John A.: Geno on Gabby Williams | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno on Gabby Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
And that opened the door for the re-emergence of freshman Gabby Williams (11 points). Along with Ekmark and freshman Sadie Edwards, Williams did not play at Stanford. And after that game was over, Auriemma said she told her parents she did not deserve to play in it because she was not ready to do so.

“She’s a great kid, but she’s still really learning about basketball,” Auriemma said. “But by the time she’s a senior, you will be able to throw her the ball and know you are getting a basket. She’s going to be great.

LINK

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
She sure showed signs of it today! 11 points, 5 boards and four steals in limited minutes. For a kid just learning basketball, not bad at all. Now if she can just avoid bumping her head on he gym ceiling......

Reaction Score
She was very impressive in today's game, especially in the second half. She can post up virtually anyone her size.
If they guard her with a bigger defender, she will have the quickness advantage. As long as she can hit mid-range shots consistently, she will be very tough to guard.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williams is a raw playmaker. She needs time on the floor, but you can see her stuffing the stat sheet in the future. The fact that she is so assertive and effective in the paint already is incredible considering she was mostly a driver and 1-on-1 perimeter player in highschool.

Reaction Score
She was very impressive in today's game, especially in the second half. She can post up virtually anyone her size.
If they guard her with a bigger defender, she will have the quickness advantage. As long as she can hit mid-range shots consistently, she will be very tough to guard.
That's the real trick. If she develops even a Kelly Faris level shot, she's an AA.

Reaction Score
I don't recall the background on her, but sounds like she came to basketball late? What's the scoop? Why does Geno say "she’s still really learning about basketball?"

Or is it because she missed time from injuries?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I don't recall the background on her, but sounds like she came to basketball late? What's the scoop? Why does Geno say "she’s still really learning about basketball?"

I think it's because of the knee injuries plus early on she focused on track.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It could be that she was such a prolific high jumper nationally, she hasn't focused on basketball yr round like many of her contemporaries. Just a thought. In addition to back to back injuries.

Reaction Score
Well, evidently she learned and helluva lot in the last four or five days, eh? Never got off the pine at Stanford , and we certainly needed a boost out there. All things considered, I'll take her right now over Stokes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think she's raw and rusty.

Missing much of 2 seasons contributed to rust but also limited her development. She would have improved over that time span.

I think another reason that she is raw is that she had better athletic ability than all her opponents in high school, so she got by--very well--on her athleticism. At this level, that's not going to happen all the time. And Geno won't allow it.

Reaction Score
I don't recall the background on her, but sounds like she came to basketball late? What's mply the scoop? Why does Geno say "she’s still really learning about basketball?"

A lot of kids these days succeed in High School by simply being a better athlete than anyone else on the court. Very few High School coaches really teach all the facets of the game today. IMHO AAU teams are even worse in that they focus on showcasing players as individuals instead of teaching the team game.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Gabby will allow Geno to have someone very unique who can creat some offensive match up problems on offense & may become a great defender also. She's a natural 2-3 guard playing a lot of 4 now. Impressive post up strength and finishing down low. She will give us a lot of versatility moving forward. Her legs looked pretty strong in practice the other day posting up against the guys.

Reaction Score
Have you noticed her running which reflects her track experience. She runs, on her toes, while most of the all other players run 'flat footed'. This gives her the advantage of speed & elevation. She has incorporated her high jumping abilities into basketball. She played guard in H.S. but at UConn ; coach has put her playing in the post position.If she stays healthy, beware !

Reaction Score

My guess is that along with the injuries and the focus on track & field that she is such a transcendent athlete that she bypassed a lot of the techniques the lesser naturally gifted rely upon. If she goes to school for three more years at the UCONN graduate school of basketball, she'll have both and that sounds pretty exciting!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, evidently she learned and helluva lot in the last four or five days, eh? Never got off the pine at Stanford , and we certainly needed a boost out there. All things considered, I'll take her right now over Stokes.
Oh Geez.

facepalm1.jpg

Reaction Score

I thought I was the only one thinking that. She is so quick and athletic, and her defensive intensity was fun to watch. She is certainly aggressive to the basket, with some rather impressive moves. Seems to me that she already knows quite a bit of basketball. Because she is such an athlete, she's able to do things that I just don't think are easy to teach. She never stopped moving down low in trying to get position for a pass. And she didn't play down low in high school? Holy cow!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
He only does it to get attention and sympathy, Doc. Pay no attention.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Regardless of who starts, who finishes, who's today's savior, who's today's doghouse, and who's confidence has been irredeemably shattered today;

I wish that we could avoid anointing or condemning a player based on what little evidence we have at this point in the season. I know that's what we fans do - we interpret, we extrapolate, we exaggerate - but, even there, we should be a little moderation. The notion that a freshman, admittedly with promising potential, should replace a team's second-leading rebounder (best rebounder, per minute), the leading shot-blocker (60% of the team's blocks so far in this small sample) is foolishly premature.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, no, no, no.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Having been at the game and having then watched the replay, I do not believe that Gabby will be successful scoring in the post against the post defenders that a Top 10 team will have. Nor do I think she
can defend or block shots against someone like Williams or Coates. She may outrun those players and get points that way, or she may be able to make acrobatic layups over those players from several feet away, but she doesn't have the size or strength to match up at close range in the paint.

I think people underestimate the critical defensive contributions that Kiah makes. She can neutralize those types of players.

I also think Kiah's offensive output will improve as she calms down and gets comfortable in her new offensive role. I do think she belongs mostly in the low post, not up high making passes.

Reaction Score
Regardless of who starts, who finishes, who's today's savior, who's today's doghouse, and who's confidence has been irredeemably shattered today;

I wish that we could avoid anointing or condemning a player based on what little evidence we have at this point in the season. I know that's what we fans do - we interpret, we extrapolate, we exaggerate - but, even there, we should be a little moderation. The notion that a freshman, admittedly with promising potential, should replace a team's second-leading rebounder (best rebounder, per minute), the leading shot-blocker (60% of the team's blocks so far in this small sample) is foolishly premature.

Thanks for being the voice of reason here. We all have a tendency to overreact to one game or one performance. We quickly go from crazy score predictions to preparing for Hara-kiri. Kiah is an integral part of this team and will be key to our success this season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYER: geez is right. You KNOW I can't stand it when you cry. Alright, I will THINK about meeting you again, but only in public. So buck up. xo
You don't need me, you got boontonbomber now.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Wishing will make it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul