John A. is not a happy camper | The Boneyard

John A. is not a happy camper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Also a little chilly in California - only in the 60s and 70s this weekend. Hope John can stand it.

Reaction Score
John would not have liked living where I was in South Dakota in December 1983. Here are some stats:

Highest Temperature: 23 degrees above zero- Cold, but we have temps like that here in Connecticut. What's the big deal, right?

Lowest Temperature: -27. Brr that is cold...good thing it was the extreme. But hold on...

The average LOW temperature for the month: -6.4

and finally:

The average HIGH temperature for the month: 7.8 degrees. At least it was in positive temperatures!

There was a 10 day span when the temperature never went above 0. ZERO! 10 DAYS of below zero temperatures.

You don't even want to know the windchill index for those -27 nights. Okay, maybe you do. Try around -80

If your car wasn't plugged in to an engine block heater, you weren't going anywhere. Back in those days, there was no fuel injection. You had to give the engine a little gas when starting it. Only my car kept having the gas pedal freeze. If I pressed it down to start the engine, it stayed there with a very cold engine revving and racing. There was many a morning I was out with a hair dryer and extension cord warming up the gas pedal just so I could start the car to go to work, plug the car in when I got to work, repeat the hair dryer process to start the car so I could go home.

We lived in South Dakota for about 5 years. It takes a special kind of person to live out there - which is why we left!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sunny and 82 in Waikiki. I'm sending warm thoughts to all my BY friends.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
-16 here this morning in sunny Manhattan, MT. Yeah, but it was a dry -16! Wushies. Just 40 or so miles east of the home town of the man who put 3 bullets in Oh Sammie Ben Laden. Suck it up campers. Til wind power doesn't knock eagles out of the sky and solar doesn't crisp them on the wing and lava flows only into your fireplace MilfordHusky and global warming don't do the trick for all of us ... Oh never mind as a tremendous Gilda Rader would say. May we all be warmed by the fire that burns in the hearts our women Huskies as they pursue their 10th Nat'l Championship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
-16 here this morning in sunny Manhattan, MT. Yeah, but it was a dry -16! Wushies. Just 40 or so miles east of the home town of the man who put 3 bullets in Oh Sammie Ben Laden. Suck it up campers. Til wind power doesn't knock eagles out of the sky and solar doesn't crisp them on the wing and lava flows only into your fireplace MilfordHusky and global warming don't do the trick for all of us ... Oh never mind as a tremendous Gilda Rader would say. May we all be warmed by the fire that burns in the hearts our women Huskies as they pursue their 10th Nat'l Championship.
I'm happy where I am. You're happy where you are. Life is good! :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm happy where I am. You're happy where you are. Life is good! :)

Yeah, but I'd like a pig roast in your back yard next late March/ early April!

PS. I could bring a haunch of Elk.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'm just visiting Waikiki, but I try to get here often. I'm flying home to Alexandria, VA on Saturday.

Pig and Elk sound good, along with a cold Longboard beer.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Here in Long Valley, NJ we seem to be holding steady at 75 degrees...………..............................................................................................................................................…………. West Longitude

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It's a cool 85 right now in Puerto Rico; according to our hosts it just started to cool off last week. Humid and a bit uncomfortable. But perhaps better than the zero degrees currently back home in Wisconsin.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Here in Long Valley, NJ we seem to be holding steady at 75 degrees...………...........................…………. West Longitude
Ah, I was 20 years up the road from you at CCM. Now in the sunshine state. Our high tomorrow is to be 71.

Reaction Score
John would not have liked living where I was in South Dakota in December 1983. Here are some stats:

Highest Temperature: 23 degrees above zero- Cold, but we have temps like that here in Connecticut. What's the big deal, right?

Lowest Temperature: -27. Brr that is cold...good thing it was the extreme. But hold on...

The average LOW temperature for the month: -6.4

and finally:

The average HIGH temperature for the month: 7.8 degrees. At least it was in positive temperatures!

There was a 10 day span when the temperature never went above 0. ZERO! 10 DAYS of below zero temperatures.

You don't even want to know the windchill index for those -27 nights. Okay, maybe you do. Try around -80

If your car wasn't plugged in to an engine block heater, you weren't going anywhere. Back in those days, there was no fuel injection. You had to give the engine a little gas when starting it. Only my car kept having the gas pedal freeze. If I pressed it down to start the engine, it stayed there with a very cold engine revving and racing. There was many a morning I was out with a hair dryer and extension cord warming up the gas pedal just so I could start the car to go to work, plug the car in when I got to work, repeat the hair dryer process to start the car so I could go home.

We lived in South Dakota for about 5 years. It takes a special kind of person to live out there - which is why we left!

We lived in North Dakota and was through everything you are talking about, colder than Anchorage AK and the wind was always strong. One thing I remember that you didn't mention was the tires. It would be so cold that the part of the tire touching the ground overnight would remain flat until you drove for a half mile or so, the car would bounce up and down like a carnival ride.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Supposed to get a little snow here, just over the border (MA). :mad: But it'll get up to 40+ so it'll all be gone real quick. :D

Reaction Score
Heading out to Cali tomorrow morning. As long as my plane leaves on time, I will be a happy camper. Stopping in Denver to change planes...supposed to be in the 30's there tomorrow. Not that I will leave the airport.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:

!!!!!!!!!!!

You cad !!!!!!

How are the nightly luaus..?

:)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

homer.jpg

BBQ Elk..... Eastern NC style

Could you possibly make a a left turn in Albuquerque and bring some to NC ? We have plenty of Elk in the mountains... but i think they are federally protected and not eligible to be roasted

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
View attachment 7527

BBQ Elk..... Eastern NC style

Could you possibly make a a left turn in Albuquerque and bring some to NC ? We have plenty of Elk in the mountains... but i think they are federally protected and not eligible to be roasted

You get the Rub or mop ready and I'll zero the 308 and we'll make a date! :)

Reaction Score
Here in Tempe it was 82 or so today, and will drop down to maybe 59 tonight.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
!!!!!!!!!!!

You cad !!!!!!

How are the nightly luaus..?

:)
I'm trying to watch what I eat. But the Mai Tais and Lava Flows are good.

Surf was up on the North Shore, and eye candy was up on Waikiki. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom