Jim Mora - baseball fan | The Boneyard

Jim Mora - baseball fan

Reaction Score
Mora has been fully immersed in everything UConn since he arrived. He’s fully supporting the other athletic programs on campus. He’s also familiar with the challenges of an off campus stadium, since UCLA had a similar setup. Hopefully, with some early success on the field, his genuine engagement in campus life will culminate with a more positive student engagement with the football program

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Mora has been fully immersed in everything UConn since he arrived. He’s fully supporting the other athletic programs on campus. He’s also familiar with the challenges of an off campus stadium, since UCLA had a similar setup. Hopefully, with some early success on the field, his genuine engagement in campus life will culminate with a more positive student engagement with the football program
He hasn't coached a game and he's a home run hire already. I believe. He understands that his job is more than coaching football, something Randy clearly didn't understand.

Reaction Score
Love to see Mora and other coaches at the games. I saw Hurley at baseball games in the past in Hartford as well.

Was Mora in Bridgeport last night? Understandable if he wasn't since spring practice today.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Love to see Mora and other coaches at the games. I saw Hurley at baseball games in the past in Hartford as well.

Was Mora in Bridgeport last night? Understandable if he wasn't since spring practice today.
He was in Bridgeport but he is being paid to coach the football team and he better be to all practices unless he is recruiting.

Reaction Score
He was in Bridgeport but he is being paid to coach the football team and he better be to all practices unless he is recruiting.
I get the feeling the new coach, an outsider, wants to get familiar with the culture of the UConn campus. That includes what happens at games involving other teams. He also likely wants to get better known on campus before the football season starts. Both are admirable. I doubt Diaco or Coach PP did either. It can help lead to more fans getting excited about the new season, and then perhaps attending games.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling the new coach, an outsider, wants to get familiar with the culture of the UConn campus. That includes what happens at games involving other teams. He also likely wants to get better known on campus before the football season starts. Both are admirable. I doubt Diaco or Coach PP did either. It can help lead to more fans getting excited about the new season, and then perhaps attending games.
I think there will be a realively big crowd at the the fisrt home game vs central to check to see if the hype is real, especially if we are competitive vs Utah State in Week 0.

Reaction Score
He's also grabbing the mic at games, which sparks up interest too. He's selling his program and seem genuinely happy and proud of what he's doing here. I think it's resonating with a lot of folks and it'll lead to an uptick in interest come fall.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I remember Jim Calhoun going to a lot of UConn football games and saw him occasionally at baseball and once at a womens FH tournament match on campus.
I wish all the coaches would do what Coach Mora is doing.
Ive seen him at men and women BB games, saw him at the soccer scrimmage before the Xavier Mens BB game and now at the baseball game over the weekend.
I remember Geno at an occasional football game years ago - thats about it
Where are you DH? (yeah he was at 2 football games because the team was there signing autographs - that doesn't count)
Thanks Coach Mora

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I remember Jim Calhoun going to a lot of UConn football games and saw him occasionally at baseball and once at a womens FH tournament match on campus.
Ive seen him at men and women BB games, saw him at the soccer scrimmage before the Xavier Mens BB game and now at the baseball game over the weekend.
Where are you DH? (yeah he was at 2 football games because the team was there signing autographs - that doesn't count)
Thanks Coach Mora
It's indicative of true leaders; raise others up while you lead by example.

Reaction Score
Multi-tasking, time management: some people manage each better than average blokes. Aside from Mora's apparent strong impression of the women's basketball team, some people may envision his Bridgeport appearance potentially enabling meeting Gold Coasters and others who typically may not go to football games and possibly chatting up current or prospective donors (including some women's basketball supporters). Crazy concept, a few hours phone-enabled connection and all.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Thanks Coach Mora
I know Geno went to at least one baseball game last year before which he spoke to the team.

The idea that each of our major sports are their own petty fiefdoms is dumb. Mora reaching out to each of the other fanbases is an entirely sensible strategic move, but, I think it’s legitimate. He’s part of the University and he’s rooting for everybody. As I’ve noted before, I’ve got to see results on the field before I can 100% buy in, but I get the sense that his rising tide will not only raise football but the athletic department as a whole.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've used Occam's Razor in an unrelated thread but I think it works here as well. Mora is a man of a certain age "starting over". He could have chosen many places for him and his fiancée to live once he left the woods and he chose Storrs. I agree that he is always marketing the program but also I think part of their making Storrs a home is the community involvement we are seeing.

Reaction Score
I know Geno went to at least one baseball game last year before which he spoke to the team.

The idea that each of our major sports are their own petty fiefdoms is dumb. Mora reaching out to each of the other fanbases is an entirely sensible strategic move, but, I think it’s legitimate. He’s part of the University and he’s rooting for everybody. As I’ve noted before, I’ve got to see results on the field before I can 100% buy in, but I get the sense that his rising tide will not only raise football but the athletic department as a whole.
Calhoun also spoke to the Baseball team prior to them traveling for the NCAA regionals. I have seen both Geno and Hurley at baseball games at Dunkin Donuts park. I think Hurley was at the double header against Houston. Even KO was at a game in Hartford which was the first time that I saw Tim Cate pitch and he pitched very well. Good to see coaches follow other sports when they can. It builds some good will with people like me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Map from University of Connecticut to Bridgeport

1 hr 20 min (75.5 mi) via CT-15 S

stripes lighten GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul