OT: Job Hunting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Job Hunting

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What specialty is your fiance trying to match to?

Family med. she wants to do a lot of obstetrics stuff as well. Perhaps eventually a fellowship year with some surgical OB

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Family med. she wants to do a lot of obstetrics stuff as well. Perhaps eventually a fellowship year with some surgical OB

Ah makes sense, why you all have narrowed down where you want to live.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I’m really looking for a full time job that will pay well. That’s really my highest priority at this point, and I think I can learn to do most things as long as I can get a foot in the door.

I know there are a lot of older folks on here who may have some connections, so thought I’d at least give it a shot
I know a guy who knows a guy

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hey all,

I’m currently employed, but am still looking around for other work prospects. I’ve got student loans to pay off and am trying to save up for when my fiancée begins medical residency next June. As such, we will most likely be moving away in one year, and this has prevented me from getting a full time, long term job in my field. I work in the Episcopal Church, but can’t take a full time job in the church when I may be leaving soon for a number of reasons.

As a result, I’m really looking for a full time job that will pay well. That’s really my highest priority at this point, and I think I can learn to do most things as long as I can get a foot in the door. I graduated from UConn in 2016 with a philosophy degree and in 2019 from Yale with my masters degree. I know there are a lot of older folks on here who may have some connections, so thought I’d at least give it a shot. As of now, I’ve got considerable loan payments and my current job is making it a bit challenging to make ends meet.

What field and where. You didn't mention where that medical residency will be. Or are you looking for something now that allows you to stay with it when you move?

Edit: caught up a bit. Not sure how technical you are or how outgoing/personable etc. (seems like it) but technology sales is something that would fit near the NC Triangle, and transfer well just about anywhere. Commission based, and probably lots of travel. Pharma sales is another option.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think LinkedIn is a good place to start. At least from there you can filter by the area/field/level of experience and usually message someone directly as opposed to sending a resume into the abyss.

C

Chief00

Perhaps you might want to consider a job that you can work remote - then the location issue is less of a factor. Whatever you decide the drag on getting a job, assuming you are transparent, is the reluctance to invest in training someone destine to leave soon and create another turnover situation.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Are you planning on staying in the church related field?
If not, that area is flush with financial institutions and the B2B marketing between them and the small/medium sized business is starting to take off.
As it has been said - staying one place for one year and making a boatload of cash is hard unless it is sales and commission only.
Are you good at meeting new people and gaining trust? Maybe try being a business development officer at a bank that has their main presence in that area but also branch penetration here in CT/NE. BoA, Wells Fargo (formerly Wachovia) East are two that immediately come to mind. Learn the business banking shtick and try to get into marketing/outreach down there. I promise there will be huge development and potential in this niche that most banks simply don't touch right now.
BEST OF LUCK

Reaction Score
As a result, I’m really looking for a full time job that will pay well. That’s really my highest priority at this point, and I think I can learn to do most things as long as I can get a foot in the door
@uconnphil2016
* Short-term revenue enhancement opportunity which you’ll likely punt in several months after relocating?
* Or, more likely to continue longer term with potentially newly developed skills?

* Technology: What can you currently do well &/or learn?

* Transferable skills: Listener? Thinker (dubious)? Good communicator/ lucid speaker? > sales, client service. Other?

* Part-time evening/weekend work: easy to find now if supplementary income is an immediate need, e.g, bartender philosopher/listener, waiter, delivery, etc.

Good luck

- - - -
You may be a stand up guy, but never consider knocking on doors at 8:39 pm like the fast-talking mumbler who purportedly was not trying to sell something last night. Nope, he just knocked, not rang our visible door bell gizmo with camera, just to say hello. No income potential for that joker!

Reaction Score
I would go triangle. I lived in Apex for a few years after graduating. I worked in Bio-tech/Healthcare at an insurance brokerage. Lots of cutting edge hospital systems in the Tri. Lots of people get really sick of Asheville and move away. I used to vacation in a cabin in bat cave.

Reaction Score
Hey all,

I’m currently employed, but am still looking around for other work prospects. I’ve got student loans to pay off and am trying to save up for when my fiancée begins medical residency next June. As such, we will most likely be moving away in one year, and this has prevented me from getting a full time, long term job in my field. I work in the Episcopal Church, but can’t take a full time job in the church when I may be leaving soon for a number of reasons.

As a result, I’m really looking for a full time job that will pay well. That’s really my highest priority at this point, and I think I can learn to do most things as long as I can get a foot in the door. I graduated from UConn in 2016 with a philosophy degree and in 2019 from Yale with my masters degree. I know there are a lot of older folks on here who may have some connections, so thought I’d at least give it a shot. As of now, I’ve got considerable loan payments and my current job is making it a bit challenging to make ends meet.
Looking for Class A truck drivers in central Vermont.

Reaction Score
To go with that, good money, excellent benefits, hard work and you get to work for me! Most importantly, keep the Faith.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What would you call "central"? Rutland? Didn't know we had any Vermonters here.

Reaction Score
A Masters from Yale and you're asking the Boneyard for help with a job. That's awesome.

If you want a job that pays well, get into something commission-based like pharmaceutical sales and bust your hump for the next 5 years.
I was going to say sales.

Reaction Score
Same same nationally; news reports suggest much of the trucker populace is old to going full-on ancient and/or not so keen on increased industry-monitoring

Reaction Score
Same same nationally; news reports suggest much of the trucker populace is old to going full-on ancient and/or not so keen on increased industry-monitoring
Can’t wait for driverless trucks doing the speed limit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
As such, we will most likely be moving away in one year, and this has prevented me from getting a full time, long term job in my field. I work in the Episcopal Church, but can’t take a full time job in the church when I may be leaving soon for a number of reasons.

Why not? Any at will employer really has no business asking about your plans. Unless you are signing a long-term contract, you are free to take the job without reservation. The only caveat I would offer is that if you know your are going to be part of a long-term effort that would be difficult for your employer to replace you without causing a major disruption, that ethically you wouldn't be acting in good faith taking on the assignment. I would note that this is a very high bar, that most examples you might give wouldn't meet it.

Your #1 responsibility is you and I say that as an employer. I have a promising young employee leaving for geographic reasons. At first, I wanted to make sure he understood the cost/benefits of his decision careerwise. Once I knew he did, I was fine with him leaving. He, like most, is replaceable. If he doesn't leave poorly, there are no hard feelings.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can’t wait for driverless trucks doing the speed limit.

Coincidentally, the same day I install front facing rocket launchers on the family vehicles.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
i just left my job at Thimble Island so they have an opening, but they're a trash company.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom