John Fanta breaks down the Big East | The Boneyard

John Fanta breaks down the Big East

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
#BIGEASThoops Notebook: Looking Ahead - Big East Conference

UConn
Here’s what we know about the Huskies: they will defend and rebound as well as anyone in the BIG EAST. In their return season to the league, UConn allowed only 64.6 points per game and owned a +5.1 rebounding margin, both of which were best in the conference. The Huskies have a large amount of their core back with RJ Cole, Tyrese Martin, Tyler Polley, Isaiah Whaley, Adama Sanogo and others. The question: Who will be the Huskies’ alpha? With James Bouknight gone to the NBA, UConn is looking for someone to step up and be the lead scorer offensively. Martin could be someone who takes on more after averaging 10 and eight last season. A healthy Andre Jackson could be a breakout candidate for the Huskies. He was recruited to be a dynamic wing for UConn. Coach Dan Hurley and his staff also bring in the league’s No. 2 recruiting class according to 247 Sports, with four-star guards Jordan Hawkins and Rahsool Diggins joined by four-star center Samson Johnson. The offense could also take on a by-committee approach with different players stepping up when needed, such as Polley, who was vital for the Huskies at times from beyond the three-point arc, particularly when Bouknight was sidelined last year with an injury. There’s no question in my mind that Sanogo (7.3 points, 4.8 rebounds last year) should take a significant leap in his second year. He’s primed for it, and will be one of the best bigs in the league. Again, experience usually wins in college basketball and UConn has plenty of it. Identifying their star in late-game situations will be interesting to watch, but with the length they have inside and Cole at the point guard spot, there’s no reason why the Huskies shouldn’t be one of the top teams in the BIG EAST and returning to the Big Dance floor in March.

Reaction Score
That's a fair, logical and knowledgeable summary of what we should expect. You don't see many of those.

The pieces are there, if a Batman and a Robin emerge among a deep, talented and relatively experienced group. But without such an emergence, we're not going to be a favorite to get to the second weekend.

Reaction Score
That's a fair, logical and knowledgeable summary of what we should expect. You don't see many of those.

The pieces are there, if a Batman and a Robin emerge among a deep, talented and relatively experienced group. But without such an emergence, we're not going to be a favorite to get to the second weekend.
Just take a deep breath and embrace it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

IDK.
Any analysis which mentions Martin first when discussing picking up Bouk's scoring load,is suspect to me.
I'll give Fanta credit though. He preferences everything except Sanogo's role with "could" which means he can't be wrong.

Reaction Score
IDK.
Any analysis which mentions Martin first when discussing picking up Bouk's scoring load,is suspect to me.
I'll give Fanta credit though. He preferences everything except Sanogo's role with "could" which means he can't be wrong.
Tyrese really gets no respect here. The kid is TOUGH and does deserve some mention since Bouk left. "Martin could be someone who takes on more after averaging 10 and eight last season." There is no way that Fanta can say for certain that Martin WILL because in his short stint when Bouk was out he raised his game he probably did not see enough of Martin in the main role. when Bouk came back his #'s went down.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Tyrese really gets no respect here. The kid is TOUGH and does deserve some mention since Bouk left. "Martin could be someone who takes on more after averaging 10 and eight last season." There is no way that Fanta can say for certain that Martin WILL because in his short stint when Bouk was out he raised his game he probably did not see enough of Martin in the main role. when Bouk came back his #'s went down.
He's a really solid player who rebounds well and is a nice point forward. Needs to work on his 3pt shooting, free throws, and finishing at the rim ( yes I know) but in all other aspects of the game he's very solid. He brings a toughness mentality to the team

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's only somewhat a shot at Tyrese and more a shot at Fanta.
He makes a firm call on Sanogo but everything else is Polley could,...Martin could.....The recruits could.....Jackson could......

No kidding. It all could happen. Make a call and justify it. And justify why you think someone is going to improve.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's a really solid player who rebounds well and is a nice point forward. Needs to work on his 3pt shooting, free throws, and finishing at the rim ( yes I know) but in all other aspects of the game he's very solid. He brings a toughness mentality to the team

Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the rest of the play. You just described an inefficient offensive ayer which is what Martin is. And that's not the worst thing. He hustles, defends the wing and rebounds. It's his offense that gets marginalized on high level teams. I like him but he was at his best when UConn was at its worst. Yes, that was without Bouk but I don't see Bouk getting many minutes at UConn next year. Martin has three seasons of college stats. He is what he is.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the rest of the play. You just described an inefficient offensive ayer which is what Martin is. And that's not the worst thing. He hustles, defends the wing and rebounds. It's his offense that gets marginalized on high level teams. I like him but he was at his best when UConn was at its worst. Yes, that was without Bouk but I don't see Bouk getting many minutes at UConn next year. Martin has three seasons of college stats. He is what he is.
I know I did, I typed it. I would have him play more than Polley and Jackson (as of now). We got him in great positions last year to score, if he improved over the season it shouldn't be a problem if we can do the same again this year

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Tough buckets against tough teams at tough times will determine the season outcome. That and everyone willing to play together. Polley shooting well from three wouldn't hurt none, either.

Reaction Score
I like him but he was at his best when UConn was at its worst. Yes, that was without Bouk but I don't see Bouk getting many minutes at UConn next year. Martin has three seasons of college stats. He is what he is.
Is that not when good players play when teams are down? He is not what he is, players practice and improve. You could of said that about Whaley a few years back or may be you did?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is that not when good players play when teams are down? He is not what he is, players practice and improve. You could of said that about Whaley a few years back or may be you did?

No. Even bad teams have a leading scorer.

I like Martin a bunch when he is expected to do anything but score.

He's below average shooting the three, has never shot 70% from the line and is Antric Klaiber bad at the rim. But he has a role on this team and I'll root like heck for him.
I don't believe players of his skillset score much on high level teams.

Reaction Score
No. Even bad teams have a leading scorer.

I like Martin a bunch when he is expected to do anything but score.

He's below average shooting the three, has never shot 70% from the line and is Antric Klaiber bad at the rim. But he has a role on this team and I'll root like heck for him.
I don't believe players of his skillset score much on high level teams.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't mind being completely wrong in this post, but the very first negative take on last year's team was, "OMG, we don't have a point guard."

Throughout the season, there was an overall dearth of good shots. I'm not even sure the team's shooters are as bad as we largely resigned ourselves to thinking they were. I therefore think "could" applies to a 'team of mystery,' and that past performance, by coaches as well as players, will not necessarily predict upcoming performance.

I wish for team chemistry, player health, and a matured conception of offense that is well-executed. The gamesmanship against more experienced coaches in what was a new league last year will benefit from a year of prior experience. I see many possibilies for surprise.

Reaction Score
Summer thoughts.

If coaches aren't confident in a real outside threat developing. What is left?

This team almost begs for old school sets. Inside out. High screens - dump down low to Sanogo/Whaley/ Johnson(?)

Do teams even practice playing D against those sets at the college level, anymore?

Summer time...and the livin's easy

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Solid assessment.
Although I love Martin and what he brings to this team, he can't be our primary scoring option. He will be our leading scorer on the occasional night, but he's not really that guy. He's more of a jack of all trades kind of guy. He'll give us a little of anything when needed.

We need Gaffney and Cole to be our alpha scorers, night in and night out. Sanogo will give us some consistent scoring down low too, I would guess. And hopefully Polley can snipe a couple 3s each night.

I'm thinking Jackson will take over some ball handling duties and open things up off the ball for Gaffney, Cole and Polley as well. We need a great shooting season from those 3 guys.

Reaction Score
YOU ... all are leaving out a few obvious things. Both Maryland & Creighton were experienced 5s with good depth that played as a Team ... and guess what. We lacked some coordinated toughness and team. Frankly. One year ... months and months ... and one more year of playing together will do wonders. Creighton disappointed me when they lost in the MM. But, you find roles and you play together. We will be better even without Bouknight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Let's start with you will lose with zero rebounds.

Then you can determine what is the worst rebounding margin you can have and still win at a high level.

UConn was a poor shooting team last year which opens up a bunch of offensive rebounding opportunities. And UConn wasn't exactly efficient converting offensive rebounds in to buckets. Uconn's defense was elite and translated in to a strong defensive rebounding percentage.

Give me a team that takes care of the defensive glass and is efficient on the offensive glass and I like my chances of winning a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom