OT: Job Hunting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Job Hunting

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I can’t help at all.

But I’m curious - it’s probably hidden in the past three pages, but what kind of position are you ultimately seeking when you’re settled?

Number of opportunities. I’d either be an associate priest at a parish, school chaplain (either independent high school or university level, or prison), could teach religion at independent schools, do non profit work, or work at a retreat center. Depending on the place, some of those opportunities are more robust than others. I’d actually prefer to stay out of the parish if I can help it, but we’ll see. Parishes tend to be a ton of administrative work, as they’re really just small businesses that are severely understaffed. Additionally, the demographic obviously skews pretty old and that can be a challenge for a 26 year old cleric in terms of relating to folks. I think I’d most prefer either boots on the ground work in the non profit sector with homelessness where I have a good deal of prior experience, prison work, or retreat ministry.

It’s kind of important as a young ordained person to diversify experience. Older priests have made careers in parishes, but with shrinking attendance and mounting costs of maintaining large, old buildings, full time parish work becomes less viable, especially in the northeast. I’d like to be able to gather a set of skills that keeps me from being sort of obsolete if traditional parish ministry becomes a thing of the past, which I predict that it will over the next 20 years in 90% of cases.

Obviously a strange career path that tends to elicit a lot of questions in people which I have no problem explaining.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Number of opportunities. I’d either be an associate priest at a parish, school chaplain (either independent high school or university level, or prison), could teach religion at independent schools, do non profit work, or work at a retreat center. Depending on the place, some of those opportunities are more robust than others. I’d actually prefer to stay out of the parish if I can help it, but we’ll see. Parishes tend to be a ton of administrative work, as they’re really just small businesses that are severely understaffed. Additionally, the demographic obviously skews pretty old and that can be a challenge for a 26 year old cleric in terms of relating to folks. I think I’d most prefer either boots on the ground work in the non profit sector with homelessness where I have a good deal of prior experience, prison work, or retreat ministry.

It’s kind of important as a young ordained person to diversify experience. Older priests have made careers in parishes, but with shrinking attendance and mounting costs of maintaining large, old buildings, full time parish work becomes less viable, especially in the northeast. I’d like to be able to gather a set of skills that keeps me from being sort of obsolete if traditional parish ministry becomes a thing of the past, which I predict that it will over the next 20 years in 90% of cases.

Obviously a strange career path that tends to elicit a lot of questions in people which I have no problem explaining.
Ouch! A challenge to relate to pretty old people but comfortable with prisoners and the homeless. How about really old folks? :)

I think your path is commendable. Would love to know what inspired you to follow this path.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Ouch! A challenge to relate to pretty old people but comfortable with prisoners and the homeless. How about really old folks? :)

I think your path is commendable. Would love to know what inspired you to follow this path.

lol it’s just a challenge. In a lot of churches, I’m the youngest person by 30 years. And in regards to what led to my career choice, feel free to PM and I’ll gladly expand

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yeah, and some personalities are denser than average. Heads up Asheville, thus guy’s sermons could be non-sleep inducing.

At least 90% of sermons I’ve ever heard are a drag. I’m not dumb enough to think most of mine will live in that other 10%. Hopefully they do from time to time. My own opinion is that there’s a level of arrogance in assuming that people would want to listen to me, and me alone, speak at length once every week. No one is that interesting. Gotta be humble about it, keep em short, try to say something creative.

Reaction Score
lol it’s just a challenge. In a lot of churches, I’m the youngest person by 30 years. And in regards to what led to my career choice, feel free to PM and I’ll gladly expand

If you need practice communicating with the elderly you should go spend some time on the women’s basketball board. Good luck with the job hunt!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
1. Get a job making pizza at a reputable CT apizza joint.

2. Open a Neapolitan pizza place as a side business when you get to North Carolina:

APriestA Pie

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
1. Get a job making pizza at a reputable CT apizza joint.

2. Open a Neapolitan pizza place as a side business when you get to North Carolina:

APriestA Pie
This has some legs. Pizza in NC generally sucks - AW and I can help you make better pizza than 99% of the state in no time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This has some legs. Pizza in NC generally sucks - AW and I can help you make better pizza than 99% of the state in no time.
There is no question in my mind that it would work. I love the concept and the priest thing provides a lot of creative marketing angles.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My wife’s friend’s husband is an OB resident in Asheville. We visited down there for their wedding last year. Very lovely.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
At least 90% of sermons I’ve ever heard are a drag. I’m not dumb enough to think most of mine will live in that other 10%. Hopefully they do from time to time. My own opinion is that there’s a level of arrogance in assuming that people would want to listen to me, and me alone, speak at length once every week. No one is that interesting. Gotta be humble about it, keep em short, try to say something creative.
I’m happy when I read 0.1% in this forum that’s interesting. But I still plow through most of the stuff.

You know you’re in trouble when the most interesting thread is about pizza joints in a state you don’t live in, or you’re making bets with yourself about who will chime in about KO and you’re never disappointed or a chief statement and the inevitable reaction that it elicits and by whom.

Love the campus thread but was hoping that several of the posters were younger than I learned.

Upshot is people are pretty predictable. People are fearful and needy. People need to be validated. People need reassurance. People want to feel safe. People don’t want the truth if said truth does not agree with their construct of how the universe runs or should run. I know you know this and much more than I could offer.

There are still people who can help people work in large groups. Others are more effective one on one or working with smaller groups. Supporting people without losing your integrity, patience, empathy and energy takes a special person. I wish you luck on this journey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom