Jim Boeheim unleashes NIL tirade | The Boneyard

Jim Boeheim unleashes NIL tirade

Reaction Score
Not what you would think this is about. It's obvious he's lost his fastball.

“One thing I’ve always heard on radio shows is the university needs to spend more money on recruiting,” he said, calling into the radio show. “The university needs to spend more money on facilities. This has been for 20 years we’ve heard this talk. Well, now’s your chance. This is your chance to help recruiting, but NIL is nothing but colleges collecting money and arranging deals for players through their collectives.

“We have a foundation, but it’s the same basic thing. Ours is a foundation, 315 Foundation, which is tax-deductible money. You can get your tax deductible.”

New York does not have a state NIL law — Senate Bill S5891F has passed both the assembly and senate — meaning the NCAA’s interim policy is the law of the land. The NCAA clearly prohibits boosters and collectives from getting involved in the recruiting process, which was outlined in May’s guidance.

Yes, Syracuse does have a foundation. But the 315 Foundation has yet to launch — it’s hoping to have a website up in September. Founded by Mike Bristol and Tony DeSorbo, the long-term hope for the collective is to be able to endow positions at Syracuse. The last thing the two founders have set out to do is reel in top-ranked recruits through NIL incentives.

“We have absolutely nothing to do with recruiting,” Bristol said. “And obviously want to be crystal clear about that.”

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Funny timing. Three Man Weave on their podcast yesterday was talking about coaches and NIL and maybe who'd be the next to retire and Boeheim's name came up for obvious age and kids are gone reasons. They all thought he'd be the late retiree who forces the colleges hand type (ala Calhoun or Bo Ryan). Not the year-long retirement tour type like K. I wonder if he just randomly retires next month.

Reaction Score
I'm confused by Boeheim's statement. Is he asking the fans to donate. And claiming you can deduct the $$ you donate? If that's what he's saying, he sounds desperate.

Also, doesn't read like a tirade. It's just unclear what he's saying

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm confused by Boeheim's statement. Is he asking the fans to donate. And claiming you can deduct the $$ you donate? If that's what he's saying, he sounds desperate.

Yes, that is what the article says. But he doesn't understand the NIL rules in NY and the fact that the organization he wants people to donate to is saying that they are not involved in recruiting at all. So Boeheim sounds like he's losing it. Which could be the case.

And I agree it's not really a rant per se, but more like the rantings of a lunatic.

Reaction Score
Yes, that is what the article says. But he doesn't understand the NIL rules in NY and the fact that the organization he wants people to donate to is saying that they are not involved in recruiting at all. So Boeheim sounds like he's losing it. Which could be the case.

And I agree it's not really a rant per se, but more like the rantings of a lunatic.
Agreed. Seems a bit confused.

Reaction Score

That’s what years of playing a zone defense does to your brain

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This makes it much more funny/sad.

Piecing this together, the 315 foundation, which hasn't been launched yet, will not distribute funds to players providing them $$$ similar to a NIL would?

And JB was promoting that?

Ouch.

Reaction Score

I’ll donate a box of Kleenex.

Reaction Score

Well even if that organization does intend to be involved in recruiting doesn't that have to be their official stance? NCAA rules say you can't pay a kid NIL money to attend a certain school, so I just read that comment as a tongue in cheek, we're not involved in recruiting at all comment

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think he wants Cuse to step up their NIL activities, that's how I read it. Probably has to walk on ice for the school, or maybe after so many years he still feels as if he has to walk on ice with the NCAA.

The good ole days are over for everyone

Reaction Score
Not what you would think this is about. It's obvious he's lost his fastball.

“One thing I’ve always heard on radio shows is the university needs to spend more money on recruiting,” he said, calling into the radio show. “The university needs to spend more money on facilities. This has been for 20 years we’ve heard this talk. Well, now’s your chance. This is your chance to help recruiting, but NIL is nothing but colleges collecting money and arranging deals for players through their collectives.

“We have a foundation, but it’s the same basic thing. Ours is a foundation, 315 Foundation, which is tax-deductible money. You can get your tax deductible.”

New York does not have a state NIL law — Senate Bill S5891F has passed both the assembly and senate — meaning the NCAA’s interim policy is the law of the land. The NCAA clearly prohibits boosters and collectives from getting involved in the recruiting process, which was outlined in May’s guidance.

Yes, Syracuse does have a foundation. But the 315 Foundation has yet to launch — it’s hoping to have a website up in September. Founded by Mike Bristol and Tony DeSorbo, the long-term hope for the collective is to be able to endow positions at Syracuse. The last thing the two founders have set out to do is reel in top-ranked recruits through NIL incentives.

“We have absolutely nothing to do with recruiting,” Bristol said. “And obviously want to be crystal clear about that.”

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
Please get a shovel and throw some dirt on this guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom