John A. update on Heather | The Boneyard

John A. update on Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ugh. Not liking the sound of that at all :(. Looks like Kiah may need to do some learning in a hurry and gear up for more playing time, whether she is ready or not.

Here is hoping for a late Christmas present for Heather (and the team) with good news on the MRI front.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i did not know that some breaks won't show up for a few weeks. i guess the MRI will clear that up. still hoping it's on the lesser side, but yes, Kiah might need to be relied on much more going forward for next month or so...

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
i did not know that some breaks won't show up for a few weeks. i guess the MRI will clear that up. still hoping it's on the lesser side, but yes, Kiah might need to be relied on much more going forward for next month or so...

MRIs are usually most helpful to evaluate soft tissue injuries -- not very small bone fractures.

My bet is that Heather's Docs are looking for much more information than supplemental support for the X-ray conclusions. I'll bet Heather has a very sore wrist, and substantial swelling. And the treatment she is getting is to reduce the swelling.

As most swelling is symptomatic of soft tissue injury, I am not expecting Heather back on the court any time soon.

Bummer.

Reaction Score
MRIs are usually most helpful to evaluate soft tissue injuries -- not very small bone fractures.

My bet is that Heather's Docs are looking for much more information than supplemental support for the X-ray conclusions. I'll bet Heather has a very sore wrist, and substantial swelling. And the treatment she is getting is to reduce the swelling.

As most swelling is symptomatic of soft tissue injury, I am not expecting Heather back on the court any time soon.

Bummer.

your comments regarding not using mri for small bone fractures piqued my interest. a little googling brought me to a site which actually discussed the bones of the wrist, and mri use. among other things, it said that the scaphoid bone is the most commonly broken bone in the wrist, usually happening when someone falls, and lands on their outstretched hand. it went on to say that when a scaphoid bone break is suspected, an mri can actually be helpful before further xrays might. it sounds like this is not a bone of the wrist you want to break, with long recovery time, and stiffness often remaining in the wrist. hope this is not the case for heather.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
your comments regarding not using mri for small bone fractures piqued my interest. a little googling brought me to a site which actually discussed the bones of the wrist, and mri use. among other things, it said that the scaphoid bone is the most commonly broken bone in the wrist, usually happening when someone falls, and lands on their outstretched hand. it went on to say that when a scaphoid bone break is suspected, an mri can actually be helpful before further xrays might. it sounds like this is not a bone of the wrist you want to break, with long recovery time, and stiffness often remaining in the wrist. hope this is not the case for heather.
It is the exact bone that many baseball players break in the hand/wrist.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I too didn't think that a break might still be detected. I am concerned about ligaments.

Looking ahead--IF it is a very long recovery--was Heather just under the limit for games to get another Redshirt year? I hate to ask, but someone was going to.

This really sucks, because Heather appeared to be coming into her own.

Take care and best wishes, Heather!

Reaction Score
As mentioned above it looks like Kiah is going to be pressed into service, ready or not. It may be a great opportunity since circumstances may require Geno to allow her to play through her mistakes. Hope she takes advantage of the situation and I hope Heather's absence is a short one.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As mentioned above it looks like Kiah is going to be pressed into service, ready or not. It may be a great opportunity since circumstances may require Geno to allow her to play through her mistakes. Hope she takes advantage of the situation and I hope Heather's absence is a short one.

some players need this...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This discussion about Heather and Kiah and how they are needed to back Stefanie up gotme to thiinking.

Is it POSSIBLE? that we may trace the biggest reason for our recent loss to Baylor back about a year? When Samarie decided to transfer to Kentucky?

This may be a stretch but this possibility got into my head and I haven't yet dismissed it.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
This discussion about Heather and Kiah and how they are needed to back Stefanie up gotme to thiinking.

Is it POSSIBLE? that we may trace the biggest reason for our recent loss to Baylor back about a year? When Samarie decided to transfer to Kentucky?

This may be a stretch but this possibility got into my head and I haven't yet dismissed it.

No, that thought has crossed my mind more than once. Too bad, it didn't work out. We might well be at 8 and counting, with a ridiculous win streak. But, some things don't work out.

Reaction Score

no

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

More likely we trace it back to the departure of EDD.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It started with the loss of Jessica McCormack who would have been a Senior last year, if I recall correctly. She would have been a big help last year when Stef got into foul trouble against ND.

Then EDD and Samarie.Both also would have made a difference last year against ND and this year against Baylor.

For all the success Geno has had with getting post players, he's had just as many that haven't panned out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"For all the success Geno has had with getting post players, he's had just as many that haven't panned out."
I'd put it this way.

For the few post players Geno has had that haven't panned out, he has had many more that he has had success with.​

But that's just me.​

Reaction Score

Who's Samarie??;)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno has had Three true All American Post players so far in his tenure at UConn. Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters and Tina Charles. He went 10 years between Kara Wolters and Tina Charles. Since 1997 other then Tina, it seems Geno misses out on getting the #1 rated post player coming out of High, School in any given year. Stef was the #2 ranked post player in her class. She could be unlucky as with Griner and Elizabeth Williams (Duke), I don't see her making 1st team All American in her UConn career. The other true post player that had success at UConn and in the pros was Jessica Moore who never made 1st team All American. I consider Ashja Jones and Tamika Williams as forwards and not true post players. Both did play some time at the center position in college, but never in the pros.

He's had considerably more success at the other positions in having players that received National Recognition and in the recruitment of Top 10 rated players coming out of High School.

This is just an observation and a way to pass time between now and the next game. :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Geno has had Three true All American Post players so far in his tenure at UConn. Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters and Tina Charles. He went 10 years between Kara Wolters and Tina Charles. Since 1997 other then Tina, it seems Geno misses out on getting the #1 rated post player coming out of High, School in any given year. Stef was the #2 ranked post player in her class. She could be unlucky as with Griner and Elizabeth Williams (Duke), I don't see her making 1st team All American in her UConn career. The other true post player that had success at UConn and in the pros was Jessica Moore who never made 1st team All American. I consider Ashja Jones and Tamika Williams as forwards and not true post players. Both did play some time at the center position in college, but never in the pros.
He's had considerably more success at the other positions in having players that received National Recognition and in the recruitment of Top 10 rated players coming out of High School.
This is just an observation and a way to pass time between now and the next game. :)

Not sure why you feel you have to explain what your post is for. They are all ways to pass the time.

If you are going to include Samarie, I don't see how you don't include at least 2 of the 3 forwards from 2001. And you left out Shuemaker. EDD is a post? I don't think so. She is tall enough to play it.

If your criteria is AA then why include McCormick?

I just disagree with your original statement and posted my opinion. No big deal. Just passing time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
My original post has two different topics.

1) Players that were one time on the UConn's roster that could have helped UConn win last years National Championship. They are McCormick, EDD and Samarie. Obviously Smarie and EDD are not true post players but can fill the roll if necessary. If EDD was on the roster, then definitely UConn wins last years National Championship if she's healthy. No guarantee about Samarie and McCormick.

2) Then the last sentence is an observation that Geno hasn't had great success in recruiting post players as compared to other positions, which I still contend is true.

I did overlook Kelly Schumacher as a post player that did have success at UConn. She is best known as having 9 blocks against Tenn in the 2000 Championship game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom