OT: Job Hunting | The Boneyard

OT: Job Hunting

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hey all,

I’m currently employed, but am still looking around for other work prospects. I’ve got student loans to pay off and am trying to save up for when my fiancée begins medical residency next June. As such, we will most likely be moving away in one year, and this has prevented me from getting a full time, long term job in my field. I work in the Episcopal Church, but can’t take a full time job in the church when I may be leaving soon for a number of reasons.

As a result, I’m really looking for a full time job that will pay well. That’s really my highest priority at this point, and I think I can learn to do most things as long as I can get a foot in the door. I graduated from UConn in 2016 with a philosophy degree and in 2019 from Yale with my masters degree. I know there are a lot of older folks on here who may have some connections, so thought I’d at least give it a shot. As of now, I’ve got considerable loan payments and my current job is making it a bit challenging to make ends meet.

Reaction Score
A Masters from Yale and you're asking the Boneyard for help with a job. That's awesome.

If you want a job that pays well, get into something commission-based like pharmaceutical sales and bust your hump for the next 5 years.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A Masters from Yale and you're asking the Boneyard for help with a job. That's awesome.

If you want a job that pays well, get into something commission-based like pharmaceutical sales and bust your hump for the next 5 years.

Or B2B data / technology sales. Big commissions to be had in that field too. Sales in general is what will get you paid the most and give you the most control over your earning potential.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m really looking for a full time job that will pay well. That’s really my highest priority at this point, and I think I can learn to do most things as long as I can get a foot in the door.

Reaction Score
I’d recommend reaching out to a recruiter.

It’s a great deal on your end. You don’t have to pay them and they basically do the networking for you.

I’d also recommend looking into Legal Assistant jobs. It’s hard work and not glamorous but it does pay well, plus you learn a lot of transferable and relevant skills that you can you can turn into something like a Project or Case Management position.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
But seriously, do you know where you’re going to be moving?

Most likely North Carolina. Either chapel hill or Asheville, though we have a few west coast options and denver

Reaction Score
Most likely North Carolina. Either chapel hill or Asheville, though we have a few west coast options and denver

Have you been to Asheville?? It’s really awesome.

Looking forward to having another Husky below the Mason-Dixon Line

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Have you been to Asheville?? It’s really awesome.

Looking forward to having another Husky below the Mason-Dixon Line

I have! I really enjoy it there, and strangely it’s a good job market for me there. The largest episcopal retreat center in the US is just south of Asheville, and a large episcopal boarding school is in town. The triangle is obviously another good market with the universities. Where are you living?

Reaction Score
I have! I really enjoy it there, and strangely it’s a good job market for me there. The largest episcopal retreat center in the US is just south of Asheville, and a large episcopal boarding school is in town. The triangle is obviously another good market with the universities. Where are you living?

I live in Atlanta.

My wife is from the North Georgia mountains, right along the NC border (near Murphy, NC) which is not far from Asheville so we go up there often. Beautiful area.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I live in Atlanta.

My wife is from the North Georgia mountains, right along the NC border (near Murphy, NC) which is not far from Asheville so we go up there often. Beautiful area.

Oh okay my brother is in Atlanta as well. I was just in Ellijay this past spring staying in Chattahoochee NF. Beautiful area.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hey all,

I’m currently employed, but am still looking around for other work prospects. I’ve got student loans to pay off and am trying to save up for when my fiancée begins medical residency next June. As such, we will most likely be moving away in one year, and this has prevented me from getting a full time, long term job in my field. I work in the Episcopal Church, but can’t take a full time job in the church when I may be leaving soon for a number of reasons.

As a result, I’m really looking for a full time job that will pay well. That’s really my highest priority at this point, and I think I can learn to do most things as long as I can get a foot in the door. I graduated from UConn in 2016 with a philosophy degree and in 2019 from Yale with my masters degree. I know there are a lot of older folks on here who may have some connections, so thought I’d at least give it a shot. As of now, I’ve got considerable loan payments and my current job is making it a bit challenging to make ends meet.

What specialty is your fiance trying to match to?

Reaction Score
Oh okay my brother is in Atlanta as well. I was just in Ellijay this past spring staying in Chattahoochee NF. Beautiful area.

Very familiar with Ellijay. The drive from Asheville to Atlanta is super easy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom