Jim Calhoun: UConn is going to be better than people think next season. | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun: UConn is going to be better than people think next season.

Reaction Score
After last season most basketball experts probably think we are going to be not good so this is not exactly a high bar to jump, but I bet he believes in the talent and the better coaching we have.

Reaction Score
Great. That's all this board and fan base need right now is more Kool Aid

I find the attempt to try to throw cold water on any optimism over next year to be really really weird. It's been going on for a few weeks. Seems to be some preemptive lowering of expectations for Hurley's first year. I'm not buying it. I don't think Calhoun or Hurley are either. We we're bad last year. Very bad. But we were worse than we should have been and a lot of the reasons for it are gone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find the attempt to try to throw cold water on any optimism over next year to be really really weird. It's been going on for a few weeks. Seems to be some preemptive lowering of expectations for Hurley's first year. I'm not buying it. I don't think Calhoun or Hurley are either. We we're bad last year. Very bad. But we were worse than we should have been and a lot of the reasons for it are gone.
Agreed, but at the same time that all doesn't magically go away with a coaching change. Getting back to where we expect to be is a process. It will take time.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but at the same time that all doesn't magically go away with a coaching change. Getting back to where we expect to be is a process. It will take time.

I agree. It will take time. And I think and 8-10 seed should be the goal for next year based on the roster. That's why I find some of the rather transparent attempts to lower the bar for next year to be....interesting. Calhoun didn't get the memo. I agree with him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. It will take time. And I think and 8-10 seed should be the goal for next year based on the roster. That's why I find some of the rather transparent attempts to lower the bar for next year to be....interesting. Calhoun didn't get the memo. I agree with him.
So my take is that absent catching lightning in a bottle we may be a bit short of that. That's not me deliberately trying lower expectations. That's my optimism being a bit damaged from the last two seasons. There are just too many unknowns and new faces. For instance, will Gilbert, will be healthy? Will he be able physically and mentally to play like the kid recruited? Will the new kids fit together well with last year's team? Will CV be okay in an reduced role? Is Tarin going to be as good as advertised? Are we going to have a credible 5 or 4 break out of the pack? I don't know what the answers are, but it seems unlikely that we strike gold on all of them.

20 wins would be a good first season for Hurley, but that may not get into the NCAAs absent winning the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score
People aren't lowering the bar. They're looking at the last two years and they see a whole bunch of questions marks. If one or two things don't go our way then people who 100% expect a tournament berth are going to be disappointed. 20 regular season wins would be a huge improvement but it's probably not enough to make the tournament

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The last few years many of us have gone into the season with higher expectations than reasonable (myself included) and this board has become an absolute dumpster fire once things don't pan out. It might be time to let things progress themselves. Maybe enough with the Ajou Deng, Purvis the Ferrari type hype and let the wins do the talking.

But I do like the optimism. :p

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A team that plays consistent, smart, energetic team D and some sort of recognizable O is what I want. I have zero expectations about wins or losses or tournaments. If the effort and smarts are where they need to be,the record hopefully will reflect it.

C

Chief00

Calhoun loves Gilbert. Since he’s been injured much of the time it’s more about the type of person he is, work ethic and a guy who loves to talk basketball. But, make no mistake he can play when healthy, especially if he develops a better shot.

Reaction Score
I always qualify this. I am a KO guy...thought he deserved another year. Having said that, I think the team fell short of capabilities last year. With everyone back, and the respectable recruiting class....I think DH can get the team to overachieve a bit. Oh heck, it's less than 6 months.

Reaction Score
If they play hard and smart consistently, I will be happy with that. Meaningful progress is all I am looking for in year one. By year 2 or 3 I am hoping that we are back to being a tournament team the vast majority of the time. I think Hurley can do great things, butI think 2 to 3 seasons is realistic and fair to be truly back at an elite level.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I mean, we had the worst season in UCONN history last year. To go from that to an 8 seed would be one of the great turnarounds in NCAA history.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
People aren't lowering the bar. They're looking at the last two years and they see a whole bunch of questions marks. If one or two things don't go our way then people who 100% expect a tournament berth are going to be disappointed. 20 regular season wins would be a huge improvement but it's probably not enough to make the tournament
Lol.
I can't even.
I won't

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Good Ole Jimmy better start reading the BY, because it's obvious he's out of touch :cool:

Then again, maybe he is reading the BY and he's just trying to educate :rolleyes:

PS: College basketball is all about dramatic changes from season to season, especially following an injury plagued season, especially when two of your highest rated recruits are wearing street cloths all season, especially when you were playing a bunch of freshmen

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I mean, we had the worst season in UCONN history last year. To go from that to an 8 seed would be one of the great turnarounds in NCAA history.

No it wouldn't. It would mean Gilbert made it through the year, Jalen showed improvement, and we tried to run an offense and play a style that fit our personnel.

I gotta go with Sweet here. The talent is better than many are giving credit for, and Calhoun, whose ability to construct a team should be unquestioned, knows it. Reasonable optimism is warranted. The coaches used the talent poorly last year. That doesn’t tell you much about what they’re capabilities are.

Now, I wrote ‘reasonable’. Anyone who thinks we’ll run the table in the AAC is hallucinating.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
1998-99 Ohio State
1997-98: 8-22
1998-99: 27-9 (NCAA Final Four - vacated)

2003-04 Texas-El Paso
2002-03: 6-24
2003-04: 24-8 (NCAA First Round)

1999-00 Iowa State
1998-99: 15-15
1999-00: 32-5 (NCAA Elite Eight)

This type of list can go into infinity and beyond, it happens on a regular basis

How about this doozy?

Loyola Chicago
2016-2017 18-14
2017-2018 32-6 Final Four

Reaction Score
1998-99 Ohio State
1997-98: 8-22
1998-99: 27-9 (NCAA Final Four - vacated)

2003-04 Texas-El Paso
2002-03: 6-24
2003-04: 24-8 (NCAA First Round)

1999-00 Iowa State
1998-99: 15-15
1999-00: 32-5 (NCAA Elite Eight)

This type of list can go into infinity and beyond, it happens on a regular basis

How about this doozy?

Loyola Chicago
2016-2017 18-14
2017-2018 32-6 Final Four
you should look up what survival bias means

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members