Jim Calhoun Podcast | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun Podcast

Reaction Score
Podcast

Some great insight into what happened with Ollie. Seems to confirm most of the theories shared on this board.

Some interesting highlights:

Once he won the championship, it clouded Ollie, and he missed several details to prepare the program to retool to make future runs.

Ollie and Calhoun have not talked in 9 months.

When things went bad, Ollie stopped utilizing resources and only did things his way, and his relationship with players suffered severely.

Calhoun thinks he could learn from his mistakes and be a good coach in the future.

Also, I didn't realize Calhoun had stage four stomach cancer. Does not sound good.

They did some word association, and he called Geno ego driven. Rick Pitino - "not my favorite person".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Podcast

Some great insight into what happened with Ollie. Seems to confirm most of the theories shared on this board.

Once he won the championship, it clouded Ollie, and he missed several details to prepare the program to retool to make future runs.

When things went bad, Ollie stopped utilizing resources and only did things his way, and his relationship with players suffered severely.

Calhoun thinks he could learn from his mistakes and be a good coach in the future.

Also, I didn't realize Calhoun had stage four stomach cancer. Does not sound good.

They did some word association, and he called Geno ego driven. Rick Pitino - "not my favorite person".

UofCT2009 Questioned "good coach in the future"

Reaction Score
Calhoun and Geno are cut from the same cloth, particularly when it comes to speaking their minds and not holding back.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Oof.

A close friend saw him coming out of Smilow a couple months ago so I figured he had some cancer treatment going on, and then his comments in the article the other day about losing half of his stomach seemed to confirm this; but stage four, yikes.

Hope they got it all.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Certainly did not expect Calhoun to bring up KO's divorce. Wow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it. Some highlights:

KO:
KO was energetic, smart, good person.
Championship clouded view.
Didn't quite prepare for next run.
Personal issues affected him.
Left him a long message but hasn't talked in 9 months.
Lost kids.
What do you do when things go off track, how do you handle it? KO turned inward.
Once it wasn't working, injuries hurt.

DH:
DH has good sense of what a coach is from watching his dad.

Stomach cancer:
Diagnosis two years ago. Stage 4, Chemo, "then pills" but it regressed enough be able to remove it. Half of his stomach was removed. "Cancer free." Only 2nd in the his doctors history to do that. Calhoun attributes it to will.

Legacy:
He hopes he made the world a better place for the people he touched.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Certainly did not expect Calhoun to bring up KO's divorce. Wow.
Eh, He said they were both good people and didn't work. Hardly a scathing rebuke. It happened and like most of us, Calhoun observed in passing that the timing suggested that it impacted KO.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Eh, He said they were both good people and didn't work. Hardly a scathing rebuke. It happened and like most of us, Calhoun observed that the timing suggested in passing that it impacted KO.
Where are the board fatheads to call Calhoun a moron for reading too much into it? Lmao this place is a meme graveyard.

C

Chief00

Podcast

Sounds entertaining - Chief will listen.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Calhoun dropped the line "I'm learning all about the internet" which is a fascinating thing to imagine.

Would like to be a fly on the wall when JC discovers there's nude chicks everywhere online. Would laugh for days.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Stomach cancer:
Diagnosis two years ago. Stage 4, Chemo, "then pills" but it regressed enough be able to remove it. Half of his stomach was removed. "Cancer free." Only 2nd in the his doctors history to do that. Calhoun attributes it to will.

I love that man.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Sounds entertaining - Chief will listen.

I thought you were boys and you could just ask him yourself. What a lame.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Strange response. What’s your problem? Why wouldn’t I listen?

Because any information he reveals on that podcast is information Calhoun already tells you during your frequent private conversations . . . ?

Reaction Score
Did not know that JC had stage IV stomach cancer; hopefully the biologics agents that he is on will keep it away. The newer agent can work miracles with minimal side effects. Pres Jimmy Carter took it for his metastatic melanoma to his brain n had complete remission. Overall, a sad turn of events for the UCONN coaching staff from 2011. The last time I saw KO, he was trying to hide from everyone in West Hartford. I saw Glenn Miller 2 weeks ago when he was atop Talcott Mountain. He looked very sad, no UCONN or STJ gear on. I will be at Trinity on 11/9 to cheer JC on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom