Jim Fuller: Looks like Uconn - Baylor series will NOT be renewed | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Looks like Uconn - Baylor series will NOT be renewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec wrote a story back in November in which he reported that ESPN wanted the game to be played in January or February but that Mulkey didn't want to play in the middle of conference play:

"UConn is also working on an extension of its series with Baylor of the Big 12. The Huskies and Bears will wrap up a home-and-home deal on Dec. 18 in Waco, Texas. UConn edged Baylor 65-64 in Hartford a year ago. There is hesitation on Baylor’s end to accept a new contract at this point because ESPN wants the schools to play in January or February in the middle of their respective conference schedules and Baylor is unsure it wants to do that."

I understand why ESPN wants Big Monday games in Jan and Feb and UConn-Baylor would be a great one, but some schools are reluctant to interrupt conference play. ESPN pushed hard for Tenn and ND to play their game in January and after some resistance both teams ultimately agreed. Maybe Baylor will change its mind.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone hopes they can work it out. WCBB needs them to play. Hoping for the best for McKenith, a really good player for SJU.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good job ESPN. Clearly it was more important to try to force a specific date that worked for you rather than proceeding with a date that would easily have worked for both programs. Now there's no game at all between the clear cut two best teams headed into next season. And the game probably would have been played in CT, too. Thanks a bunch- this is much better.

Reaction Score
Would be good for the game. Let's hope they work it out.

Yeah, especially since the first game of any new contract would include Brittney Griner in her senior year at Baylor. Griner has gotten attention among some of my friends who don't really follow wcbb, so I'd assume the viewership would be better than usual.

She's a certifiable draw.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I blame ESPN but I also think that the coaches should agree that a game of this caliber should be played regardless of the when and where. So they would have to play mid-conference...with TAMU gone next season, what is the level of competition really going to be in the Big XII? Like it or not, the women's game is still growing, and if ESPN wants to have it played later in the season, well...do it. Until WCBB can dictate their own terms, thems the breaks...

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Good job ESPN. Clearly it was more important to try to force a specific date that worked for you rather than proceeding with a date that would easily have worked for both programs. Now there's no game at all between the clear cut two best teams headed into next season. And the game probably would have been played in CT, too. Thanks a bunch- this is much better.
What? Are you saying that because ESPN wants the game midwinter, that means the teams cannot contract to play each other in December or anytime they agree? ESPN has veto power: You cannot plan unless you play by our rules?

Is there some sort of contractual crap that says if ESPN can't carry the game, no one else can? Has the NCAA put itself in that kind of straightjacket? And if so, can't Baylor-UConn simply play without TV? If they did, ESPN would pay a heavy PR price, no one else.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What? Are you saying that because ESPN wants the game midwinter, that means the teams cannot contract to play each other in December or anytime they agree? ESPN has veto power: You cannot plan unless you play by our rules?

Is there some sort of contractual crap that says if ESPN can't carry the game, no one else can? Has the NCAA put itself in that kind of straightjacket? And if so, can't Baylor-UConn simply play without TV? If they did, ESPN would pay a heavy PR price, no one else.
i'm with you 100%. if espn doens't want to televise it in december, find someone else who will be willing to do so.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Although I believe UConn and Baylor could try to schedule a game independently of a broadcast partner, I imagine the politics of doing so would be murky enough to preclude that happening.

Contractually speaking, CBS has second-tier rights to WCBB, and schools can partner with other entities (like CPTV, for instance) for its third-tier rights.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Realistically, I'm not sure that the game is - at least next year - that valuable to either team. There are both plusses and minusses involved; from the UConn side, I'm not sure that the unique contest against BG really does anything positive - especially if there is a possibility that you are going to play again in the NCAA's. Plus the presumed main contributors next year will have already played against her this year, so will be prepared for any tourney matchup.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Realistically, I'm not sure that the game is - at least next year - that valuable to either team. There are both plusses and minusses involved; from the UConn side, I'm not sure that the unique contest against BG really does anything positive - especially if there is a possibility that you are going to play again in the NCAA's. Plus the presumed main contributors next year will have already played against her this year, so will be prepared for any tourney matchup.
You have to be kidding, right? The game is a total win-win for everyone, especially UConn and Baylor. There are no minuses.

Reaction Score
Although I believe UConn and Baylor could try to schedule a game independently of a broadcast partner, I imagine the politics of doing so would be murky enough to preclude that happening.

Contractually speaking, CBS has second-tier rights to WCBB, and schools can partner with other entities (like CPTV, for instance) for its third-tier rights.
I was surprised that the 2-game series even happened and probably wouldn't have without ESPN intervention in the first place as Baylor and Mulkey never showed any real interest in playing UConn in the past. I didn't expect the series to last for that reason.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Is anyone thinking past next year? The Baylor folks might not be so interested in a home and home the season after.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
If Baylor simply does not want to play UConn or vice versa for whatever reason, it's their right and not a crime. Using ESPNor the calendar as a smokescreen to hide that is not cool, though. What's wrong with being straightforward? Afraid someone will call 'em yellow?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Yeah, especially since the first game of any new contract would include Brittney Griner in her senior year at Baylor. Griner has gotten attention among some of my friends who don't really follow wcbb, so I'd assume the viewership would be better than usual.

and college basketball would be in full swing... with the nfl wrapping up

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Good observation.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score

i have friends who don't like any women's basketball who tune in to watch BG play... i completely agree.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
If Baylor simply does not want to play UConn or vice versa for whatever reason, it's their right and not a crime. Using ESPNor the calendar as a smokescreen to hide that is not cool, though. What's wrong with being straightforward? Afraid someone will call 'em yellow?
mulkey doesn't like playing non-conference during the the second semester, i think it has to do with her son being in high school and using her personal time to attend his events.

this past weekend she traveled later than the team, because her son was playing in state playoffs/championship football, i think he's a senior.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
mUlk is a single mother...has her last kid in the house... she wants to be a good mother first and foremost.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
i hope we get to renew it, especially after this next sunday. MULk will see how this game is important to the fans and WCBB

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
mUlk is a single mother...has her last kid in the house... she wants to be a good mother first and foremost.

well if the last kid is a senior in high school this year... then that has no bearing over scheduling a non conference game in January - Feb of next year.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 had 12 teams. They each played 16 games. The games were in 17 sessions. Each team had a bye in one of those sessions.
Sometimes a team would play an out of conference game on their bye week.
This year, there are 10 teams. For the first time, they're playing 18 games, in 18 sessions, no byes.
From the first week of January through the end of the NCAA Tourney, there are just no holes in the schedule. Two games per week in the conference schedule, every week, then immediately into the B12 tourney, then immediately after that into the Big Dance.
For a team to wedge an extra game into January or February looks like it would mean playing three games that week or else convincing the entire conference to start conference play a week earlier.

Everyone's still trying to figure out how this new schedule is going to work. Probably don't want to add an extra game to it until they see how they handle the change that was recently made.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In other words more spillover from BCS garbage. This stuff affects more things than one initially recognizes.

Reaction Score
I hope that this changes and the series is continued; it would be good for both programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom