John A: Team needs a vocal leader | The Boneyard

John A: Team needs a vocal leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to agree and made the comment after the Baylor Game.

Sims is Baylor's vocal leader with the will not to lose. I don't see that player on UConn.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris agrees.

“We don’t have a specific vocal leader, the kind of person who will sit there and call someone out,” Fairs said. “That’s been this team’s downfall so far. Coach is right. Holding each other accountable would mean so much more. That is something a few of will need to start doing.

“We respect Coach, we know what he says is right. But apparently, some people aren’t responding to him. So maybe a teammate needs to get into a face and tell them this is how it’s going to be. We will work on that after the break.”

This comment scares me a little.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The player that concerns me the most is Stefanie Dolson. She seems to have taken a step or two backwards. And, it appears, that as a result she's been spending a lot of time on the bench.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Which is so strange because at the beginning of the season Geno basically said she was the leader of the team as a sophomore. None of them seem to have the personality to do that...Tiff is quiet, Kelly leads by example, Bria does a bit but also leads with her play...maybe KML next season will, she seems to be feisty...I don't know, it could be a problem. I wonder who isn't responding to Geno?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"Downfall" seems like too strong a word at this point. They haven't exactly been tanking. Off to FL for a week. Have fun all.

Reaction Score
Numerous threads here over the past few months would have given one the indication that Caroline Doty was and is supposed to be that leader this season. What has happened?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Numerous threads here over the past few months would have given one the indication that Caroline Doty was and is supposed to be that leader this season. What has happened?
We may have had a hint about that from Geno a couple of weeks ago concerning Caroline being frustrated and distracted internally by her inability to play the way she was used to doing. Her internal struggle may be distracting her from that role.

Reaction Score
It would be hard for someone with physical challenges like C Doty to be a vocal leader. I wonder if Kelly Faris can take up the slack. Hartley is still learning the offensive and defensive schemes.

Reaction Score
It would be hard for someone with physical challenges like C Doty to be a vocal leader. I wonder if Kelly Faris can take up the slack. Hartley is still learning the offensive and defensive schemes.
What ????

Reaction Score
Geno plays this motivational card nearly every year. Nothing to be overly concerned about. Just something for them to think about over break.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno plays this motivational card nearly every year. Nothing to be overly concerned about. Just something for them to think about over break.
Very close to truth, Scotter.

Reaction Score
Silent leader, is like saying moral victory... every team needs someone who in some fashion gets in a teammates face when they don't bring it, or is not doing something the right way.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Bria and Kelly need to step up. Stef seems to be going through the dreaded "sophomore slump", CD is dealing with the knee still, and Tiff has obviously not grown into the vocal leader role that the team needs. As underclassmen it would be best if Bria and Kelly start now with holding their teammates accountable so that it can carry over to next season.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris agrees.

“We don’t have a specific vocal leader, the kind of person who will sit there and call someone out,” Fairs said. “That’s been this team’s downfall so far. Coach is right. Holding each other accountable would mean so much more. That is something a few of will need to start doing.

“We respect Coach, we know what he says is right. But apparently, some people aren’t responding to him. So maybe a teammate needs to get into a face and tell them this is how it’s going to be. We will work on that after the break.”

This comment scares me a little.
It's just the growth needed in a young team. Scarey? Nah. Unusual with a young (yes they are young) team? Not at all.

Reaction Score

I cannot recall his doing this anytime recently.

Reaction Score
It's just the growth needed in a young team. Scary? Nah. Unusual with a young (yes they are young) team? Not at all.

Players calling out other players? Bad sign.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Players calling out other players? Bad sign.
In the middle of a game, yes, in practice often necessary and must be directed at the right things. Accountability is what you want.

Reaction Score
In the middle of a game, yes, in practice often
necessary and must be directed at the right things. Accountability is what you want.

This is not in practice or a game. It's in the media. Bad sign.

Reaction Score
Which is so strange because at the beginning of the season Geno basically said she was the leader of the team as a sophomore. None of them seem to have the personality to do that...Tiff is quiet, Kelly leads by example, Bria does a bit but also leads with her play...maybe KML next season will, she seems to be feisty...I don't know, it could be a problem. I wonder who isn't responding to Geno?
I think people are underrating how big a role Dolson's been asked to take on this year. Often times she's the lone post player in the game, and trying to control the paint and boards by yourself - especially against the likes of Stanford and Baylor - is a huge task (no pun intended).

I think Dolson, more than anyone, will benefit from Stewart's arrival...not just because Stewart's a terrific passer from the high post, but her 6'10 wingspan should allow the two to completely control the paint area.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I thnk there is nothing but positive there. They have identified and issue and are going to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom