OT: Jim Calhoun's St. Joseph Blue Jays debut in the D3 Top 25 | The Boneyard

OT: Jim Calhoun's St. Joseph Blue Jays debut in the D3 Top 25

Reaction Score
After only a little more than a year and a half of the program Calhoun already has his team ranked at #22. After losing 2 of their first 3 games they've now won 18 in a row and are rolling over teams, including a 19 point win on the road over #21 (at the time) Albertus Magnus. The man can coach!

Reaction Score
Would Calhoun have a better record than Hurley with our current team? No way to know if course but I would guess yes. He would have pulled some players in a nanosecond that Hurley did not.

Reaction Score
Delshawn Jackson from Prince Tech is averaging 20 points a game. Gotta wonder if he'll be getting scholarship looks from some low-majors for next season.

Reaction Score
Would Calhoun have a better record than Hurley with our current team? No way to know if course but I would guess yes. He would have pulled some players in a nanosecond that Hurley did not.
No matter which way you look at it, it still comes down to kids making shots and this current team is horrible at that!

Reaction Score
Delshawn Jackson from Prince Tech is averaging 20 points a game. Gotta wonder if he'll be getting scholarship looks from some low-majors for next season.

he’s a good player and although this may not apply to him because of size and athleticism, I believe that is part of the plan for some of the more talented kids: play 2 and see if you get a scholarship after.

Reaction Score
The classic 15 second Calhoun yank and shout, straight to the bench.

Reaction Score
If your idea of fun would be watching a 96-35 basketball game.

it probably wouldn’t be like that unless we are very very good. We usually beat average d2 schools in exhibitions by what, between 25 and 35 points in recent years? Most of the very good d3 teams are better than average d2 teams.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Calhoun joins 900 club
1581446121869.png

Reaction Score
Actually I'm glad Calhoun left us when he did. He did not belong in the AAC. I'd would be like Coach K coaching dook in the A10.

Plus where he is now is perfect for him, he can simply coach, which is his passion. As opposed to the nuances of a big staff, competing to land nationally ranked recruits, D1 NCAA pressures, stress of having to win to maintain his HOF reputation, etc.. Hell to get a D3 recruit he only needs to send a letter or make a call.

At St. Joesph's he could lose every freakin game and he still would remain one of the greatest (i.e. untarnished). I would also bet these kids listen and respond better than D1 players (NBA ambitions).

I'm just so happy for him, he looks relaxed and he's having fun. At his age it's pure amateur basketball.

Reaction Score
I doubt they would ever do it, but it would be fun to do a preseason game against them.
I think it would be cool. But they would have to pool the players and then let coaches flip a coin for first pick and then alternate. As I write this I’m thinking what an idea for first nite or whatever it’s called. Great experience for the St Joe’s kids.

Reaction Score
I doubt they would ever do it, but it would be fun to do a preseason game against them.
That would be somethin, for sure. I bet the place would be packed!

Reaction Score
JC looks much better than he did when he left UConn. I think the UConn job was killing him. He was constantly sick and wearing down. At St Joe's the pressure and pace of life are much more suited to his age and relative health. Speaking of the AAC. The travel demands alone would have taken a huge toll on JC.

Reaction Score
The guy is just giving back to players that play for the love of the game and would never have a chance to be coached by one of the game’s HOF coaches. He could have sat back on the beach and made coin pontificating on leadership at high priced backslapping events. Total respect.

Reaction Score
Up to #17. Going for 23 straight tomorrow. Crazy what Calhoun has done in less than 2 years of the program.

Reaction Score

Who's comparing?

Him. Not that I care. It is inevitable. However, I’m digging Hurley the last few weeks

Reaction Score
Why is this "amazing"? He's a hall of fame coach at the D3 level. If Coach K retired and went to ECSU and did the same thing, would that be amazing too?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom