John A on Geno Redux (in Rio) | The Boneyard

John A on Geno Redux (in Rio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A spoke with Carol Callan (USAB Dir of Women's Basketball) about the possibility of Geno returning to coach Team USA in the 2014 World Championships and the 2016 Olympics in Rio. Carol and USAB are in no hurry to make a decision and Geno probably isn't either.

“You know, that’s like asking a woman who delivers a baby at 4:45 at 4:50 when they are going to have another,” said Callan, now in Puerto Rico with the U18 team at the FIBA World Championships.

“At this point, I no idea what the future is going to bring. Geno and I didn’t discuss it during our time together. We never had that conversation. But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t at least thinking about it.

“We don’t really have any rules [that apply to the process]. There are many great coaches in the country who would be worthy of the opportunity and we’ll proceed when the time is right.

“But [regarding Auriemma] you can never say never. We are open [to the idea of a repeat coach], but remember we’ve never done it before.”

“He understands how appreciative we are of him and his staff,” Callan said. “When we left each other [after the games] he said, ‘Let’s talk in couple of days’ and I’m thinking, ‘How is possible that we wouldn’t?’”

BTW, as John mentions, Carol Callan is in Puerto Rico watching the U18 team. Boy, she is a busy woman.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women...sa-basketball-not-saying-no-or-yes/#more-1835

Reaction Score
That line about asking a woman about her next child 5 minutes after giving birth was pretty funny.

It's good to see such a capable person as Carol Callan running the women's branch of USA Basketball. It makes a huge difference when you have someone in charge who knows what she's doing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That line about asking a woman about her next child 5 minutes after giving birth was pretty funny.

It's good to see such a capable person as Carol Callan running the women's branch of USA Basketball. It makes a huge difference when you have someone in charge who knows what she's doing.

I liked that line too. Callan has been associated with USAB for a many years. She is very capable and highly respected and hasn't deserved the criticism directed at USAB over the team selection.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"However if all things are equal, consider this: The 2016 team could feature Olympic vets like UConn’s Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird and perhaps newcomers like Breanna Stewart, Bria Hartley, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis or even Morgan Tuck."

Send this to the orange folks in Knoxville. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I liked that line too. Callan has been associated with USAB for a many years. She is very capable and highly respected and hasn't deserved the criticism directed at USAB over the team selection.
No she hasn't. Neither has Geno...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"However if all things are equal, consider this: The 2016 team could feature Olympic vets like UConn’s Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird and perhaps newcomers like Breanna Stewart, Bria Hartley, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis or even Morgan Tuck."

But what about Moriah Jefferson? I'm not sure about 2016 for her but definitely for 2020. I think the people who have seen her in all her glory recently and currently on the US National team are realizing what a special PG she is...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A just tweeted from Geno's press conference:

"Geno says he is done as olympic coach"

He said if you ask him today, its someone else's chance to coach

Usa basketball said tuesday that the door was ppen if he wanted to return in 2016

Geno says coaching another olympic might be like eating the second bowl of his favorite ice cream

Reaction Score
John A just tweeted from Geno's press conference:

"Geno says he is done as olympic coach"

He said if you ask him today, its someone else's chance to coach

Usa basketball said tuesday that the door was ppen if he wanted to return in 2016

Geno says coaching another olympic might be like eating the second bowl of his favorite ice cream

Isn't that like saying maybe? He's done, but I often go for a second bowl.....:) Even if it's not my favorite....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno on Angel as tweeted by David Siegel (dishnswish twitter):

Line of day from Geno: @angel_35 is the Forest Gump of WNBA, never know what you're gonna get when you open it, choc fudge or cherry stuff

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think Geno's instincts are right here. Someone else should have an opportunity to coach Team USA. He did a great job in 2010 and 2012, but unless there isn't someone else who is clearly willing and able, he should step aside.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Another John A tweet:

Geno: "Let me tell you, there are a lot of people out there not happy we won gold with six #UConnwomen players on the team."

Really? Hardly noticed that at all.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn't that like saying maybe? He's done, but I often go for a second bowl.....:) Even if it's not my favorite....

Apparently not for Geno:

As to whether he would ever consider returning to USA Basketball, Auriemma compared the experience to eating a bowl of his favorite mint-chocolate chip ice cream.

"The second bowl doesn't taste as good as the first one," he said. "It never has and it never will."

Reaction Score
Geno on Angel as tweeted by David Siegel (dishnswish twitter):

Line of day from Geno: @angel_35 is the Forest Gump of WNBA, never know what you're gonna get when you open it, choc fudge or cherry stuff

If you follow the Dream, you know exactly what he means!

Reaction Score

He said he loves mint chocolate chip ice cream, but the second bowl never tastes as good as the first...London is awfully hard to beat.

Reaction Score

Definitely, non-UCOONers just not needed.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Personally, I think Geno's made the right call. Sort of, 'been there, done that'. Nothing but downside if he was to re-up and, yes, it would detract from his Uconn mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom