Johnnie Harris named head coach at Auburn | The Boneyard

Johnnie Harris named head coach at Auburn

Reaction Score
Glad to see Johnnie Harris getting a head coaching job. While this has already been a big topic on MSU message boards, the only real impact that matters is how this hire changes the dynamics at Texas. She has been described as the "good cop" to offset Vic's "bad cop" persona, so we'll see who steps in to fill that role at Texas now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Glad to see Johnnie Harris getting a head coaching job. While this has already been a big topic on MSU message boards, the only real impact that matters is how this hire changes the dynamics at Texas. She has been described as the "good cop" to offset Vic's "bad cop" persona, so we'll see who steps in to fill that role at Texas now.
Texas's hire of Vic away from MSU was a massive coup, and keeping his coaching staff intact was IMO a double-coup. This breaks up the proven success formula, and I'm sure no one is more aware than Vic that Harris's well-deserved opportunity leaves a huge hole to fill in his staff.

Congrats to Johnnie btw. I'll be rooting for Auburn next year.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Johnnie btw. I'll be rooting for Auburn next year.
Losing Thompson is gonna suck. They do have HSG back and given the large transfer portal and lots of options, this makes it a more ideal transition time than other years IMO. The roster needed to be turned over as is.

Reaction Score
All the Miss St players that she recruited which are probably all of them in the transfer portal are probably headed her way. And the ones who haven’t entered the portal are also probably headed that way. Bad timing for Vic. Most of them wanted to play and advocated for her to be the next coach before they hired NMP. I remember she wanted the job and she said when she talked to them(hiring folks) it was only for protocol purposes; they already knew who they were gonna hire. I expect her to do a really good because she knows the southern region really well. I think this is a better fit than Oklahoma. —btw she should’ve gotten that job at Miss St

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It will be tough to turn Auburn around with nearby programs like Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Tennessee on the ascent. And, still have MSU, LSU, Florida State, and Florida fighting for recruits from the same region.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when Auburn was a Final Four contender. Hard to believe that they didn't hire someone with head coaching experience; but, perhaps she was the best candidate who applied. Or, perhaps they don't want to pay a huge salary.

Reaction Score
It will be tough to turn Auburn around with nearby programs like Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Tennessee on the ascent. And, still have MSU, LSU, Florida State, and Florida fighting for recruits from the same region.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when Auburn was a Final Four contender. Hard to believe that they didn't hire someone with head coaching experience; but, perhaps she was the best candidate who applied. Or, perhaps they don't want to pay a huge salary.
Scratch LSU off that list lol

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
It was such a no brainer for State to have promoted her last year. It did not guarantee that we would have been successful but the team this year would have at least played hard and been competitive and would have won more games than we lost.

Without a doubt the State fan base would have been behind her and would have stuck with her even if/when the team lost some games. She had a great connection with the fans.

I also believe her relationship with players would have changed and would have had some stumbling blocks along the way. But that it would have been something they would have worked through.

She will do well at Auburn and I am proud for her.

Reaction Score

Chance for her to show what she can do. I like the hiring of Coach Harris for this Auburn coaching position. In time we will see. I just hope that people are patient with the new hire and give the coach a little time.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Chance for her to show what she can do. I like the hiring of Coach Harris for this Auburn coaching position. In time we will see. I just hope that people are patient with the new hire and give the coach a little time.
Patience costs money. She's not the first that gets hired at a P5 conference school with zero head coaching experience. But, comparing her situation to what someone like Kyra Elzy inherited at Kentucky is like night and day. I don't think it will be an easy rebuilding job for Johnnie, in addition to having to learn on the job.

Reaction Score
If Dawn Staley had retired after the NC, I'm sure South Carolina might have made an internal hire to try and continue the program's trajectory and toughness and fight.

that hire would likely have been Nikki McCray.

The more good programs in the SEC the merrier, so I wish Harris the best of luck outside of direct recruiting battles in the Southeast.

Reaction Score
It was such a no brainer for State to have promoted her last year. It did not guarantee that we would have been successful but the team this year would have at least played hard and been competitive and would have won more games than we lost.

Without a doubt the State fan base would have been behind her and would have stuck with her even if/when the team lost some games. She had a great connection with the fans.

I also believe her relationship with players would have changed and would have had some stumbling blocks along the way. But that it would have been something they would have worked through.

She will do well at Auburn and I am proud for her.
I agree. I know the rationale behind hiring NPM was she had been a HC helped her get the job but it was a bad move IMO.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I agree. I know the rationale behind hiring NPM was she had been a HC helped her get the job but it was a bad move IMO.
To be fair, any coaching transition is ALWAYS a crapshoot. Sure things are pure fantasy, and it's always easy to pick over the remains of a disappointing season with unfailing wisdom.

Vic (not unlike many uber-successful coaches) has a rather idiosyncratic style that, while amazingly effective, is not replicable by 99% of other coaches.

The road to success is not always a straight line, and sometimes it's less straight than others. I, for one, am hoping that whatever happens, the Bulldog faithful find the way back to better times sooner than later.

Reaction Score
To be fair, any coaching transition is ALWAYS a crapshoot. Sure things are pure fantasy, and it's always easy to pick over the remains of a disappointing season with unfailing wisdom.

Vic (not unlike many uber-successful coaches) has a rather idiosyncratic style that, while amazingly effective, is not replicable by 99% of other coaches.

The road to success is not always a straight line, and sometimes it's less straight than others. I, for one, am hoping that whatever happens, the Bulldog faithful find the way back to better times sooner than later.
Agreed and there is no way to know if Harris would have done any better. I think she would have but pure speculation

Reaction Score
If Dawn Staley had retired after the NC, I'm sure South Carolina might have made an internal hire to try and continue the program's trajectory and toughness and fight.

that hire would likely have been Nikki McCray.

The more good programs in the SEC the merrier, so I wish Harris the best of luck outside of direct recruiting battles in the Southeast.
It would only make sense in my opinion. She has been there for almost all of Dawn’s success in building that program from the ground up. She wasn’t there in Starkville building that program like Harris.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Was it previously measured in JPMs?
200w.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members