Jim Fuller TV Interview This PM | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller TV Interview This PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Jim recently made a comment in his column to the effect that Erica McCall, A'ja Wilson and Lauren Cox all loved being recruited by UConn (and Geno went all-in with each) but none had any intention of playing for the Huskies.

That statement was startling to me since it called into question the ethics of all three families. I wish they had asked Jim about the basis for his comment. (He obviously knew something! What was it?)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jim recently made a comment in his column to the effect that Erica McCall, A'ja Wilson and Lauren Cox all loved being recruited by UConn (and Geno went all-in with each) but none had any intention of playing for the Huskies.
That statement was startling to me since it called into question the ethics of all three families. I wish they had asked Jim about the basis for his comment. (He obviously knew something! What was it?)
Kib this (ethics of the families) has been discussed here before. IMO there are no ethical issues . For the truly undecided recruit, I don't know how you can eliminate a school without visiting the campus. We are also not talking about a heck of a lot of money here. Plane tickets for a family of 4 and 2 hotel rooms for 2 nights Max $2K. None of the money gets put in the hands of the family at anytime. Even if these families were leaning towards going elsewhere, Storrs CT is not exactly a hotspot destination. The weekend itinerary is jammed pack with activity typically going to a class with someone on the team and dinner/ breakfast at one of the coaches homes. It is not like the family can suddenly decide you know what we are close enough to NYC let's go catch a play, because there is no time for it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib this (ethics of the families) has been discussed here before. IMO there are no ethical issues . For the truly undecided recruit, I don't know how you can eliminate a school without visiting the campus.

The points you made are spot-on except for one thing.

The way I read Jim's column, none were "truly undecided." The only thing the three had purportedly (and individually) decided was that UConn was a nice place for a visit, not a destination to be considered. Had he been asked I am sure he could have clarified what he wrote - if only for dummies like me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I figure he also said something in this interview about EDD's departure.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
The points you made are spot-on except for one thing.

The way I read Jim's column, none were "truly undecided." The only thing the three had purportedly (and individually) decided was that UConn was a nice place for a visit, not a destination to be considered. Had he been asked I am sure he could have clarified what he wrote - if only for dummies like me.

i'm with y0u. and it's not just the financial cost. that's the least to worry about. it's the opportunity cost. it's the uconn staff putting all kinds of effort into recruiting her, and their time diverted from other recruits. i see that as morally objectionable if they truly had no intention of becoming a husky.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno and Chris are pretty smart folks - they drop players pretty fast when they get negative feedback. I doubt they are not better informed than a member of the horde as to the possibility of a player coming to Uconn. Were some players that they arranged visits for very long shots, I am sure, but sometimes you roll the dice if the prize is worth it. They strike out on ones that people think are 'Uconn leans', and they get commits on ones that 'aren't going to leave their home state'.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno and Chris are pretty smart folks - they drop players pretty fast when they get negative feedback. I doubt they are not better informed than a member of the horde as to the possibility of a player coming to Uconn. Were some players that they arranged visits for very long shots, I am sure, but sometimes you roll the dice if the prize is worth it. They strike out on ones that people think are 'Uconn leans', and they get commits on ones that 'aren't going to leave their home state'.
Also it is true that the mind of a teenager changes every millisecond as her body atoms are replaced. To paraphrase one BY poster, trying to decipher such is akin to reading tea leaves.

Reaction Score
Agree. To me no ethical issue. UCONN hosts at their own free will. Sometimes their thought process may include the possibility of changing the mind of a prospect who "has no intention of coming to UCONN."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agree. To me no ethical issue. UCONN hosts at their own free will. Sometimes their thought process may include the possibility of changing the mind of a prospect who "has no intention of coming to UCONN."
I hope they can change the mind of Ionescu. Well, hope against hope really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom