Jim Calhoun, UConn pairing reaches 30-year anniversary | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun, UConn pairing reaches 30-year anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember reading the morning Globe that day 30 yrs ago and seeing that we hired JC. I was familiar with the great job he did at Northeastern and I told my wife that we just hired a really good coach and to expect the program to hit new heights. But, never expected the heights we have reached and the amazing job JC did.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember being grateful that we'd gotten rid of Perno, nice guy, but not a good coach. I thought that Calhoun was a solid hire but wished that we could get a marquee guy into Storrs to compete witht the great coaches of the Big East. I liked Calhoun's Northeastern teams and felt that he could get us into the middle of the pack in the Big East. He was a good "next step."

Who knew that that next step was a "giant leap" into the elite of college basketball?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would hope that if we've learned anything as it comes to coaches. Find and hire the next great guy (JC, GA, KO, RE), not the last guy who did OK but was fired by someone else (PP).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember being grateful that we'd gotten rid of Perno, nice guy, but not a good coach. I thought that Calhoun was a solid hire but wished that we could get a marquee guy into Storrs to compete witht the great coaches of the Big East. I liked Calhoun's Northeastern teams and felt that he could get us into the middle of the pack in the Big East. He was a good "next step."

Who knew that that next step was a "giant leap" into the elite of college basketball?
I remember it well. My hope was that we would more often than not field a tournament team and on rare occasion make run at the conference title. Those a lot younger than we are will never be able to understand but where we were then, thinking we could do more than maybe a couple sweet sixteens a decade required some delusion.

Reaction Score
I knew of Jim Calhoun especially after NE blew us out in our own holiday Tourny which we fans dubbed the cupcake classic.
I remember the day of the hire , I was talking to an ESPN Employee who attended
Northeastern and had started their career as a SID for his Alma Mater.
He knew I was a UConn fan so we discussed the hire.
I thought it would be a decent hire but was a little disappointed we didn't get a big time coach to compete against the Big East legends.
He was really upset at loosing JC,but I can still remember him sadly saying you guys have no idea how great a coach you got. Truer words have never been spoken.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members