John A.: The story of how UConn landed Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A.: The story of how UConn landed Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Luck? Luck?! You besmirch the brilliance of Mr. Toner who while possibly missing on some other coaches knew exactly what he was doing in basketball.:eek::rolleyes::cool:
A little trivia: an unknown at the time, Lou Holtz served as UConn assistant football coach in the 64-65 season. Could that be one of the coaches that got away?

I guess I was a little deprived while at UConn. ( no, not depraved.) I graduated in 1969, Title IX was in 1972. I don't remember ANY girls in the field house, playing basketball or anything else. There must have been Women's teams at the time (Tennis, Swimming, Gymnastics), but I don't remember seeing any of them... Of course, at my age, there are a lot of things I don't remember...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Like most things in life there's always a little luck involved. Landing top sports coaches is no exception.

Jim did have some success at Northeastern, and there will always be a few guys who claim they knew in 1985-86 that Calhoun would be a great hire. Still, his story, and his ascent is the stuff of legend.

What also should get a bit more coverage than stated in this story is how Chris Dailey came to be the person Geno wanted as an assistant. She too has been a godsend to the UConn program, as uniquely talented an assistant as has ever sat/stood along the sidelines of a basketball court.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
dang... John's story just stopped it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads