• 4yrs $11.5mm

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • 5yrs $15mm

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • 6yrs $19.5mm

Votes: 19 17.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The salary for Moorhead should be in the range for us.

The real issue is the budget to hire the staff that you need. He’s not coming here if he can’t get that.

Secondly, he’s a hot commodity. He will be able to do a bunch better than us considering where he is now and how it is so high profile,

Now that I think about it. This isn’t going to happen. I’m not going to get my hopes up.

Reaction Score
The salary for Moorhead should be in the range for us.

The real issue is the budget to hire the staff that you need. He’s not coming here if he can’t get that.

Secondly, he’s a hot commodity. He will be able to do a bunch better than us considering where he is now and how it is so high profile,

Now that I think about it. This isn’t going to happen. I’m not going to get my hopes up.
Yup… His assistant coach salary pool @ Mississippi State was $3.6m in his last year.

Reaction Score
I agree and I considered including it but it was just too much work to compare a bunch of assistant pools

Reaction Score
It's just crazy to think that Venebles makes 2.5m as a DC. Why would he ever go anywhere not paying that much. It's no wonder Eliot didn't take Tennessee when you can be rolling in it as a coordinator and not have to deal with the head aches of a HC.

Reaction Score
it would take a massive overpay to get him to listen and even that might not be enough. He'll have other major offers and they'll be willing and able to pay just as much if not more than UConn for both him and the staff in the event it became a bidding war

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to compete with P5 schools for Moorehead than the term is going to have to be longer than 4 years given the dumpster fire the new coach is inheriting.

Kansas gave Leipold a 6 yr deal as did Tennessee with Pruitt. Rutgers gave Schiano 8 years. These are examples of P5 programs that were/are a mess and the schools decided to step up w a long term commitment.

If UConn is going to step into the competition for Moorehead or someone of his ilk there is no cheaping out on the hire.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We (actually DB) will need to convince him that there will be sufficient consistent sustained support from the top to be able to succeed here. Everything else can be worked out. The support may be too great of an ask.

Reaction Score
He’s not coming here, he will have his pick of several quality P5 schools. We need to snuff out this dream..,.with all due respect
Everyone has a price. What is his price to come to UConn?

Reaction Score
6 years 60 million?

his goal is to beat Saban or Dabo Sweeney someday in a championship game and make good money while doing it. If Oregon makes a deep run and their offense looks good he’s gone

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone has a price. What is his price to come to UConn?
Sure everyone has a price but he's not giving UConn any hometown discount out of sentimentality.

He will likely have P5 offers that will start at 5/6 years & $3+MM/year. Rutgers, which we all know has been hemorrhaging money for years, gave Schiano 8yrs/$32MM plus a huge pool for assistants.

Those are the types of offers that UConn will likely be competing with for a guy like Moorehead.

I'm sorry but I don't see any way UConn is willing to put a package like that together

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I don't see any way UConn is willing to put a package like that together
This is half of my point.

There are going to be a bunch of people who complain after we don't get him. So I want to see what people think it's going to take so they can't complain about it later

Reaction Score
I was thinking it would take $3,000,000 per year for 5 years and an assistant pool of $2,500,000-$3,000,000. Of course, that was in a world where he didn't have other great options. Things may break in such a way that he has a few very strong options.

I'd love to hire someone with strong ties to the area that would like the job for what it is and where it is. It seems Moorhead and a couple of FCS coaches will fit that description, presumably we will get an FCS guy unless Dave has something up his sleeve, which kind of seems to be his MO.

Reaction Score
“Hey Joe, right now we are thinking 3 years at $15M base guaranteed, and $3.5M for staff to start and increasingly $500K per year. But we’ll work with you as required”.

Reaction Score
He’s not coming here, he will have his pick of several quality P5 schools. We need to snuff out this dream..,.with all due respect
I'm not so sure. I think schools will be cautious about hiring him as a HC because of his short tenure at Mississippi St. even though it was probably a bad fit from the start. I do think he will get big offers that would double his pay to be OC for some high paying P5 schools. If he wants to be a top P5 coach in the future, he may need to accept a G5 HC job in order to prove himself again.

Reaction Score
We should be offering him no less than 4 million per year. 4.5 million per year over the next 5 years. A huge assistant pool akin to what Schiano got at Rutgers. But the BoT will no approve anything more than probably 2 million a year per coach and like 500k for assistants.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
6 years 60 million?

his goal is to beat Saban or Dabo Sweeney someday in a championship game and make good money while doing it. If Oregon makes a deep run and their offense looks good he’s gone
I’d be shocked if we dumped that kinda of cheddar into a dead program

Reaction Score
This is really crazy talk. Why would any P5 coach; head, assistant or coordinator take the UCONN job? The future of the program is uncertain. We lost to Holy Cross, and last week Holy Cross lost to MERRIMACK, How much lower of a program can UCONN be? Unless there is some secret plan to revitalize this program, just give Lou Spanos the job and save the cost of a new search.

Reaction Score
We should be offering him no less than 4 million per year. 4.5 million per year over the next 5 years. A huge assistant pool akin to what Schiano got at Rutgers. But the BoT will no approve anything more than probably 2 million a year per coach and like 500k for assistants.
I’m leaning towards Kevin Kelley now. We don’t have to break the bank and based on the salary we’ll give him, he can get get a nice salary pool for some good coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom