Jerry says he horsed-around & showered | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jerry says he horsed-around & showered

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kib had posted information about the pensions involved earlier. Here is a report on Paterno's likely pension under PA law. http://espn.go.com/college-football...aterno-line-554000-annual-pension-report-says

$554,000 per year 100% of the average of his 3 highest years' average salary.

Helluva a pension. Not to be a cynic, but I don't know how much of that Joe will collect, given how long he might live. He's 84, and this sort of situation seems like it would lessen ones lifespan, what with stress involved and the removing of one of the most important thing in a person's life (one's purpose).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As for "making sure it stopped," I'd think he means he stood and looked long enough to see Sandusky back away. Have never quite accepted as very likely that the rape just continued when an observer showed up and made eye contact.

On the other hand, I don't see anything to the effect that he "stopped it" in an activist sense such as his emails might imply. He took no physical action, as he acknowledges, and there's no hint of stopping it in a take-charge way such as "Get the hell out of there, Jerry, and get dressed. What's your name son, and where do you live? I'm taking you there."

I agree... he gave him the "what are you doing in there" look.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My point was that when McQ says in an email that he did go to the police, I'm betting he means the campus police under the aegis of Schultz. And I'll add that I don't think that happened right away, but later on when the wagons were being circled.

I agree with this point and so do most who have tried to reconcile McQ's emails and the findings by the Grand Jury about what McQ did and whom he spoke to after witnessing the incident.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes. I linked it and discussed how the reporting responsibility passes up the chain of command with those below being relieved of the responsibility once they pass it higher. What I should have stated more clearly is that it's the ultimate mandated reporter in the chain who must report outside the university, not somebody like McQ who was the first rung on the intramural reporting ladder. OK, now I understand your point. I thought you were talking of all mandated reporters in the more generic sense. Absolutely, someone must report outside of the university system and if it wasn't under PA law, certainly, under the federal law.

My point was that when McQ says in an email that he did go to the police, I'm betting he means the campus police under the aegis of Schultz. And I'll add that I don't think that happened right away, but later on when the wagons were being circled. I agree with that assumption. My understanding from folks at PSU is the University Park Police do not function under the supervision of the State College town police. It is why I suggest that the PA State Police would be the best group to be designated.

You seemed to be saying that the campus police were good enough to report to, they have unusual authority etc. And I'm saying that, whoever the mandated reporter may be, there has to be an outside report where the law applies, and this case well illustrates the reason for that.Not unusual authority but usual or ordinary authority equivalent to other local police departments.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree with this point and so do most who have tried to reconcile McQ's emails and the findings by the Grand Jury about what McQ did and whom he spoke to after witnessing the incident.
Not sure what you mean here Cat by "most who have tried to reconcile ...", most speculating, most involved, most speaking with knowledge? Remember word has been released from within the investigation that McQ did do what he reported in the e-mails. It is no longer the e-mails that are the sole source of this information.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean here Cat by most, most speculating, most involved, most speaking with knowledge? Remember word has been released from within the investigation that McQ did do what he reported in the e-mails. It is no longer the e-mails that are the sole source of this information.

I mean people, including lawyers, who have discussed it on tv. There was some question about whether McQ's emails were inconsistent with the findings of the GJ and those familiar with both say no. He says the incident stopped before he left and he says he spoke with police and I agree with JS that he's referring to the university police under the auspices of Schultz. The GJ report found that no university police interviewed McQ and there was no other investigation. His emails are interesting but let's not think they somehow represent new information not considered by the GJ based on an investigation and sworn testimony.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I mean people, including lawyers, who have discussed it on tv. There was some question about whether McQ's emails were inconsistent with the findings of the GJ and those familiar with both say no. He says the incident stopped before he left and he says he spoke with police and I agree with JS that he's referring to the university police under the auspices of Schultz. The GJ report found that no university police interviewed McQ and there was no other investigation. His emails are interesting but let's not think they somehow represent new information not considered by the GJ based on an investigation and sworn testimony.
Thanks I just needed clarity.

I fully agree the emails are not important in themselves at all since they can be purely self serving more significant is information from within the investigation confirming aspects about them.

I am heading to a PSU men's hoops game tonight and will be with some folks from the university, one connected to the Athletic Department.

JS

Reaction Score
I am heading to a PSU men's hoops game tonight and will be with some folks from the university, one connected to the Athletic Department.
Tell them we're with 'em.

Hard as the majority of the hounds on this board have been baying on the trail of the Penn State officialdom and coachdom, the cumulative arguments of the unsilent minority have finally sunk in with me. In a dream last night the truth finally came. So to make amends for my prior attitude on the case, I’ll share it with the board.

Jerry Sandusky was and is a prince among men, tirelessly devoting his time and energy to expanding the world of underprivileged youth. He developed such a rapport with the kids that others, such as their parents, occasionally grew jealous and provoked misunderstandings like occurred in 1998. That matter was thoroughly investigated and it was concluded that Sandusky had behaved even better than he claimed.

The prosecutor at the time was so embarrassed by even having looked into the activities of the sainted Sandusky that he decided to dispose of the evidence of his disgraceful suspicions. He threw his computer and its hard drive separately into the river and then disposed of himself even more thoroughly.

For his part, Sandusky, though he was Joe Pa’s heir apparent, decided to retire at age 55 to spend more time with the boys. But still the jealous critics would not be stilled.

Fortunately they never got hold of the snoopy janitors, who couldn’t seem to fathom anyone else’s efforts to promote cleanliness and hygiene in the showers.

But then in 2002 some drunken graduate assistant coach wandered into the locker room in the evening, where he shouldn’t have been, and heard the sounds of those janitors slapping their mops around. The sound conjured up a hallucinatory vision of Sandusky and a boy, possibly triggered by the provocative title of Sandusky’s autobiography Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story, published the preceding year.

Having sobered up but still haunted by his hallucination, the grad assistant went the next morning to see Joe Pa. Joe told him he was reporting to the wrong guy, and stopped him before he could waste his time talking about what he thought he’d seen. “I’ll handle this,” said Joe. “Wail 'til you're called. You must give your report to the proper person.”

Joe then summoned his boss to his home (being one of the few people who can summon their bosses when they wish). “Curley,” Joe said, “Jerry may have been horsing around again. Do your duty, and although it’d be very nice if this didn’t get out to hurt our football program . . . and the University, of course . . . I want you and Schultz to pursue it to the full extent. Let the chips fall where they may, within the University walls.”

So Curley and Schultz investigated, interviewed the grad assistant and left no stone unturned. They eventually concluded that nothing had happened at all. So there it sat. But the prosecutorial hounds would not stop baying, and now they’ve brought false charges based on the scanty evidence of alleged assaults on only 20 or so boys, and they've quibbled about the conscientious investigation by PSU in which the files are so blank that they prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that nothing happened.

Since then those so willing to condemn the PSU officialdom have been acting like Nazis and genocidal African tribes. Thankfully, students have rioted on campus in a counter-display of violence aimed at protecting the innocent football program and its iconic, but fired, head coach. Well, we have to keep our priorities straight, do we not?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hard as the majority of the hounds on this board have been baying on the trail of the Penn State officialdom and coachdom, the cumulative arguments of the unsilent minority have finally sunk in with me. In a dream last night the truth finally came. So to make amends for my prior attitude on the case, I’ll share it with the board.

Since then those so willing to condemn the PSU officialdom have been acting like Nazis and genocidal African tribes. Thankfully, students have rioted on campus in a counter-display of violence aimed at protecting the innocent football program and its iconic, but fired, head coach. Well, we have to keep our priorities straight, do we not?

Some of us just don't want all and sundry to be cut down in an overzealous attempt to clean house. eg There are plenty of people in the AD who likely had no clue. I'm still unsure who did what at this point, but I do know that there was a large amount of diddling going on. And definitely a significant cover up with a good number of 'officials' involved. There were also a bunch of bystanders who did nothing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

To get out from under this Sandusky's defense will likely have to be at least that creative.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
New, lengthy article from the NY Times with some interesting information and worth reading.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/s...sandusky-investigators.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I've been wondering how it was that investigators in 2008-2009 learned about McQueary witnessing the assault in 2002 as it seemed pretty clear to me that investigators came to him rather than McQ going to them. Well, now we know. According to the NY Times story, there were posts on a Penn State athletic message board about an assistant coach witnessing something ugly but keeping silent about it. By the time investigators were told of this information they had already concluded that Sandusky was a "serial molester." Investigators eventually honed in on McQ as the asst coach who had seen something and eventually met up with him in an out-of-the-way parking lot on campus. It was there where McQ told investigators everything he had seen in the shower in 2002 and what he did afterwards.

PSU's counsel, Wendell Courtney, was never told about the 2002 incident and claims he would have been obligated to report it. Investigators are very suspicious about claims that other high ranking officials at PSU were unaware of the 1998 incident. (“You have to understand those statements in context — there is nothing that happens at State College that Joe Paterno doesn’t know, or that Graham Spanier doesn’t know,” one person involved in the investigation said. “Whether or not a criminal case went forward, there were ample grounds for an administrative inquiry into this matter. I have no evidence that was ever done. And if indeed that report was never passed up, it makes you wonder why not.”)

Some important records of The Second Mile are missing for the years 2000-2003 which was surprising to some at the charity when they attempted to retrieve them. The investigators were interested in records of Sandusky's expenses, travel, etc., but much is missing for those years.

Investigators have reason to believe there were suspicions about Sandusky's inappropriate relationships with young boys both within and outside the PSU program, including among other coaches. (“This was not the secret that they are trying to make out now,” one person involved in the inquiry said. “I know there were a number of college coaches that had heard the rumors. If all these people knew about it, how could Sandusky’s superiors not know?”)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom