Join the Big East, Park FB in the MAC | The Boneyard

Join the Big East, Park FB in the MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some people here like to bash the Big East, but let's face it, that conference is still real nice. The Big East Tournament looked great on TV, their deal with Fox is incredible (I know, ratings are still growing, but they get those weekend fox national games and the station will continue to grow). As importantly, Fox actually treats the Big East as if it is a top notch product. They put 60% of their teams in the dance this year with good seedings. Their conference RPI is very respectable, again. Basically, the Big East has 10 teams with solid fan bases that actually care about basketball and some geographical continuity that makes for solid rivalries. We could join as team 11, they could move to a 20 games round robin schedule, I think that would be great.

Park football in the MAC. Why not? It's not like the AAC football is bringing us any positive momentum that is going to propel us to a P5 conference. It's actually the opposite. Our overall brand is being crushed by being the AAC.

If we go to the Big East we will still be treated with the respect of a major power basketball conference team, and we have just as much chance to make bowl games consistently out of the MAC as we do the AAC. We can hold our heads high as we compete at the highest level in hoops while our football team tries to regain some success out of the MAC.

Our current situation is just a disaster for the UConn "brand." We are affiliating with schools that we have nothing in common with, that have no respect in our flagship sport, have no geographical connection with, and quite frankly they are not the type of schools that are going to raise our overall profile. Schools like Providence, Villanova, Georgetown are very different types of institutions than UConn, but at least we can affiliate with them and have some pride that these are good schools that will help keep UConn's brand (as an academic institution) above water.

I am sure the typical Big East haters will jump down my throat here, but the time has come......

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Put basketball in the ACC. Football goes to the SEC. Hockey goes to the NHL Metropolitan Division. Women's hoops to the NBA. Baseball to the AL East. And the next poster to create yet another thread about this type of goes into a 3-day Boneyard timeout.

Reaction Score
Some people here like to bash the Big East, but let's face it, that conference is still real nice. The Big East Tournament looked great on TV, their deal with Fox is incredible (I know, ratings are still growing, but they get those weekend fox national games and the station will continue to grow). As importantly, Fox actually treats the Big East as if it is a top notch product. They put 60% of their teams in the dance this year with good seedings. Their conference RPI is very respectable, again. Basically, the Big East has 10 teams with solid fan bases that actually care about basketball and some geographical continuity that makes for solid rivalries. We could join as team 11, they could move to a 20 games round robin schedule, I think that would be great.

Park football in the MAC. Why not? It's not like the AAC football is bringing us any positive momentum that is going to propel us to a P5 conference. It's actually the opposite. Our overall brand is being crushed by being the AAC.

If we go to the Big East we will still be treated with the respect of a major power basketball conference team, and we have just as much chance to make bowl games consistently out of the MAC as we do the AAC. We can hold our heads high as we compete at the highest level in hoops while our football team tries to regain some success out of the MAC.

Our current situation is just a disaster for the UConn "brand." We are affiliating with schools that we have nothing in common with, that have no respect in our flagship sport, have no geographical connection with, and quite frankly they are not the type of schools that are going to raise our overall profile. Schools like Providence, Villanova, Georgetown are very different types of institutions than UConn, but at least we can affiliate with them and have some pride that these are good schools that will help keep UConn's brand (as an academic institution) above water.

I am sure the typical Big East haters will jump down my throat here, but the time has come.
Would they take us?

Reaction Score
louis-ck-louie-sighing.png

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Uconnjohn said:

I am sure the typical Big East haters will jump down my throat here, but the time has come.

Thank you for your interest in UConn Athletics.

Reaction Score
Acting like the MAC would automatically accept that tells me you have done zero research on this.
Why not? The MAC had Temple for years.

UConn is a good enough brand that it would be beneficial to the MAC. Why wouldn't they take us?

Reaction Score

Hey thanks for starting this thread man, great to discuss a new topic which has not been brought 400 times in the last 3 days. Really needed a breath of fresh air from all the other threads

Reaction Score
Why not? The MAC had Temple for years.

UConn is a good enough brand that it would be beneficial to the MAC. Why wouldn't they take us?
They would not take us as they want to have all conference schools all in on all sports. That is reason why UMASS left the MAC is that the conference told them they had to move all sports, specifically basketball to stay in conference.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
If we had this reputation 10 years ago we would have known what to do to get into the B1G or ACC. We just missed the train, as Calhoun said. I do not disagree, even though this has been discussed 100 times; this probably was a better move than the awful, awful American that should not even exist. But we would have had to make some kind of agreement with the P5 regarding football.

Reality- We have no choice but to beg for P5

Reaction Score
Put basketball in the ACC. Football goes to the SEC. Hockey goes to the NHL Metropolitan Division. Women's hoops to the NBA. Baseball to the AL East. And the next poster to create yet another thread about this type of goes into a 3-day Boneyard timeout.
That's awesome I can't wait for the UConn Whalers to win the Stanley cup!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I seriously do not understand this constant call for the Big East. Is it better for basketball than the American? Sure. But so far in the American we have one National Championship, and one NIT bid, which I hope becomes an NIT championship.

Year 1 of the Big East. No NCAA bid. Same with year 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. Year 9 they won the NIT. Year 11 was the dream team. So I'd say our time in the American is off to a pretty good start. Both the last two National Championship Teams didn't play in the NCAA the year before (although the APR affected one).

The sky is not falling. This team was not a good team. It didn't have bad players, quite the contrary, but it never meshed as a team. Next year will be different. Meanwhile, football is the ticket to permanent health for the athletic department. All basketball fans must acknowledge that.

Reaction Score
That's why UMass was kicked out of the MAC. Because they didn't want to compete in basketball in the MAC.
No way in hell does UConn hoops go to the MAC. That shuts out the football in the MAC theory.
Regarding joining the NBE in hoops, a couple of things. First, the AAC schools will join the P-5 schools in the enhanced scholarship aid. The NBE hasn't made an announcement regarding enhancing this aid. Can all these small catholic schools afford this? Big question.
Second, look at the new coaches of the AAC bottom feeders. None of these new coaches have bad reps when it comes to recruiting. It's very possible the AAC could leave the NBE in the dust in 5 years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Will you nitwits cut this out already?

Stop whacking off to your old BET videotapes. It's not happening. I hope you fools aren't this unbearable in real life.

Reaction Score
That's why UMass was kicked out of the MAC. Because they didn't want to compete in basketball in the MAC.
No way in hell does UConn hoops go to the MAC. That shuts out the football in the MAC theory.
Regarding joining the NBE in hoops, a couple of things. First, the AAC schools will join the P-5 schools in the enhanced scholarship aid. The NBE hasn't made an announcement regarding enhancing this aid. Can all these small catholic schools afford this? Big question.
Second, look at the new coaches of the AAC bottom feeders. None of these new coaches have bad reps when it comes to recruiting. It's very possible the AAC could leave the NBE in the dust in 5 years.

It's up to the individual teams, but several Big East teams including Providnce will Mach what ever the P5 does in basketball regarding enhanced aid

Reaction Score
It's up to the individual teams, but several Big East teams including Providnce will Mach what ever the P5 does in basketball regarding enhanced aid

It has to be all the teams, you cannot do this as a standalone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom