John A.: Huskies To Play Oregon And Paradise Jam | The Boneyard

John A.: Huskies To Play Oregon And Paradise Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Oregon, eh??? Hmmm...someone special playing ball out there???

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Oregon, eh??? Hmmm...someone special playing ball out there???

Pshaw. Not like we'll have any kind of talent next year anyway.....I can't imagine anyone bothering to come to see us in 2012. I mean, really--who'd want to join THAT motley crew?

:D

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Only benefits recruitment of a certain player, if the series is continued beyond 2013. I'm sure other schools would gladly offer to play Oregon as well.

It is a great trip Palo Alto and then Oregon if the players get any time off during the trip. :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Only benefits recruitment of a certain player, if the series is continued beyond 2013. I'm sure other schools would gladly offer to play Oregon as well.

It is a great trip Palo Alto and then Oregon if the players get any time off during the trip. :)
You mean having Geno and the team out there THIS year prior to her commiting anywhere has no benefit?

You're kidding, right?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Godfather is bringing the Huskies to an arena near you--and your friends and family.

Driving time from Springfield, home of Mercedes Russell, to Eugene, home of the Oregon Ducks, is approximately 5 minutes.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The trip is in December and the player will probably sign in November. Thus my statement no recruiting advantage.

The only possible advantage is UConn showing a willingness to play a game in Oregon, which I'm sure many other schools will as well if it would influence the player.

You mean having Geno and the team out there THIS year prior to her commiting anywhere has no benefit?

You're kidding, right?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The trip is in December and the player will probably sign in November. Thus my statement no recruiting advantage.

The only possible advantage is UConn showing a willingness to play a game in Oregon, which I'm sure many other schools will as well if it would influence the player.
There is the willingness to play. And then there is the ability to get it scheduled. Geno has shown both.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Downplay it if you must, it's certainly helps.

Reaction Score
I think people may be missing the biggest reason for a series with Oregon, a certain four letter word that wields considerable power in Storrs. NIKE I would guess that is easily a bigger factor than anything to do with recruiting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
can't hurt. i have no idea what's going on in Mercedes' inner circle, but we did come late to the party. On the other hand, we are UCONN, and not to sound arrogant, if Geno/CD calls, the kid will most likely at least listen. they may politely tell us no, but they will at least listen!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think people may be missing the biggest reason for a series with Oregon, a certain four letter word that wields considerable power in Storrs. NIKE I would guess that is easily a bigger factor than anything to do with recruiting.
Nike and money are certainly relevant. But why not 5 years ago when we were not recruiting anyone from Oregon instead of now when we are?

Is Paul Westhead still coaching there? He's another of the Philly guys.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Nike is based in Beaverton, a Portland suburb. About 2 hours north of Eugene. If Nike were the reason for playing in Oregon, I would think Nike might figure out a way for UConn to play in Portland, although I don't know if there is any D1 wcbb in Portland.

Reaction Score
Nike and money are certainly relevant. But why not 5 years ago when we were not recruiting anyone from Oregon instead of now when we are?

Is Paul Westhead still coaching there? He's another of the Philly guys.
With the help of Nike Oregon has recently put a bunch of money into basketball, upgrading facilities as well as spending money on the likes of Paul Westhead who is still there. And UConn also wasn't making a trip to Palo Alto 5 years ago.

Reaction Score
Nike is based in Beaverton, a Portland suburb. About 2 hours north of Eugene. If Nike were the reason for playing in Oregon, I would think Nike might figure out a way for UConn to play in Portland, although I don't know if there is any D1 wcbb in Portland.
But Oregon is the chosen school that Nike donates money to. As evidenced by the 200 million dollar Matthew Knight Arena that opened for basketball at the beginning of this year. That Phil Knight gives his money primarily to Oregon is a much bigger factor than proximity to Nike headquarters. Bring UConn to Eugene is doing something positive for the Oregon women's basketball program. And you can bet there will still be time for Nike to take UConn, their signature women's basketball program, on a tour around the headquarters.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
But Oregon is the chosen school that Nike donates money to. As evidenced by the 200 million dollar Matthew Knight Arena that opened for basketball at the beginning of this year. That Phil Knight gives his money primarily to Oregon is a much bigger factor than proximity to Nike headquarters. Bring UConn to Eugene is doing something positive for the Oregon women's basketball program. And you can bet there will still be time for Nike to take UConn, their signature women's basketball program, on a tour around the headquarters.
hmmm. Did not know that, so thanks. Maybe Geno can work some magic and get Phil to adopt UConn as his east coast school. How about the ____ Knight practice facility.

Reaction Score
But Oregon is the chosen school that Nike donates money to. As evidenced by the 200 million dollar Matthew Knight Arena that opened for basketball at the beginning of this year. That Phil Knight gives his money primarily to Oregon is a much bigger factor than proximity to Nike headquarters. Bring UConn to Eugene is doing something positive for

The court of the Knight Arena is the most hideous thing at any level of basketball. Burning it down would be a good start.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The court of the Knight Arena is the most hideous thing at any level of basketball. Burning it down would be a good start.
I agree. It does look very silly on TV. But evidently it's exactly what Phil wanted, and money talks.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
One of the assistants, Keila Whittington, at Oregon is a great lady. I got to know her quite a bit during my then girlfriend at the time's recruitment and first few years playing at IU. THis sounds like a great vacation next year :0)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Progress-at-OSU-Matthew-Knight-Arena.jpeg

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wondering if adding UConn to Oregon's schedule won't help convince Mercedes she can stay home. Oregon could be demonstrating the willingness to finally put the resources to the Women's basketball program in an effort to keep her home. Add a couple of other high profile teams to their schedule would go along way. Add Mercedes and a few other recruits who knows where Oregon will be by her Junior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom