Join hoops, Big East football only | The Boneyard

Join hoops, Big East football only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on this? Might be better for Olympics and hoops while still providing some sort of schedule help/ potential access to top-tier bowls for football.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why would the hoops schools do this?

Reaction Score
Why would the hoops schools do this?

Cincy and UConn are going nowhere other than the "Big East" a new conference. Plus I am sure that if they form their own new conference, they would want some non Catholic members. They don't like a league that narrow. The Marquette AD said as much.

UConn and Cincy aren't going to leave this new framework, simply because the ACC isn't going to add them and neither is the B1G.

I think there is a chance they are thinking like this, although I may be going full @Mhver3 here.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think their mentality is for the football schools to pound sand.

Reaction Score
What is the benefit of staying with a relatively weak basketball league? The Big East football schools would actually be at least equal, probably better as a basketball league. Temple, Memphis, UConn Cincinatti are all as good or better than anyone in the CYO league. Georgetown and Marquette are fine, but after that its pretty sketchy. When was the last time Seton Hall was relevant to anyone? And please don't tell me St Johns is in any way significant any more. The last time they were a factor they had to cheat to do it and their coach got canned mid-season. This foolish pining for the old days of the Big East ignores the fact that in recent years it has been UConn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnatti, Syracuse that have been the power programs. Georgetown and to a lesser extent Marquette and Villanova have been supporting actors, not prime time players. It isn't 1985 any more.

caw

Reaction Score
What is the benefit of staying with a relatively weak basketball league? The Big East football schools would actually be at least equal, probably better as a basketball league. Temple, Memphis, UConn Cincinatti are all as good or better than anyone in the CYO league. Georgetown and Marquette are fine, but after that its pretty sketchy. When was the last time Seton Hall was relevant to anyone? And please don't tell me St Johns is in any way significant any more. The last time they were a factor they had to cheat to do it and their coach got canned mid-season. This foolish pining for the old days of the Big East ignores the fact that in recent years it has been UConn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnatti, Syracuse that have been the power programs. Georgetown and to a lesser extent Marquette and Villanova have been supporting actors, not prime time players. It isn't 1985 any more.

It all depends on who else is added to each league:

UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, USF, UCF, SMU, Houston, Tulane

vs

UConn, Cincy, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Saint John's, Villanova, DePaul

Can the CYO league add someone like Butler, Creighton?

Who would the non-CYO league add? UTEP? UAB? Marshall? ECU? Buffalo? UNLV (too far), SDSU (too far).

The 9 starters for each league are pretty even, but once you add on to get to 12+ then it starts to get weaker on the non-CYO side. So the question is, how big do you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom