Jim Calhoun to win ESPYS Best Coach award | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun to win ESPYS Best Coach award

Reaction Score
For most of ESPYS history, “Best Coach” (like most of the show’s other awards) was voted on by fans, producing winners such as Bill Belichick and Phil Jackson. In 2017, however, producers chose a new direction for the honor. Since then, the show has recognized coaches whose dedication to the job seemed to transcend wins and losses.

In 2017, ESPN gave “Best Coach” to legendary New Jersey high school coach Bob Hurley. In 2018, the award went to three Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School coaches who died in the mass shooting there.

This whole article was a great read

Reaction Score
“[E:60] got to follow his journey,” producer Rebecca Gitlitz said. “We’re looking a little bit more at the root, a little bit more at why he loves coaching so much and why he can speak to players and reach players the way other coaches cannot."

That will allow them the opportunity to de-emphasize his time at UConn.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
But we of the 'yard have known who the best coach in the history of coaching is for decades. How could it have taken ESPN so long to figure that out?

Reaction Score
Anytime Jim Calhoun gets a little of the recognition he so richly deserves, it's a good thing.

Why? Is this helping our recruiting? It isn’t. This does nothing more than whats already been done.

Reaction Score
No it is recognizing one of the greatest coaches of all time. Isn't that reason enough?

I find the timing of the award odd. Don't get me wrong, JC is up there with any and all. Considering where he did it, and what he did...maybe top 3 all time. Just wondering why now? Seems random.

Reaction Score
No it is recognizing one of the greatest coaches of all time. Isn't that reason enough?

Sure. So, how do you even win an ESPY? Is there a vote? Or do like three guys hole up in a conference room and decide?

Reaction Score
Nice award that he absolutely deserves. How lucky have we been to experience the Calhoun era. Whenever I hear the talking heads discussing the blue bloods (coach K, Williams, etc..) without mentioning JC I'm reminded of something Bum Phillips said about Tom Landry; "He can take his ins and beat yours ins and he can take yours ins and beat his ins". Truly a great coach.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
But we of the 'yard have known who the best coach in the history of coaching is for decades. How could it have taken ESPN so long to figure that out?

Because ESPN is so far up Coach K's can, they got lost in there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure. So, how do you even win an ESPY? Is there a vote? Or do like three guys hole up in a conference room and decide?
So for this particular award it's "the three guys" but again, it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm just glad to see Calhoun get recognition.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows the difference between made up awards and real ones. So coach accepts graciously with a smile, then takes the award home to put in a prominent place in his basement. I’d like to see it given to less known coaches that toil in obscurity, guys who would really treasure and appreciate it, not that Calhoun is not deserving.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everyone knows the difference between made up awards and real ones. So coach accepts graciously with a smile, then takes the award home to put in a prominent place in his basement. I’d like to see it given to less known coaches that toil in obscurity, guys who would really treasure and appreciate it, not that Calhoun is not deserving.
Meh, an ESPY isn't a participation trophy. I'd think of it more as a lifetime achievement award. I don't think Jim has to be embarrassed about putting it in his office and I'm sure his current (and past) players will enjoy the recognition.

Reaction Score
Meh, an ESPY isn't a participation trophy. I'd think of it more as a lifetime achievement award. I don't think Jim has to be embarrassed about putting it in his office and I'm sure his current (and past) players will enjoy the recognition.

You think Tyronn Lue got it two years ago for his lifetime body of work?

Reaction Score
My first thought is I hope he's ok health-wise and it's not getting ahead of something bad. I love JC so much, & unlike a lot of you, I have no ties geographically or family-wise, just loved JC and his tough-minded teams and became a fan in the 1990s.

Would still run thru a wall for the guy!!!

Loved the E60 JC things, will never love a coach the way I do JC!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom