2024 Recruiting: - Jeremiah Fears | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Jeremiah Fears

Reaction Score
Seems really late to be decommitting - kind of odd / seems like a red flag. Also doubt staff showed any real interest unless they loved his game in particular and felt like he’s better than current 2025 targets - no room for a combo guard this year

Reaction Score
Wow we’re first on the list and everything. i‘m gonna guess the chances we’re seriously recruiting him is somewhere around 0% and the chances he put us on the list because every player wants people to think we’re recruiting them around 100%.

Edit: so apparently that tweet is wrong and he’s 2025 so maybe we are recruiting him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMG_1296.jpeg

Reaction Score
Wow we’re first on the list and everything. i‘m gonna guess the chances we’re seriously recruiting him is somewhere around 0% and the chances he put us on the list because every player wants people to think we’re recruiting them around 100%.

Edit: so apparently that tweet is wrong and he’s 2025 so maybe we are recruiting him.

You weren’t wrong.

Any team taking a ‘24 who wants/deserves immediate minutes is in a very non-UConn situation.

The ‘24 thing, IF it happens, will severely limit his options but it all depends on what he values.

Reaction Score
You weren’t wrong.

Any team taking a ‘24 who wants/deserves immediate minutes is in a very non-UConn situation.

The ‘24 thing, IF it happens, will severely limit his options but it all depends on what he values.
Maybe he wants to redshirt next season. I’d take the red shirt and have a guy ready to go in 2025. Don’t see where he fits on this roster

Reaction Score
I'd like to see us land Meleek Thomas, don't want to screw that up, just sayin. Lots of moving parts, one year to the next, but still, Meleek Thomas jumps out as very, very good. Definitely want to see him in a UConn uniform. Haven't even seen Jeremiah Fears play, so what do I know, but you get my drift.

Reaction Score
Based on a podcast interview with him that I saw a week ago I'm surprised either side sees a fit. My impression is that he wanted a path to significant playing time. I don't see where that would come from unless he is a lot better than I understood.

pj

Reaction Score
Based on a podcast interview with him that I saw a week ago I'm surprised either side sees a fit. My impression is that he wanted a path to significant playing time. I don't see where that would come from unless he is a lot better than I understood.

Redshirting this year might be his best path to significant playing time in 2025. He'll surely develop more practicing at UConn than playing in high school. If the fit isn't there after 1 year, he can enter the portal, so it is fairly risk-free for both sides. Dan has mentioned how hard it is to find quality walk-ons to help with practices - a redshirt would provide a high-quality practice player.

Reaction Score
I buy that both sides would be interested. But I don't think what UConn would expect (redshirt and be ready for a role in 2025) would match up with what Fears will want (rotation minutes in 2024)

awy

Reaction Score
if he was willing to sit out a year he likely would not have decommitted. despite their demands/mentality not really being UConn fit some of the top recruits still seem to be interested. Don't really know what to make of it. Maybe he's willing to buy in and it'll be great, the staff will certainly make sure of it before committing to a player, but may also be a leverage play.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I'd like to see us land Meleek Thomas, don't want to screw that up, just sayin. Lots of moving parts, one year to the next, but still, Meleek Thomas jumps out as very, very good. Definitely want to see him in a UConn uniform. Haven't even seen Jeremiah Fears play, so what do I know, but you get my drift.
I'm in the camp of not needing to see Fears play to know I want Meleek more. That dude is electric and all the intangible stuff is a perfect fit for us.

If this prompts a quicker announcement from MT, then so be it.

Reaction Score
Seems really late to be decommitting - kind of odd / seems like a red flag. Also doubt staff showed any real interest unless they loved his game in particular and felt like he’s better than current 2025 targets - no room for a combo guard this year

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I watched all the Jeremiah Fears stuff that Sleepers put out and they talked about how his decommitment from Illinois made sense - after he committed they brought in Kylan Boswell, Jakucionis, and now they're recruiting Jasper Johnson. However the other stuff they talked about was concerning, like his families plan for him to be a one-and-done, etc.

On the other hand he is absolutely nasty. IMO he is better than our current PG targets and him and Meleek could absolutely be on the floor together. A backcourt combo of any of Aidan/Solo/Nowell/Fears/Thomas with us sometimes playing 3 guards would be so good but so crowded.

Reaction Score
Pre back-to-back we'd be all excited about adding a player of his caliber at this late stage. But I like who we have and as strange as this sounds, even if he's really good, I don't like the PT domimo effect it could cause with the current players.

All the way down the roster to even Ross, we have players worthy of playing time and an opportunity to develop into key pieces for another championship and keeping this high level of success going for years to come.

It's definitely a balancing act retaining very good players who need 2 to 3 years to develop, learn the system and adjust to the culture, while bringing in recruits who are, or think they are, more ready to contribute right away.

I think the staff did a great job of bringing in just the right number and level of talent while retaining all of the key returning players. I'm sure most if not all of them committed to coming or returning to UConn, believing they could develop their game and earn a growing amount of playing time. Alex will clearly get a lot of PT. Some like Stewart and Ball have a great chance to double or triple their PT. A player like Ross likely hopes to get similar PT this coming season that those two got last season. Then there's the pack returners and newcomers where Nowell and Abraham might be more ready to complete for PT than many of us thought, making a serious run at cutting into PT that Diarra, Ball, Mahaney and the highly ranked McNeeley are all battling for.

I didn't include Stewart because I think he's going to have a monster year on both ends of the floor. He not only held his own offensively late last season and throughout the tournaments, but he played some impressive defense.

I might be wrong, but I think there is going to be a lot of players that are capable of producing on the offensive end of the floor, but it will be their ability to guard their position and play solid team defense that will dictate who will earn more playing time then some of the others.

I think we have enough talent to make a run at a three-peat and want to see players as deep on the roster down to Ross get PT paving the way for more in the coming years. I don't want to have a revolving door roster where most leave after 1 to 2 years via the draft or portal. It will be interesting to see how Hurley and the staff continue to build the roster.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UConn: “The coach [Dan Hurley] was at our last few games and he said he likes my game. And I like the program. They won two national championships back-to-back. I love the way he coaches.”

We weren't at his Saturday game and his Sunday game we were most likely there for Darius Adams from PSA, despite Hurley giving him the what's up after the game or whatever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom