Jermaine Jones is a Rev | The Boneyard

Jermaine Jones is a Rev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Came down to a blind draw between NE and Chicago. Contract is worth 5 million for one and a half years or something like that.

Reaction Score
Good for him. Good for MLS. At 32 years old it's a good place for him to finish his career and play the game for another 3 or 4 years.

Reaction Score
Now all the Revs need is a soccer stadium to call home, which looks like 2024 right now :(

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just saw a piece on the Patriots training facilities this weekend. Not sure how new they are, but OMG. :eek: I wish Kraft would put in a 1/10 of that for the Revs.

Reaction Score
Just saw a piece on the Patriots training facilities this weekend. Not sure how new they are, but OMG. :eek: I wish Kraft would put in a 1/10 of that for the Revs.

Sad, the Revs went through a phase where they seemed like the most vibrant club in the league, but they have been surpassed by most if not all.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think that Jones will be a good fit for the Revs, but if I'm being honest, the team could have done more with the 5 million to boost their squad by getting multiple players. And as far as designated players go, 5 million probably could have bought them a better designated player as well...

Reaction Score
I think that Jones will be a good fit for the Revs, but if I'm being honest, the team could have done more with the 5 million to boost their squad by getting multiple players. And as far as designated players go, 5 million probably could have bought them a better designated player as well...

I disagree. The market in MLS has shifted dramatically with Dempsey and Bradley returning. Toronto is paying Bradley 6.5 mil a year to basically suck and not produce. They beat out a $40 Mil offer from SKC (thank god).

The bottom line is that the league has a boatload of cash and financially strong owners that are coming to grips with the fact they aren't going to be able to sign returning USMNT players for bargain basement prices anymore. Zusi and Besler don't look silly for not going to Europe, I think they look silly for reupping for such a paltry sum, because they are clearly worth more to the club than what they are being paid.

The CBA is really going to shift things. The salary cap is going to be aggressively adjusted. With clubs making money, the appetite to spend is going to shift upwards. You've got a surging NASL with no cap that will compete for the pack filler MLS vets as well. Withing 5 years time you're going to see the NASL become like the AFL was to the NFL.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You've got a surging NASL with no cap that will compete for the pack filler MLS vets as well. Withing 5 years time you're going to see the NASL become like the AFL was to the NFL.
Ah Relegation sounds so sweet.

Reaction Score
Ah Relegation sounds so sweet.

I don't know if it could work here, but at some point the strongest clubs in the NASL are going to get integrated like they have done with USL clubs like Seattle, Portland and Orlando.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know if it could work here, but at some point the strongest clubs in the NASL are going to get integrated like they have done with USL clubs like Seattle, Portland and Orlando.
Agreed. The relegation thing, is probably just a dream.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree, the fragile egos of very rich owners in MLS could not be able to come to grasp with regulation.

It's not that, it's the investment required for MLS. Nobody can make that investment if they can get kicked out of the league.

Jones was a great signing for the Revs, who have some great young talent but are very inconsistent. He should stabilize them, plays exactly the role they most need and will help the young guys learn what it takes to succeed. He's a perfect fit.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I disagree. The market in MLS has shifted dramatically with Dempsey and Bradley returning. Toronto is paying Bradley 6.5 mil a year to basically suck and not produce. They beat out a $40 Mil offer from SKC (thank god).

The bottom line is that the league has a boatload of cash and financially strong owners that are coming to grips with the fact they aren't going to be able to sign returning USMNT players for bargain basement prices anymore. Zusi and Besler don't look silly for not going to Europe, I think they look silly for reupping for such a paltry sum, because they are clearly worth more to the club than what they are being paid.

The CBA is really going to shift things. The salary cap is going to be aggressively adjusted. With clubs making money, the appetite to spend is going to shift upwards. You've got a surging NASL with no cap that will compete for the pack filler MLS vets as well. Withing 5 years time you're going to see the NASL become like the AFL was to the NFL.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. If I'm reading your comment correctly, you are supporting the idea that other teams have overpaid for USMNT players. If that's what you are trying to say, then I am agreeing with you. And the 5 mil would have been better elsewhere.

Let me give you a "for instance" as it pertains to the Revs. In the last two weeks, I got to see Barrett (Seattle) and Sene (NYRedBull) both score and play extremely well for their new clubs, even though they were both on the Revs roster recently. Sene looks particularly good. And I ask myself, "Why couldn't we keep our talent?" Well, the money is there, apparently. But I'm sure that Kraft is making the calculation that Jones will put more butts in the seats after a successful World Cup campaign than having Barrett, Sene, and an additional player for the same money...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. If I'm reading your comment correctly, you are supporting the idea that other teams have overpaid for USMNT players. If that's what you are trying to say, then I am agreeing with you. And the 5 mil would have been better elsewhere.

Let me give you a "for instance" as it pertains to the Revs. In the last two weeks, I got to see Barrett (Seattle) and Sene (NYRedBull) both score and play extremely well for their new clubs, even though they were both on the Revs roster recently. Sene looks particularly good. And I ask myself, "Why couldn't we keep our talent?" Well, the money is there, apparently. But I'm sure that Kraft is making the calculation that Jones will put more butts in the seats after a successful World Cup campaign than having Barrett, Sene, and an additional player for the same money...

They overpaid for Bradley. The others are more than worth the money. SKC kept Besler and Zusi for a steal. They won't even earn more than a million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom