John A.: Gary Blair's perspective on UConn wbb | The Boneyard

John A.: Gary Blair's perspective on UConn wbb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why can't bb go to a different conference and football stay in aac? Women's field hockey at Uconn plays in a different conference.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Very interesting comments by Blair:

We [UConn and Texas A&M] will play each other [in the regular season]. There’s many teams who won’t, but we will.

“The respect Geno has in the game is why people will play him. It’s good for the game. I’d love to play him every year, in the Elite Eight or Final Four, that is. But I wouldn’t mind starting another series with him and I am sure you will eventually see Tennessee back with them, too.

“And what we need to do for parity is play games like this in January and February for television’s sake. I know its going to hurt us more than it will hurt him. All Geno needs to do is play three games in a week to have one great one to make his team better. But that’s no sweat off his back. He will figure it out, don’t worry.”

Gary is right. There will be teams that refuse to schedule UConn knowing how dependent UConn will be on good OOC games. There are many fans of other teams who are hoping that happens. I'm glad Gary and several other coaches feel differently.

He's also right about scheduling games between elite teams in January and February, which is something UConn has always been willing to do. I don't expect that to happen, though. Most teams don't like to play out of conference once the conference schedule begins, though that thinking is short-sighted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think there are only a few coaches that would duck Uconn out of an idea of freezing them out of competitive games. And the exposure and revenue involved with scheduling Uconn for a nationally televised game is a strong inducement for ADs even if the coaches are less than enthusiastic.
One concern I do have with the current AAC regular season schedule is that it is so big, cutting into the number of OOC contests available under the rules. Big east was 16 games, AAC was 18 this year, not sure what it will be next year and in future years.
And Jan/Feb games - they fall in the middle of conference seasons and while Uconn really has become nonchalant about regular season titles very few other teams are - they are very important because they are competitive and teams keep count. And the concern is a tough big hype OOC game can take focus away from the conference race - case in point, look at Baylor who had a major let-down and their only bad loss immediately after the Uconn game. And the scheduling just becomes harder to arrange as the conference has already blocked in their season games that the school really can't change.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think there are only a few coaches that would duck Uconn out of an idea of freezing them out of competitive games. And the exposure and revenue involved with scheduling Uconn for a nationally televised game is a strong inducement for ADs even if the coaches are less than enthusiastic.
One concern I do have with the current AAC regular season schedule is that it is so big, cutting into the number of OOC contests available under the rules. Big east was 16 games, AAC was 18 this year, not sure what it will be next year and in future years.
And Jan/Feb games - they fall in the middle of conference seasons and while Uconn really has become nonchalant about regular season titles very few other teams are - they are very important because they are competitive and teams keep count. And the concern is a tough big hype OOC game can take focus away from the conference race - case in point, look at Baylor who had a major let-down and their only bad loss immediately after the Uconn game. And the scheduling just becomes harder to arrange as the conference has already blocked in their season games that the school really can't change.

Although the AAC schedule included 18 games, UConn actually played 16 OOC conference games this season, 2 more than it has typically played in the past.

In both the '09-10 and '10-11 seasons, UConn played 3 OOC games in Jan/Feb. The BE accomodated this by scheduling a couple of conference games in December. As is the case every year, ESPN will want to broadcast UConn games in Jan and Feb but would prefer a game against an elite opponent. Last year UConn only played one OOC game during conference play (Baylor), but ESPN had the 2 Louisville game to broadcast. We'll see if a team or two is willing to step up and step out of their conference next season.

BTW, word is that the Duke and UConn men's programs are working on a game for next season, possibly in NY. I hope the Duke women agree to schedule UConn, though I'm sensing McCallie may want a break.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Although the AAC schedule included 18 games, UConn actually played 16 OOC conference games this season, 2 more than it has typically played in the past.

In both the '09-10 and '10-11 seasons, UConn played 3 OOC games in Jan/Feb. The BE accomodated this by scheduling a couple of conference games in December. As is the case every year, ESPN will want to broadcast UConn games in Jan and Feb but would prefer a game against an elite opponent. Last year UConn only played one OOC game during conference play (Baylor), but ESPN had the 2 Louisville game to broadcast. We'll see if a team or two is willing to step up and step out of their conference next season.

BTW, word is that the Duke and UConn men's programs are working on a game for next season, possibly in NY. I hope the Duke women agree to schedule UConn, though I'm sensing McCallie may want a break.
They had a four game in season tournament this year - the norm is two/three games and unfortunately those are usually pretty poor teams. At least this year it did include OSU.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Would be great time to add A & M. Also great time to add So Car and/ or No Car again! All teams on the rise!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Would be great time to add A & M. Also great time to add So Car and/ or No Car again! All teams on the rise!
SC is already added for next year

Reaction Score
I don't think playing UConn is seen by most coaches as a negative. It's a huge issue with some fans. I saw recently a fan of one of the USA's premier basketball schools, that gets as many AAs and McBurger gitls as UConn does, calling on prospects to "do the right thing" and boycott UConn. Meanwhile, that program that annually amasses just as much talent, or more, thhan the Huskies do, hasn't seen the inside of a F4 in the best part of a decade, and has NEVER won an NC despite their reputed "dynasty". So what's the "right thing" for these kids then, to keep packing the roster of a program that will never allow them to grow and experience on the national stage, the way this fan's teams do every year? Exactly who is that "the right thing for"? To deny themselves the opportunity to participate at the highest possible level their skills will allow? That's "the right thing?" How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom