.

But to say that this year's team, or the teams that come after it... or Dan Hurley as a coach, has nothing to prove? That is just plain ridiculous.

I have never been one who believes that a new group can live off of past glory. Especially not in a college setting where the roster is overturned... and in this case, so is the entire coaching staff. The pressure is on to get back to that Championship-caliber level... and then consistently stay there.

None other than Geno Auriemma stated this fact well:
“With the absence of pressure, it’s hard to do great things.”

We should welcome the pressure to prove we belong again, not dismiss it.

Reaction Score
Actually, yes we do. 4 years of mediocre to worse basketball until the last month last year. Yes we do. I would agree if you said that Jim Calhoun has nothing to prove... or that the 4 UConn teams that ended their years in National Championships have nothing to prove.

But to say that this year's team, or the teams that come after it... or Dan Hurley as a coach, has nothing to prove? That is just plain ridiculous.

I have never been one who believes that a new group can live off of past glory. Especially not in a college setting where the roster is overturned... and in this case, so is the entire coaching staff. The pressure is on to get back to that Championship-caliber level... and then consistently stay there.

None other than Geno Auriemma stated this fact well:
“With the absence of pressure, it’s hard to do great things.”

We should welcome the pressure to prove we belong again, not dismiss it.

That just means every school needs to prove something occasionally. What do you think will happen at Nova when Jay leaves? It's normal for schools to cycle.

Reaction Score
Except I don’t want to hate them.

you’re going to hate them eventually. don’t tell me you didn’t want that win badly this year @ the wells fargo center.

i actually walked to broad street to watch the 2016 philly parade. i live in town was bored ; )

Last edited:

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think Sool coming to UConn makes this a rivalry of sorts, at least as long as he’s here. Something like 5 of the last 6 Philly Catholic league MVPs have gone to Nova, and Sool will likely be a 2 time winner ala Gillespie. During the most recent Sool interview he said he came to UConn in part because he “wasn’t a second option”. I guarantee every UConn-Nova game 2021 forward the commentators will mention that Sool was 2 time Philadelphia city and Philadelphia catholic league player of the year. HUGE storyline. It’s like us losing Clingan to a big east rival.

Reaction Score
The reality is that There was cordial but lukewarm interest on both sides with Diggins, I guess His presence will draw anecdotal reference by announcers. But, memories, history And meaningful games in January and Feb will refuel the rivalry.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling every school is going to be a rivalry at least for next 3 seasons. With exception of Creighton and maybe Xavier every one of them are dying to get back at us after waiting seven years. Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and especially Providence are drooling to get their hands on us. Butler hasn’t forgotten 2011. I hope I’m wrong but we may be in for a rude awakening.

Reaction Score
In my heart, I am grateful that Jay Wright and Nova accomplished the success they have had. They kept the Big east from falling apart. In fact, they made it even stronger. UConn's return will be a win-win for us, the BE, and for college basketball. I look forward to the rivalry, and the attention it will garner. Thank you Villanova.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom