Jon Rothstein pod with Hurley | The Boneyard

Jon Rothstein pod with Hurley

Reaction Score
Notes for you all. Nothing ground breaking but still a great listen.

-No excuses when it comes to injuries even if they are 2 of the top 3 players not only on the team but in the conference
-Said what was reported earlier..."there's a shot" either guy is available before Jan 1.
-Sanogo is sooner rather than later at this point (barring a setback)
-Sounds like Martin "should be back around New Years" if not earlier (for Providence)
-"Need a lot more from Akok. It's an important time for Akok. He's got to deliver"
-Luxury to have Samson off the bench. "Exciting" and "scary" haha
-Need a little more offense from Whaley, both in the screen game and perimeter shot
-On Andre Jackson: "talk to Andre a lot about painting within the lines." Best combination of physical attributes Hurley has ever been around. But he needs to focus on being solid and filling a role before he can truly be great. Really wants him to take on Martin's toughness and rebounding while he's out and use Martin as a template for him.
-On Hawk: "James' 1st year was tough because were trying to not be embarrassing. With Jordan, we have a number next to our name and championship aspirations. he has to be able to play winning basketball, play with the team, be a good enough defender to not cost us games. we can live with freshman mistakes" but he doesn't have the leeway that Bouk was afforded because the program is on a different level.
-On RJ: Gaff is so important to take pressure off RJ. Didn't say this but need him to basically be a Bazz to Kemba or Boat to Bazz (albeit off the bench).
-On West Va: "Oof." "one of the best teams in the country on you turning it over and we've had major issues with that." "First true road game since pre COVID for us." (didnt think about that)
-On rest of BE: potential 6 or 7 bid league
-On Nova/Jay Wright: "from a culture standpoint, they're as good as it gets." "I want to have years with my players, I want to recruit out of high school and create a bond during the recruiting place with them and their families" which is what Nova does (aka no transfers!) Doesn't want guys in and out the door, wants continuity
-On Calhoun: "Don't even flinch" around Calhoun growing up a Hurley in NJ
-Calhoun still has an exercise bike in the coaches office lol. Hoping he'll be around a lot
-"We want to challenge your manhood out there on the court"
-A lot depends on AJ/Hawk making those jumps, Akok being full back, having Gaffney/Polley being productive off the bench

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Thank you for the summary. Sounds like there were definitely some interesting nuggets.

1) Based on BY hysteria I was expecting Sanogo to be out until Feb. The fact that he's labeled "sooner rather than later" is fantastic. The injury he has can linger or be reaggrivated. If he is "close" already, I'd trade a week or two now to have him fully healthy from this down the stretch.

2) Great perspective on Jackson. Martin took big steps the past 2 seasons and is paying off this year. Would be a great model for Jackson to follow + he has a much higher ceiling than Martin due to his athleticism.

3) Was there any mention of Diggins to also take some of the pressure off Cole. I am a big Gaffney fan, but don't see him playing a freshman Bazz or junior Boat role. Was hoping to see Diggins do that (probably more the freshman Bazz role). At this point, Gaffney should be a depth piece like Beverly ('11) or Samuel ('14). But I'm all for Gaffney proving me wrong!

4) First true road game since at Tulane in March 2020. Will be a different environment for sure...

Reaction Score
I think the transfer bit is smart. No recruits think they're going to transfer going into school. People almost always see the upside instead of the downside risks. But playing into that by saying "we're the school where it works out because we care" is strong. It'll play very well with families/parents who DO care and think about those things. Continuity has shown to be important in the past.

But we'll see if it ends up backfiring if elite high major schools are able to consistently capitalize on the transfer market to year over year reload with star veterans who are so good they can overcome lack of continuity (super teams, essentially). The good news is that it should be a marketplace we can jump into later because of our Brand and immediate eligibility if it proves a necessity to compete.

Reaction Score
3) Was there any mention of Diggins to also take some of the pressure off Cole. I am a big Gaffney fan, but don't see him playing a freshman Bazz or junior Boat role. Was hoping to see Diggins do that (probably more the freshman Bazz role). At this point, Gaffney should be a depth piece like Beverly ('11) or Samuel ('14). But I'm all for Gaffney proving me wrong!
Nope, nothing about Diggins. Only talked about Hawk and Samson as it relates to the freshman. But he did say Gaff has to "start acting like a junior" so similar to Akok, they need the experienced guys to really start showing up every game especially as freshman are going to have some more minutes over some intense games the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
Nope, nothing about Diggins. Only talked about Hawk and Samson as it relates to the freshman. But he did say Gaff has to "start acting like a junior" so similar to Akok, they need the experienced guys to really start showing up every game especially as freshman are going to have some more minutes over some intense games the next few weeks.
Perhaps I’m reading between the tea leaves too much, but I noticed Hurley didn’t mention Diggins in the post game after Grambling when he went down the list of how everyone played, and now he also forego’s mentioning him here. He seems like way too much of a calculated guy for that to be a coincidence, but I also don’t know what the motivation would be. Maybe to light a fire in Diggins?

Reaction Score
Perhaps I’m reading between the tea leaves too much, but I noticed Hurley didn’t mention Diggins in the post game after Grambling when he went down the list of how everyone played, and now he also forego’s mentioning him here. He seems like way too much of a calculated guy for that to be a coincidence, but I also don’t know what the motivation would be. Maybe to light a fire in Diggins?
When there's not a lot to say, you don't have to say anything.

Reaction Score
This is certainly my sentiment...it's not bashing Gaff to say he's not where he should be. He puts up ok numbers against the 300+ ranked teams but not much else....hope he wakes up soon.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, Diggins will have a chance but he will have to show he can carve out a roll to keep playing when Tyrese and Adama come back.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That Hurley seeing Jackson's issue and is likely working on it, gives me hope. I don't think Ollie the last 3 seasons could have handled it.

Reaction Score
This is certainly my sentiment...it's not bashing Gaff to say he's not where he should be. He puts up ok numbers against the 300+ ranked teams but not much else....hope he wakes up soon.
Gaff was our best player in the NCAA Tournament last year. He has shown he can do it.

Reaction Score
I thought the Calhoun comments were very interesting. I have been saying to friends that Hurley needs a George Blaney. In this interview Danny said he hopes to have JC around all the time, “I’m not sure in what capacity”. Maybe JC for an analyst job with UConn Basketball? I’m sure he doesn’t want to travel with the team, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if he’d like to work with the team when on campus. If you listen to it, it seems like a little more Dan saying he hoped JC comes around to visit a lot. He covers his tracks by saying, “I know the university will have him around but...”.

Reaction Score
Notes for you all. Nothing ground breaking but still a great listen.

-No excuses when it comes to injuries even if they are 2 of the top 3 players not only on the team but in the conference
-Said what was reported earlier..."there's a shot" either guy is available before Jan 1.
-Sanogo is sooner rather than later at this point (barring a setback)
-Sounds like Martin "should be back around New Years" if not earlier (for Providence)
-"Need a lot more from Akok. It's an important time for Akok. He's got to deliver"
-Luxury to have Samson off the bench. "Exciting" and "scary" haha
-Need a little more offense from Whaley, both in the screen game and perimeter shot
-On Andre Jackson: "talk to Andre a lot about painting within the lines." Best combination of physical attributes Hurley has ever been around. But he needs to focus on being solid and filling a role before he can truly be great. Really wants him to take on Martin's toughness and rebounding while he's out and use Martin as a template for him.
-On Hawk: "James' 1st year was tough because were trying to not be embarrassing. With Jordan, we have a number next to our name and championship aspirations. he has to be able to play winning basketball, play with the team, be a good enough defender to not cost us games. we can live with freshman mistakes" but he doesn't have the leeway that Bouk was afforded because the program is on a different level.
-On RJ: Gaff is so important to take pressure off RJ. Didn't say this but need him to basically be a Bazz to Kemba or Boat to Bazz (albeit off the bench).
-On West Va: "Oof." "one of the best teams in the country on you turning it over and we've had major issues with that." "First true road game since pre COVID for us." (didnt think about that)
-On rest of BE: potential 6 or 7 bid league
-On Nova/Jay Wright: "from a culture standpoint, they're as good as it gets." "I want to have years with my players, I want to recruit out of high school and create a bond during the recruiting place with them and their families" which is what Nova does (aka no transfers!) Doesn't want guys in and out the door, wants continuity
-On Calhoun: "Don't even flinch" around Calhoun growing up a Hurley in NJ
-Calhoun still has an exercise bike in the coaches office lol. Hoping he'll be around a lot
-"We want to challenge your manhood out there on the court"
-A lot depends on AJ/Hawk making those jumps, Akok being full back, having Gaffney/Polley being productive off the bench
This might be our first OOC road game in the Hurley era. unless I misted one.
We scheduled home and away dates with decent teams in the AAC era.
Georgetown, Villanova, Ohio State ,Texas, Arizona, and Auburn come to mind.
But we will be playing in some tough places in conference so this is a good preview.

Reaction Score
This might be our first OOC road game in the Hurley era. unless I misted one.
We scheduled home and away dates with decent teams in the AAC era.
Georgetown, Villanova, Ohio State ,Texas, Arizona, and Auburn come to mind.
But we will be playing in some tough places in conference so this is a good preview.
Played @ Nova in Jan of 2020 when we were still in the AAC (I was there). I believe that was the game that produced the "you better get us now because we're coming" quote.

Reaction Score
Gaff was our best player in the NCAA Tournament last year. He has shown he can do it.
That was one game. Every scholarship player has the ability to do it, but he doesn’t seem to be able to do it against good competition too often.

Reaction Score
That was one game. Every scholarship player has the ability to do it, but he doesn’t seem to be able to do it against good competition too often.
But the poster said his only decent outings were against 300+ teams.

Besides, there is something to be noted about playing your best when the lights are the brightest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom