OT: Jim Calhoun's St. Joseph Blue Jays debut in the D3 Top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jim Calhoun's St. Joseph Blue Jays debut in the D3 Top 25

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Calhoun hadn't left, we might be in the ACC. There was a lot of belief that UConn could not sustain its program sans Calhoun. This was one of the reasons UConn was passed over; the other: Blumenthal.
Lol, uh, no, and uh, no.

Reaction Score
Why is this "amazing"? He's a hall of fame coach at the D3 level. If Coach K retired and went to ECSU and did the same thing, would that be amazing too?
People are probably saying this because he took the program in only 1.5 years to this level. St. Joseph just started playing men's basketball last year. St. Joseph used to be an all women's school.

I wouldn't use the word "amazing" but I do find it "interesting" that he dropped down to the D3 level and is doing what he is doing.

Reaction Score
Up to #17. Going for 23 straight tomorrow. Crazy what Calhoun has done in less than 2 years of the program.

lol, who voted for UW-Platteville #1?

Reaction Score
People are probably saying this because he took the program in only 1.5 years to this level. St. Joseph just started playing men's basketball last year. St. Joseph used to be an all women's school.

I wouldn't use the word "amazing" but I do find it "interesting" that he dropped down to the D3 level and is doing what he is doing.

And don't discount the amazing job that Matt Croci is doing at Wittenberg. They had a blowout win over Eastern Mennonite last month.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And don't discount the amazing job that Matt Croci is doing at Wittenberg. They had a blowout win over Eastern Mennonite last month.
... and those Mennonites are known to be ballers. Kind of the mid western equivalent of Brooklyn kids.

Reaction Score
Legendary coach, I’m not surprised at all. I watched the E:60 special they did with him last year and he was getting those kids ready to compete.

Reaction Score
Who’s Matt Croci? Should I know who he is?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is it dumb? Coach Croci has Wittenberg at 20-1. 4 years ago, they were 10-16!
Where did Croci coach before Wittenberg? Never heard of him but sounds like he’s doing a great job.

pj

Reaction Score
Why is it dumb? Coach Croci has Wittenberg at 20-1. 4 years ago, they were 10-16!

It's no easy task for Jim Calhoun to keep up with talented young coaches like Matt Croci. I wouldn't be surprised if he was having a little self-doubt right now.

Reaction Score
It's no easy task for Jim Calhoun to keep up with talented young coaches like Matt Croci. I wouldn't be surprised if he was having a little self-doubt right now.
Croci is 47 but I bet ol' JC could run circles around the guy.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
You understand this is a UConn fan board right? Get out of here with this faux concern about us not praising other D3 coaches.

Reaction Score
You understand this is a UConn fan board right? Get out of here with this faux concern about us not praising other D3 coaches.
Deepster just likes to be like this sometimes. It's his schtick. Nobody is perfect.

Reaction Score
Calhoun isn't coaching like he used to. He's more hands off. Ryan Olander, jeff c, rashmael, and glenn are doing the heavy lifting. Calhoun's name is helping them bring in talent that new d3 schools couldn't normally get.

Reaction Score

I understand exactly what this board is.

All I'm saying is it's amazing what Calhoun has done at St Joes. And amazing what what's his name did at Whatsamatta U too. Amazing.

Reactions: pj

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I understand exactly what this board is.

All I'm saying is it's amazing what Calhoun has done at St Joes. And amazing what what's his name did at Whatsamatta U too. Amazing.
Really, the truly amazing thing here, is that working so close to Hartford, Calhoun hasn't been shot yet.

Reaction Score
Really, the truly amazing thing here, is that working so close to Hartford, Calhoun hasn't been shot yet.

No. Especially since the bar and pizza place right across the street from his old spot "Coaches" had a number of shootings.

Reaction Score
If Calhoun hadn't left, we might be in the ACC. There was a lot of belief that UConn could not sustain its program sans Calhoun. This was one of the reasons UConn was passed over; the other: Blumenthal.
I can't beleive people still believe that. Lol

Reaction Score
Would Calhoun have a better record than Hurley with our current team? No way to know if course but I would guess yes. He would have pulled some players in a nanosecond that Hurley did not.

A 60 year old JC would have a better record. Absolutely. He is one of the greatest coaches of all time.

But UConn was killing Calhoun. He was getting sick every year. He was suffering all types of maladies and accidents. The demands of coaching at an elite major college level was taking a huge toll on him.

No doubt, he is happier and healthy right where he is. If he took over the Huskies when Hurley did, I'm afraid he would have regressed pretty quickly. But we will never know the answer.

Reaction Score
He will get another W tonight in the opener of the GNAC tournament. My son's school isn't very good at hoops. But at least they made their own conference tournament this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom