Jim Fuller: Geno ticked.... abrupt end to practice | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Geno ticked.... abrupt end to practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Read the article and it didn't seem quite as bad as it sounded in the header for this thread. He's obviously still trying to convince at least some of the Huskies that they have to play through their fatigue in practice and in games. The question is: is this a new problem or is it just classic Auriemma?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
he said about 90% of the practice was productive which is a good thing. more teaching for the kids...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
="RoyDodger, post: 118217"]Read the article and it didn't seem quite as bad as it sounded in the header for this thread. He's obviously still trying to convince at least some of the Huskies that they have to play through their fatigue in practice and in games. The question is: is this a new problem or is it just classic Auriemma?
He threw Renee among others out of practice on other ocassions in the past and from some comments Maya made I think she even had experienced being sent to the pool to swim laps on at least one occasion. She noted that no one liked being sent to the pool.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno is on point. He knows his girls need to be able to dig just a bit deeper. Had they done so, they probably beat Baylor. He's going to keep pushing them, and I have faith the effect will be transformative by march/April.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He threw Renee among others out of practice on other ocassions in the past and from some comments Maya made I think she even experience when being sent to the pool to swim laps on at least one occasion.
I don't recall Maya being kicked out, but I think Renee was. Either she or Ketia was banished to the pool--and absolutely hated it.

Reaction Score
Geno was cranky and having a low sugar bout............UCONN will be just fine........

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Geno is on point. He knows his girls need to be able to dig just a bit deeper. Had they done so, they probably beat Baylor. He's going to keep pushing them, and I have faith the effect will be transformative by march/April.

He has his finger on the pulse of the team, that's for sure. I know I wasn't happy with the output after the Baylor loss.....maybe something like this is needed to be a wake up call....."Tick Tock, Ladies...Tick Tock...."

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Read the article and it didn't seem quite as bad as it sounded in the header for this thread. He's obviously still trying to convince at least some of the Huskies that they have to play through their fatigue in practice and in games. The question is: is this a new problem or is it just classic Auriemma?
Maybe this will get me off the hook for my header.....

Rich Elliot

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe this will get me off the hook for my header.....

Rich Elliot
Yeah, Rich reported the same.

The question I have is: Are they ready for a tough game at Notre Dame? They will need to play 40 minutes in that one, in early January. Did they learn anything from the Baylor game, other than the fact that they can be very good for 30 minutes?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"So we just have to come together and just focus. I think that we’re so young that we just lose focus all the time so easily. I think that’s our biggest thing.’’

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of the fatigue is physical and how much is mental? One thing we know about Geno is he makes it very clear what will be expected in practive every day before a kid commits to his program.

But it still has to be tough on these kids and especially the freshman if its not something they've ever been used to before. Think about taking a one or two hour boot camp class everyday at the gym if you've never worked out before. Shouldn't they be given some slack and how much?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno points out that the kids get scholarships worth over $30,000, and all he asks for is 2 hours a day. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno points out that the kids get scholarships worth over $30,000, and all he asks for is 2 hours a day. :)
He really should coach at Yale instead because he could tell them their scholarships are worth $55,000 a year. Might help him get better value for practice. ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"So we just have to come together and just focus. I think that we’re so young that we just lose focus all the time so easily. I think that’s our biggest thing.’’
I have it on good authority that UConn is NOT young. Not only that, but I'm shocked that Geno would use that as an excuse. Shocked!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have it on good authority that UConn is NOT young. Not only that, but I'm shocked that Geno would use that as an excuse. Shocked!
I couldn't help myself. Clearly, the team identifies itself as young.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He really should coach at Yale instead because he could tell them their scholarships are worth $55,000 a year. Might help him get better value for practice. ;)
Geno's expectations would be about twice as high. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love blueberry bagels... and let it go before Nan spanks you for harping on previously discussed stuff.

BTW I disagree with Geno too... every word that comes out his mouth isnt always correct IMO so Im not convinced :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BTW he mentioned young after a practice not after a loss at Baylor. Fans can twist that lost to Baylor any way they want, a soph was the difference!

Who's young, Bria the leader or Instant-Offense KML?

Tiff, CD5, Buck & Kelly arent young.

oh maybe he's talking about Dolson & Stokes? He cant be calling the 2nd best center in WCBB young... narrows it down to Stokes if my investigation is correct

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I love blueberry bagels... and let it go before Nan spanks you for harping on previously discussed stuff.

BTW I disagree with Geno too... every word that comes out his mouth isnt always correct IMO so Im not convinced :)
I simply quoted the new material as given in the material from Elliot. It was pertinent to the present thread and the other thread. It had nothing to do with the Baylor game per se but does have to do with how the team responds firsts like the first loss, first road trip, first finals, first Christmas break, etc. With 7-out of 11 being under classmen they are young. Clearly, it is an issue they have framed among themselves as one of youth and maturity.

BTW, it was Dolson not Geno who defined the team as young, not Geno.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I simply quoted the new material as given in the material from Elliot. It was pertinent to the present thread and the other thread. It had nothing to do with the Baylor game per se but does have to do with how the team responds firsts like the first loss, first road trip, first finals, first Christmas break, etc. With 7-out of 11 being under classmen they are young. Clearly, it is an issue they have framed among themselves as one of youth and maturity.

BTW, it was Dolson not Geno who defined the team as young, not Geno.

thanks

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
BTW he mentioned young after a practice not after a loss at Baylor. Fans can twist that lost to Baylor any way they want, a soph was the difference!

If you are talking about Sims, yes, she is a soph. But my point is not an individual player, it's the ROSTER and who is in the regular rotation. And BTW, a JUNIOR was the difference and her name is Griner.

Who's young, Bria the leader or Instant-Offense KML?

Both, or is that too difficult to calculate. One is a soph that has played onlt 49 games in her career. One is a freshman that has played only 11.

Tiff, CD5, Buck & Kelly arent young.

There is a difference in young and inexperienced. Tiff is not young nor inexperienced, but she is the exception along with Faris. Tiff has played in 127 games and Faris has played in 88 games. But Doty has played in only 65 games, less than the equivilent of 2 seasons and Buck has not been a regular her entire career until now and she has played in only 76 games and only around 10 minutes a game. So both Doty and Buck might be older, but they are still young in game time.

oh maybe he's talking about Dolson & Stokes? He cant be calling the 2nd best center in WCBB young... narrows it down to Stokes if my investigation is correct

Dolson and Hartley have had to grow up quickly but no matter how you frame it, they are both young in both years (underclassemen) and games played (49 games each).

So, one more time, they have ONE senior, ONE junior that has played 2 full seasons, 2 RS juniors that haven't played 2 full seasons so they are like Sophs in games played, and the rest are Sophs and Freshman. That is 7 of those.

They are young AND inexperienced. Just facts.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Sounds a bit positive on a potential Baylor game next year. I hope Baylor is willing. It would be Griner's last year and they will be dynamite. If early in the year, it would be a wake-up call for the UConn frosh in particular. I would love to see how our newbies do on that huge stage. If in February it would be a nice break from conference foes....something Geno seems willing to do on a regular basis.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Sorry Ice...no academic or athletic scholarships at Ivies, for anyone. All financial aid is need based.

I know, I wrote the checks.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There is nothing new here. Auriemma getting po'd at practice and ranting about lack of effort is an annual event. I wonder how much is scripted?

IMO the most important part was the mention of ESPN adding some pressure to get a Baylor matchup. If ESPN ups the payoff Mulkey will fold. Which may have been Mulkey's plan from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom