OT: Job Hunting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Job Hunting

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Why not? Any at will employer really has no business asking about your plans. Unless you are signing a long-term contract, you are free to take the job without reservation. The only caveat I would offer is that if you know your are going to be part of a long-term effort that would be difficult for your employer to replace you without causing a major disruption, that ethically you wouldn't be acting in good faith taking on the assignment. I would note that this is a very high bar, that most examples you might give wouldn't meet it.

Your #1 responsibility is you and I say that as an employer. I have a promising young employee leaving for geographic reasons. At first, I wanted to make sure he understood the cost/benefits of his decision careerwise. Once I knew he did, I was fine with him leaving. He, like most, is replaceable. If he doesn't leave poorly, there are no hard feelings.

Churches work differently. I’d sign a three year or four year contract, and if I left before that was up to go to another state, I’d have to rely on my bishop to grant me a release to be transferred to another diocese. If I accepted a gig while I knew I was leaving soon and then left a parish scrambling, he could give me a hard time with a release. On top of it, I wouldn’t have a recommendation to lean on for my next search. Not being able to list my last job as a reference would not be a great look. The church world definitely operates differently than corporate. Generally that’s a good thing, but in this case isn’t ideal

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
i just left my job at Thimble Island so they have an opening, but they're a trash company.

Brewing? Too far from my place anyhow, and since they aren’t krinklecut approved I wouldn’t apply anyway!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but having a philosophy degree puts you at a disadvantage against people with “lesser” degrees on the open market because of over saturation. If you’re willing to move south or west opportunities are endless. I work for a Fortune 500 company in a position where I don’t hire but have a lot of influence over who gets hired. DM me if you’re open to move to North Carolina, Texas or Arizona.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meh my friend got a dual English/philosophy degree and he makes bank writing proposals in healthcare admin
My high school friend was a philosophy / religion double major in the honors program at UConn (between years at Vanderbilt and Columbia) - he started as a script reader in Hollywood and moved up to co-president of Lion's Gate.

We rarely speak these days - so don't ask.

Reaction Score
Churches work differently. I’d sign a three year or four year contract, and if I left before that was up to go to another state, I’d have to rely on my bishop to grant me a release to be transferred to another diocese. If I accepted a gig while I knew I was leaving soon and then left a parish scrambling, he could give me a hard time with a release. On top of it, I wouldn’t have a recommendation to lean on for my next search. Not being able to list my last job as a reference would not be a great look. The church world definitely operates differently than corporate. Generally that’s a good thing, but in this case isn’t ideal

It seems to be a much smoother process when they switch a priest to another diocese for fondling a kid.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have! I really enjoy it there, and strangely it’s a good job market for me there. The largest episcopal retreat center in the US is just south of Asheville, and a large episcopal boarding school is in town. The triangle is obviously another good market with the universities. Where are you living?
I currently live in Asheville. Read this thread yesterday and coincidentally ran into a fellow resident of our condo complex who recently retired from the Episcopal Church.

What residency in the Asheville area is your wife considering?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Gotta get that Ben and Jerry’s to market.

These are the real heroes.

A few teammates and I destroyed a Vermonster for dinner on an overnight cross country trip.

Great refuel after running up a giant mountain at like 8am.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It seems to be a much smoother process when they switch a priest to another diocese for fondling a kid.
giphy.gif

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A few teammates and I destroyed a Vermonster for dinner on an overnight cross country trip.

Great refuel after running up a giant mountain at like 8am.
My family split one of those with another family a few summers ago while we were in Vermont for a long weekend. The four adults had a couple spoonfuls each and the six kids went to town on the rest. Four of the six bowed out down the stretch when it all became a liquid mess and two of them continued to the end, using a straw and tilting the bucket to drink the rest. Those two didn't eat again for at least 24 hours, and barely spoke because they felt so ill. I still get queasy thinking about it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Got it. The charitable thing to do would be for your current diocese to help reach out to others in your target area. You'd think that would be SOP for a church. Unless of course they are total bastards.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
i hope you didnt get your masters in philosophy? You are going to need a Doctorate in Student loan forgiveness

My masters is called a masters of divinity. That’s the degree that people get who go to seminary. Classes were in theology, history, biblical criticism, pastoral counseling, preaching.

In any case, philosophy degrees are very valuable for people who apply them appropriately. Philosophy majors have the second highest average LSAT scores because the purpose of the degree is to encourage critical thinking on foundational concepts that are often taken for granted. I’d say that’s a valuable skill whether we’re talking about legal argumentation, development of policy, or business innovation. I’d personally prefer that someone learn how to think critically and thoroughly before beginning a job then study practical processes that can be learned in any setting. That’s just my two cents.

Reaction Score
My masters is called a masters of divinity. That’s the degree that people get who go to seminary. Classes were in theology, history, biblical criticism, pastoral counseling, preaching.

In any case, philosophy degrees are very valuable for people who apply them appropriately. Philosophy majors have the second highest average LSAT scores because the purpose of the degree is to encourage critical thinking on foundational concepts that are often taken for granted. I’d say that’s a valuable skill whether we’re talking about legal argumentation, development of policy, or business innovation. I’d personally prefer that someone learn how to think critically and thoroughly before beginning a job then study practical processes that can be learned in any setting. That’s just my two cents.

Good for you. Ignore the people who say you should have studied restaurant management or accounting.

Reaction Score
Biblical criticism? Interesting that such a discipline would develop at Yale.

Reaction Score
This guy is another friend from (a different) high school. The stuff he gets excited about is several levels of abstraction deeper than things I'm only vaguely familiar with.

But on a relateable level, he made some waves not too long ago for his claim, based on his analysis of ancient texts, that Jesus was born in a basement- not a stable. (Most biblical scholars don't actually think Jesus was born in a stable )

Reaction Score
Seeking input on transitional revenue enhancement, @uconnphil2016 appears relatively level-headed and reasonably mature; not an irresponsible lout scheming to skirt out of debt obligations which may not even apply.

However, some basic ACCT and even food service MGMT knowledge could eventually be beneficial in his future sizable parish. Somebody needs to out Miss Sue who’s been embezzling church funds for 4 decades. Good luck Phil!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Not many of those types find their way to The Boneyard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I can’t help at all.

But I’m curious - it’s probably hidden in the past three pages, but what kind of position are you ultimately seeking when you’re settled?

Reaction Score
... what kind of position are you ultimately seeking when you’re settled?
Appears Phil aspires to be an Episcopalian Guido Sarducci; that might could wake ‘em up in Asheville

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom