Jim Calhoun Celebrity Classic has been canceled | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun Celebrity Classic has been canceled

Reaction Score
Event organizers decided months ago to discontinue the game, which has been held nine times, mostly on a biennial basis, at Mohegan Sun Arena since 1999.

But the crowds were increasingly growing smaller each year, and it was getting harder to attract some of the big-name stars.

“It just became obvious to everybody that it was a lot for the few remaining (former UConn) NBA players to kind of carry it,” said Peter Gold, whose marketing firm, Gold, Orluk & Partners, helps coordinate the event. “Until the pump gets re-primed, the game has been set aside for the moment.”

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Event organizers decided months ago to discontinue the game, which has been held nine times, mostly on a biennial basis, at Mohegan Sun Arena since 1999.

But the crowds were increasingly growing smaller each year, and it was getting harder to attract some of the big-name stars.

“It just became obvious to everybody that it was a lot for the few remaining (former UConn) NBA players to kind of carry it,” said Peter Gold, whose marketing firm, Gold, Orluk & Partners, helps coordinate the event. “Until the pump gets re-primed, the game has been set aside for the moment.”

Jim Calhoun Celebrity Classic has been canceled
Sorry to hear this. That game was a blast. A very "UConn" event with the accessibility of everyone. Talked with Joe D after he lost the play by play gig. He was very forthcoming. My daughter and I sat and talked with Kara Wolters. She is warm, funny and insightful. It is like a family reunion. I hope it finds its legs again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It sounds like we need more NBA talent to make this viable again. No pressure, Bouknight, Akok, Jackson...
Yup.

And, let’s face it — some of the older stars were getting a bit ... well, old.

“Time doesn’t wait for anybody. I find that out when I try to ride my bike,” Calhoun said. “Some of the guys are getting older, they don’t play anymore. Everyone talks about having a great matchup between Ray and Rip ... yeah, maybe not. Maybe on the golf course.”

Gold and other event organizers are confident that Dan Hurley will help pump that new enthusiasm into the program to attract a new generation of players to attend the event. Until then, the game will be on hiatus.

“Hopefully, Danny can get some of the guys back and maybe do it again,” Calhoun said. “That era that we had with those players, it was great. There are other ways to get it done. The golf tournament was filling up again. We make the majority of our money at the golf tournament.”

Reaction Score
To be honest you see one of these you’ve seen them all. When it was a novelty is was really popular and neat. Now that the biggest names are in their 40’s and folks have seen this a couple times it’s no surprise that demand fell off so sharply.

Reaction Score
To be honest you see one of these you’ve seen them all. When it was a novelty is was really popular and neat. Now that the biggest names are in their 40’s and folks have seen this a couple times it’s no surprise that demand fell off so sharply.
I agree with you on this scotty0330. I went to the first 3 or so but then lost interest. There was a traffic jam at the first event getting on the Mohegan Sun road. I also went to the Ray Allen event in Hartford back in the 90's. I thought that Pippen was there and I just googled it but did not see his name. Wasn't he there and didn't he injure himself?

Reaction Score
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I will miss this event. Ive been to every game since 2004 and would look forward to it every time. The game was every two years so It did not feel like it was over done, and for me, it never gets old seeing those guys on the court. I noticed the crowds were not as big compared to when I first started going, but I think that also had something to do with the event moving to Friday night instead of Saturday.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yeah its a shame with the history of the program that in the last 5-7 years, Uconn hasn't produced one marquee level player who people would want to see. I do like the idea of a panel with Q & A. They kinda did it last year with the Road Show but it was limited spacing I think.

Reaction Score
The event had it's run. A really unique run that, if you were part of and attending the earlier ones? Was something special. Truth is, Jim Calhoun has been gone a while. Hurley has no connection to the Calhoun era. And the NBA pipeline, which was once flowing mightily, has all but dried up right now. Makes no sense to trot this out there in front of much lesser crowds and no panache of current NBA talent.

That said? I know firsthand that, at one point early on, there were discussions of a UConn alumni vs Duke alumni charity game (both Nike schools) and Duke couldn't get the players to commit. So, that says a lot about the family and love for the school that players had for Jim Calhoun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom