Jere Longman- The Country's Best Sports Writer | The Boneyard

Jere Longman- The Country's Best Sports Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is not really meant to be about the passing of Pat Summitt, but to point out the wonderful, beautiful prose of America's best sports writer (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/sports/ncaabasketball/pat-summitt-obituary.html). It's amazing that Jere (pronounced "Juree") Longman can be such an amazing writer, and be writing about sports. His prose is some of the best you'll encounter, whether in journalism or literature. Here's his beautiful opening sentence about Pat Summitt:

"Pat Summitt, who was at the forefront of a broad ascendance of women’s sports, winning eight national basketball championships at the University of Tennessee and more games than any other Division I college coach, male or female, died on Tuesday. She was 64."

"..at the forefront of a broad ascendence..." Vintage Jere Longman.

I used to read Longman's articles to my children when they were young as examples of fine writing. He has often written about women's sports, though sporadically.

He's well worth following, and his prose is a joy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know if Jere is the best, but he's really, really good. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A good article. Longman is mostly succinct and eschews the purpled phrasing enjoyed by some. I liked most his clear eyed views of a complex woman and maverick trailblazer who will remain the first. Who will always be beloved. Who will always be the Queen of basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom