John Wall, portrait of a 20 million dollar a year loser. | The Boneyard

John Wall, portrait of a 20 million dollar a year loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/four-d...ain-t-trying-to-waste-a-season-164836324.html

Having established himself as one of the best players in basketball, Wall has grown frustrated with his relatively low profile nationally and in Washington. Wall has few endorsements and became a sneaker free agent when his contract with adidas expired last September. He feels the limited exposure contributed to him finishing sixth in All-Star voting for Eastern Conference guards one year after finishing first.

“The type of player I am, and person I am, character I have, I should be seen on commercials, in the nation’s eyes and the people’s eyes. And I haven’t,” Wall told The Vertical. “I want to leave a legacy and you can’t leave a legacy hiding behind the doors, and I think that’s what I did my first six years really. It ain’t like I want to be bigger and better than anybody, I just think it’s an opportunity to be seen. Where’s my little share?”

For Wall, the change is startling considering his popularity after one season at Kentucky, where “I was everywhere,” Wall said. “I ain’t got no billboards in D.C.”

Reaction Score
I'm sure there is some truth to what he's saying, and he's a phenomenal player, but given where Washington is in the standings, this probably isn't the best look.

Reaction Score
DC fans in general are a disgrace but the Wizards support is by far the worst of the major sports teams down here. Everyone is also convinced that getting KD in the off season is a strong possibility and I don't see any chance of that happening.

Reaction Score
As someone who isn't a fan of the Wizards and doesn't live near DC, my impression of Wall is that he's pretty quiet and nobody ever hears boo from him. Plus as someone pointed out above, the Wizards haven't been very good so people around the country don't see him or hear from him much. So why would any companies want him as a spokesperson for their products?

Reaction Score
DC fans in general are a disgrace but the Wizards support is by far the worst of the major sports teams down here. Everyone is also convinced that getting KD in the off season is a strong possibility and I don't see any chance of that happening.

The Capitals just passed 300 consecutive sell outs at Verizon Center. So don't label all DC sport fans as a disgrace, the hockey fans show up and they are very, very loud.

Reaction Score
$20M sore loser? Based on his skill set and output, he is more than justified as a $20M player in the NBA. I can understand his frustration, I mean basketball is a team sport and frankly the rest of the Wizards have regressed big time since last year.

As for Wall, I think he is the kind of player that the Celtics can trade in their draft capital to acquire. I wish this had come out before the trade deadline because he would have been the piece to push them closer to Cleveland, but I'd be just as happy if Ainge can make something happen in the offseason.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Capitals just passed 300 consecutive sell outs at Verizon Center. So don't label all DC sport fans as a disgrace, the hockey fans show up and they are very, very loud.
I've been to ~25 Wiz/Caps games over the last year so have a pretty accurate picture of the crowds. The Caps fans are without a doubt substantially better than the Wiz ones, but let's not pretend that they don't falsely report attendance figures. I've been at games that they report as sold out and the VZN Center is barely half full.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
But complaining that you need to be on billboards and in commercials while your team loses and loses and loses makes him a crybaby and loser.

You are acting as though the perpetual losing is Wall's fault...

Reaction Score
Everyone has tragedy in their lives, it's part of the human condition. And I have sympathy for Wall or anyone who loses a family member or friend.

But complaining that you need to be on billboards and in commercials while your team loses and loses and loses makes him a crybaby and loser.
Try reading the article before you commenting next time, or at least comprehending it and why it was posted in response to you calling the guy a "loser".

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
He robbed Kemba of an AS spot
Like LaVine robbed Gordon in the slam dunk
but IDC about this article did not read

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/four-d...ain-t-trying-to-waste-a-season-164836324.html

Having established himself as one of the best players in basketball, Wall has grown frustrated with his relatively low profile nationally and in Washington. Wall has few endorsements and became a sneaker free agent when his contract with adidas expired last September. He feels the limited exposure contributed to him finishing sixth in All-Star voting for Eastern Conference guards one year after finishing first.

“The type of player I am, and person I am, character I have, I should be seen on commercials, in the nation’s eyes and the people’s eyes. And I haven’t,” Wall told The Vertical. “I want to leave a legacy and you can’t leave a legacy hiding behind the doors, and I think that’s what I did my first six years really. It ain’t like I want to be bigger and better than anybody, I just think it’s an opportunity to be seen. Where’s my little share?”

For Wall, the change is startling considering his popularity after one season at Kentucky, where “I was everywhere,” Wall said. “I ain’t got no billboards in D.C.”

Funny how you didn't quote this part:

“I know what our goal is, to try to go after Kevin, which is not a bad situation. But my ultimate goal is this year. I ain’t trying to waste a season,” Wall recently told The Vertical. “I’m in my sixth year. Time don’t wait for nobody and I’ve dealt with it my first three years of not being in the playoffs. I know how it feels to have a longer summer, a longer vacation. I don’t want that. I want to be seen on TV. I know the city wants to see that. And as a point guard, you get known as being a winner in this league, not being a loser. And that’s something I never want to do. Since I’ve been in the playoffs, I want to finish my career making the playoffs every single year if I have the opportunity.”

Wall is having arguably the finest statistical season of his career at a time when his team his trying to avoid capsizing under a deluge of injuries, inconsistency and defensive inefficiency. The grind has been especially hard on Wall, the only player on the team to start all 54 games despite dealing with some minor injuries that require frequent attention. He has felt an obligation to keep suiting up because, “I knew I didn’t want to get too far behind. I knew the team needed me as much as possible.”

There's a loser in this thread, and it ain't Wall.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't see how a basketball player seeking more exposure is a bad thing. These guys have brands and can make plenty extra money through advertisements and shoe deals. The one thing I have to ask though, how can John walls agent not get deals for John wall? I don't care if no one watches wizards basketball, he's always been a big name and top ten pg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom