John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish | The Boneyard

John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw it on Twitter via Brett McMurphy

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Just heard it from Bill King - stunner.

Hire. Kevin. Weiberg. ...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Quick takeaway?

Providence College now has a job opening for an assistant AD.

Reaction Score
He probably didn't want to have to deal with 4 time zones as the Big East commissioner. Or . . . did he abandon the conference too, taking a page out of Miami, BCU, VT, Syracuse,Pitt and West Virginia's playbook?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So, either the Conference presidents forced him out, or... he's pulling a Captain Schettino and abandoning ship while it sinks. Awfully curious to find out which.

Reaction Score
Wow. Sounds like bad news when he is throwing in the towel. The other way to look at it is that it could be good news for us.

You have to think the newcomers to the conference are going to tread lightly as we go forward here.

Reaction Score
McMurphy says Big East Presidents asked him to step down.

epark88

Reaction Score
Word on the street: the league presidents asked JM to step down over the weekend.

Hold on tight, folks - turbulence just ahead...

Reaction Score
I have not heard or read anything on this yet. But, I'm betting dollars to donuts that he's being ousted. There is no way that an over-achiever that doesn't deserve the job he has is going to willfully walk away from it.

Maybe we can find a spot in our AD for him. The salary precedent has been established: $1 per year.

epark88

Reaction Score
I'm hearing that Dan Gavitt may be ready to take over Daddy's conference.

Geez, I hope not. The Big East needs a football guy right now...

Reaction Score
Highly Highly doubt Marinatto won't continue to have an important role in the Big East. This conference is his now and has been for a long time, and I don't think there is any bad blood among conference leadership and Marinatto. MY opinion. Fact though - Contrary to popular belief, as I've said many times, Marinatto is directly responsible for the continued existence of the big east since Miami won the national championship in football in 2002, and then left bringing VTech and BC with them, and tehrefore responsible for our place among an AQ conference joining in 2004, b/c w/o big east football, we are in the same position that UMass is in now, in 2003.

I thank John Marinatto, from the bottom of my heart, for all the hard work he has done both behind the scenes, and as commissioner since 2002.

Tranghese wanted the league dissolved then in 2003, as he did in the 1990s too prior to the addition of ND in everything but football. Marinatto, IMO, is not stepping down willingly from his position - and as businesslawyer has astutely pointed our a long time, the only way a conference commissioner is put out, is if the constituency leadership members of the board, vote him out.

What this looks like to me, is that university leadership over the weekend, and prior to beginning big east meetings shortly, decided that they wanted to go into media talks in September with fresh negotiation personalities, untarnished by the big east past with clean slates for media talks come September.

We'll see who they bring in. The pieces of the puzzle keep falling in line for UConn. IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm hearing that Dan Gavitt may be ready to take over Daddy's conference.

Geez, I hope not. The Big East needs a football guy right now...

Jesus Harold Christ on rubber crutches. God help us if that is the case.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This explains Marinatto's silence around the BCS meetings as he probably knew he was out. My guess is the BE is going to move their offices from Providence (to NY?) and start fresh.
It would only be too logical.

Reaction Score
This is a big hire and will be telling on how seriously the Big East plans on being as a football conference in the coming years.

Reaction Score
This explains Marinatto's silence around the BCS meetings as he probably knew he was out. My guess is the BE is going to move their offices from Providence (to NY?) and start fresh.
From your keyboard to the sports gods' ears

Reaction Score
About Marinatto: since I can't know what's going on behind the scenes, I can only judge him by the things he says publicly, and the things he used to say publicly were stupid as hell.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
About Marinatto: since I can't know what's going on behind the scenes, I can only judge him by the things he says publicly, and the things he used to say publicly were stupid as hell.

The roses sent to the Big-12 comish always bugged the hell out of me... just no foresight... the fact that the Big 12 didn't dissolve lead almost directly to the mess we have today.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What about Hathaway? His salary is cheap...

*excuse me while I duck out of the way*

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that bad news is coming and I hope not. But, the complexion of the BE has changed with the new expansion. The BE football conference is made up of ambitious, upwardly mobile schools that want to become football powers. Clearly, they don't want the ex-PC AD as head of the conference. Also, can you see Susan Herbst selecting Marinatto to head the BE? Would she locate the conference HQ in Providence? I think not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom