Jim Mora, UConn picking up pieces and continuing the work of building after one-sided loss at Michigan/?QB Roster Addition (Amore @ Courant) | The Boneyard

Jim Mora, UConn picking up pieces and continuing the work of building after one-sided loss at Michigan/?QB Roster Addition (Amore @ Courant)

Reaction Score
Good read by Amore.

Alternate access link here <<<

-> Jim Mora has never had a day like Saturday, when the UConn football team lost 59-0 at Michigan, so he’s never had to coach a team through the physical and mental toll such a day takes. He went to work on it when the Huskies boarded the bus at Ann Arbor, watching video. By the time their plane took off, he’d watched it all and began the process of putting pieces back together. <-

-> “We are trying to identify guys who can help us win,” Mora said. “We’re trying to identify better ways to put players in position to have success, guys who are doing it the right way. We’re trying to identify guys who aren’t doing it the right way and figure out why, if we’re not coaching it right, which is where we always start, if they’re unable to do some of the things we’re asking them to.” <-

-> By Sunday afternoon, Mora had a to-do list for the week. “I’ve got it written down right here,” he said, picking up a sheet of paper. “We have to eliminate the ‘if onlys.’ If only we’d have done this. If only we’d have done that. Those excuses, because you can find them on every play. ... Let’s accept the challenge, and let’s measure ourselves against ourselves and our potential, our standard and not our opponent and not the scoreboard. That’s an approach we have to take right now. Are we playing to the best of our ability on every play?”

“Eventually, that’s not going to be OK. You can’t judge yourself on that. It’s got to be on wins and losses. That’s pretty contrary to the way I have always thought, but the situation that we’re in, it’s important we concentrate on ourselves as we build this thing. [We are not] relenting. There’s way too much pride and competitive here. We have eight games left, and I see no reason we can’t be a very, very good football team by the end of the year, one people are proud of and one our players are proud to be a part of.” <-

-> Mora agreed improvement in true freshman quarterback Zion Turner is “hard to see,” and he attributes some of the lack of downfield passing to receivers not getting open, but expects more downfield passing as the season goes on. ... Mora expects to add another quarterback to the roster, but necessary paperwork is not yet completed. <-

Reaction Score
“Zermeno is a freshman from Los Angeles. He had double-digit offers coming out of Loyola High School. Most were from FCS schools, but two were from FBS programs: Maryland and San Diego State. He was committed to Princeton before coming to Arizona as a preferred walk-on.”

Three Star preferred walk on at Arizona.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Anyone know Cade McNamara's Venmo? I'll pay for his UConn Football initiated injuries if he portals over once he enters. And he will.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is this even possible? I’m not complaining, I just didn’t know players could go free agent in the middle of a season.

Reaction Score
If he's healthy I will take him. A few things are apparent.

1. Puma is not ready.
2. Millen is half-healthy
3. The OC is deathly afraid of Zion getting injured because there may only be a half-healthy Millen behind him. Hence the ultra conservative play calling.
4. Maybe now knowing there is a healthy QB in reserve they will open up the game plan a little bit. Maybe some zone read, a bootleg here or there, or gasp some play action and a downfield pass.

Now if Mora can somehow get a WR who can get some separation to transfer in. Until then I think they should line up Rosa out wide if they have to and send him on an occasional fly pattern, just to keep the defense somewhat honest. Or at least make a team game plan for something other then WR screens behind the line of scrimmage or RB dump-offs.

Reaction Score

-> ARE YOU STILL SEEING IMPROVEMENT IN ZION?:

“To be honest, it’s very hard to see. He is making improvement, he is. The inability to throw it down the field isn’t necessarily Zion. We haven’t been able to shake anyone loose down the field. We have some down field routes, but we haven’t been able to shake loose and then when he’s throwing it down there and it’s a 50-50 ball, we haven’t won at the moment of truth. So it looks ugly. You’re being really nice, it was ugly, ugly. Any improvement that he has made is absolutely disguised and it’s unapparent to the observer, unless you have a chance to sit down and break down the film and know exactly what we were doing. I’m just hopeful that he can stay healthy for another week, continue to improve and as we get in the second half of the season, that he can have some breakthroughs. He’s working at it. Cale [Millen] too. He’s a guy that we are going to have to play a little bit as well. He’s played in some games; he’s big, physical, can run; we put him in there basically just to run, but we are going to put him in there to throw as well because his shoulder is feeling good and we need to use him some. It’s always tricky when you have a young quarterback that’s struggling; do you leave him in and let him struggle and do you try to find those successes in the struggle, or do you yank him and maybe hurt his confidence. It’s dicey, so we’re trying to make the right decisions with all of our players.” <-

Reaction Score
I was at the game (4 rows behind the UConn bench), and he was in uniform and throwing on the sideline Saturday. I'm not sure why the article makes it sound like he's not yet w the team.
The article I just posted above by ThisIsUConnCountry said “… We only have five quarterbacks on our roster and one just got here a week ago.”

Reaction Score
The article I just posted by ThisIsUConnCountry said “… We only have five quarterbacks on our roster and one just got here a week ago.”
You'd have to wonder if Steven Krajewski is in SMH mode and would love a do over ?....since he hasn't played a minute a GA St and he's stuck with another back-up on their 2 deep.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was at the game (4 rows behind the UConn bench), and he was in uniform and throwing on the sideline Saturday. I'm not sure why the article makes it sound like he's not yet w the team.
Um.... seriously?

So...now we know how bad our QB situation is. It appears Zion is truly the only healthy QB. I would guess they don't expect Tyler Phommachanh or Millen to be effective this year. And....maybe Zion is playing hurt.

What a tough way for Mora to start his tenure at UConn. QB seemed like a strength. Glad they are getting creative...but yikes.

Reaction Score
Um.... seriously?

So...now we know how bad our QB situation is. It appears Zion is truly the only healthy QB. I would guess they don't expect Tyler Phommachanh or Millen to be effective this year. And....maybe Zion is playing hurt.

What a tough way for Mora to start his tenure at UConn. QB seemed like a strength. Glad they are getting creative...but yikes.
Yes. #4 but he didn't have his last name on his jersey. He was throwing w CM and Tyler Phommachanh.

Reaction Score
A few things are apparent.

1. Puma is not ready.
2. Millen is half-healthy
3. The OC is deathly afraid of Zion getting injured because there may only be a half-healthy Millen behind him. Hence the ultra conservative play calling.
So...now we know how bad our QB situation is. It appears Zion is truly the only healthy QB. I would guess they don't expect Tyler Phommachanh or Millen to be effective this year.

Sounds like Millen is making progress but I thought it was striking that there was no mention of Tyler P progress in the Mora commentary on Zion/QBs in post #15 above:

-> I’m just hopeful that he can stay healthy for another week, continue to improve and as we get in the second half of the season, that he can have some breakthroughs. He’s working at it. Cale [Millen] too. He’s a guy that we are going to have to play a little bit as well. He’s played in some games; he’s big, physical, can run; we put him in there basically just to run, but we are going to put him in there to throw as well because his shoulder is feeling good and we need to use him some. <-

A bye week or a wobbling Fiona would have been well timed @ this point.;)

Reaction Score
You'd have to wonder if Steven Krajewski is in SMH mode and would love a do over ?....since he hasn't played a minute a GA St and he's stuck with another back-up on their 2 deep.

I like moras moves. But that wasn’t A good one. If everyone was healthy Krajewski would never sniff action. They did him a favor.

But obviously the kid would be a live option this year. And I think he would have stayed too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom