OT: - Jill Ellis to step down from USWNT after Victory tour | The Boneyard

OT: Jill Ellis to step down from USWNT after Victory tour

Reaction Score
I think this will make the majority of serious U.S. women's soccer fans happy. Hopefully they make a good choice on her successor. I imagine Steve Swanson will get some consideration. Also Laura Harvey.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wouldn't have minded her waiting til after the Olympics, but 2 cycles is long enough for any coach. She goes out on top. May not have agreed with all her decisions, but she's got 2 back to back WC's. Ain't nobody beat that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The first "friendly" of the post Jill-Ellis era is being played tonight against Sweden (5th ranked). 7:30PM

Unfortunately, forecasts for Columbus Ohio call for temperatures dropping into the 20s by kickoff with the potential for rain, sleet, snow -- or all of the above.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the weather I have watched my kids play in. We would start the rec soccer season with temps in the 80's for games and by the time the season finished you needed a blanket, hot chocolate, and your winter coat when you watched the game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This team is not about the coach. It's about the players.

It's not like this is the UConn women's basketball team or Belichick's Patriots.

The players have to respect the coach, believe that he/she knows what they are doing, has technical expertise, great communication skills etc. That is alot and few can do it. From what they are saying, Vlatko sounds like he has the respect and admiration of many of the players etc.

Reaction Score
This team is not about the coach. It's about the players.

It's not like this is the UConn women's basketball team or Belichick's Patriots.

Coaching is ENORMOUSLY important in soccer. The quality of the head coach can make or break a team, even at this level.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US took a 3-0 lead in first half. Carli Lloyd was world class. Her 2nd goal was a Messi like chip over the goal keeper. Unfortunately, some bungled defensive lapses/miscommunication in 2nd half allowed Sweden to close to 3-2 but fell short. A defense first guy lake Vlatko must be pretty pissed.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I thought Press was the one that won tonight's game - though that 3rd goal I guess Lloyd saw that through and it was all her.

Sweden is really good though - they're agile and deft and I can see why they nearly made it to the final in the world cup.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I liked the way Vlatko had them playing considering he's only had them for a few days. He's going to probably need a better technically DM and much better FB's to make it work as well as it can though.

Reaction Score
I liked the way Vlatko had them playing considering he's only had them for a few days. He's going to probably need a better technically DM and much better FB's to make it work as well as it can though.

Yes, the FB situation never seems to be fully resolved. Presumably it would have been a little better had Dunn and O'Hara not been out with injuries - but the team clearly needs to see at least one young FB develop as a good player. After the Olympics, we may not see O'Hara again, given her age. Sonnett is young enough (Age 25) to continue to improve, but I'm not sure she will develop enough to be someone you want as a starter. Dunn is also young and has speed - but she has the defensive instincts of a midfielder or forward.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes, the FB situation never seems to be fully resolved. Presumably it would have been a little better had Dunn and O'Hara not been out with injuries - but the team clearly needs to see at least one young FB develop as a good player. After the Olympics, we may not see O'Hara again, given her age. Sonnett is young enough (Age 25) to continue to improve, but I'm not sure she will develop enough to be someone you want as a starter. Dunn is also young and has speed - but she has the defensive instincts of a midfielder or forward.

The best players always want to play offense and clearly think it is the most fun. This is probably heightened in the US. Helps explain the dichotomy between offense and defense in Basketball as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, I like Sonnet, but she's a CB. They have one FB they could use (Jaelene Hinkel), but Ellis (or the team) had frozen her out for her religious views. (One advantage of men's teams - they Although she doesn't seem to have any trouble playing on the NC Courage with many of the WNT players. Maybe Vlatko will give her another shot?? She's supposedly one of the best in the NWSL.

Reaction Score
Yes, I thought about mentioning her, but I have kind of assumed she was out of the picture for opposing gay marriage. Don't think she's been invited to any U.S. training camp since July 2018 despite arguably being the best left back in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom