Jeff Mittie K-State coach | The Boneyard

Jeff Mittie K-State coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coached at TCU in the early 2000's. Was coaching at TCU when they played UConn in March of 2003. 2nd round action @ Storrs. Tough game for UConn. Trailed at the half 33-35. In the second half DT put the team on her back and UConn won 81-65. K-State could be a tough game-good coach. They have good size, 6.5, 6.4,6.3. Do they have the speed. GO HUSKIES.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Coached at TCU in the early 2000's. Was coaching at TCU when they played UConn in March of 2003. 2nd round action @ Storrs. Tough game for UConn. Trailed at the half 33-35. In the second half DT put the team on her back and UConn won 81-65. K-State could be a tough game-good coach. They have good size, 6.5, 6.4,6.3. Do they have the speed. GO HUSKIES.

I remember that game as a student. TCU had a decently large crowd that game and kept making this 2 finger hook gesture (like making 'air quotes') throughout play... I assume it was their thing. After the game a friend of mine and I copied the gesture all the way out of Gampel repeating "the frogs are dead!"

P.S. I also was that student in the husky mask waving around the "Marry me Diana" sign every home game that year. That gave DT a few laughs that season, enough for her to even confront me in our STATS lab. But it paid off...after that title run at the homecoming event at Gampel she literally parted the crowd of fans wanting signatures like a new age Moses and came up to me first :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

As tough as K-State may be at home, No pavilion or arena is as tough, or hard to play in as "Purcell Arena" (Notre Dame). All other venues pale in comparison. The hate and vitriol those fans have for the UConn is off the charts. Aside from Tennessee Nation, I don't think any fan base hates us more than Notre Dame does. :mad:

Reaction Score
As tough as K-State may be at home, No pavilion or arena is as tough, or hard to play in as "Purcell Arena" (Notre Dame). All other venues pale in comparison. The hate and vitriol those fans have for the UConn is off the charts. Aside from Tennessee Nation, I don't think any fan base hates us more than Notre Dame does. :mad:

It's so GREAT and FUN to come to Purcell Arena and beat ND by 11 point!!!! One team against them all, GREEN and GOLD!!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Yup. Green is the new orange.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
KSU always seems to have a respectable team. You have to give the fans credit for selling out the arena for the Uconn game. In this respect, UCONN is "good" for the women's game!

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's so GREAT and FUN to come to Purcell Arena and beat ND by 11 point!!!! One team against them all, GREEN and GOLD!!!

ANYTIME you can beat Notre Dame anywhere, it's exciting and fulfilling. You know their team and fan base hates your guts. On a 30 game schedule, if ND had to go 1-29, and they could only win 1 game, and UConn was on that schedule, who do YOU think they would choose? A win over UConn BIG or small, would make their season. I did a little checking. The last time UConn lost to ND was when the BIG 3 were freshmen 3 times that year.

The last game on March 12, 2013. As we all remember, UConn beat ND in the final 4 semi-final round on April 7 en route to their 8th NC. Saniya Chong did not join the team until that summer. That means, she does not know what it's like to lose to ND. Neither does anyone else on this roster. Sometimes life can be wonderful. Unless they meet again in tournament, and ND wins, it will stay that way. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
KSU always seems to have a respectable team. You have to give the fans credit for selling out the arena for the Uconn game. In this respect, UCONN is "good" for the women's game!

ANYTIME the #1 team in the country comes to your arena/venue, it should be a sellout. It's interesting and sad that UConn does not sell out on the road during conference play.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to watch their team get blown out.

Striper69, you're right!! I didn't think of that. :eek: I'm so use to being on this side of those blowouts, I forgot that UConn's opponents have to deal with the pain and emotional let down, along with the recovery and regrouping that takes place after a UConn 40 point blowout. When you lose by 40+, (especially at home), it's a very humbling experience. :(

Reaction Score
Striper69, you're right!! I didn't think of that. :eek: I'm so use to being on this side of those blowouts, I forgot that UConn's opponents have to deal with the pain and emotional let down, along with the recovery and regrouping that takes place after a UConn 40 point blowout. When you lose by 40+, (especially at home), it's a very humbling experience. :(

In conference play it's a given that UCONN will blow out most teams. Very few have been capable of even staying in the game for one half. People know what's coming.

Reaction Score

ND and entitlement, the Irish brand spread far and wide. The tiny problem separating South Bend from world domination is the Geno brain-trust that refuses to lie down for Muffet's relentless public-relations campaign for her team and selected All Americans. But I loved Stewie's 2013 response to losing the first three to McGraw and Diggins, the clenched-teeth "Mph!" that preceded Brianna's 29-point outbreak in the semi-final. And Wednesday night's triumph at Purcell also silenced some green-clad fans, who are reluctant to accept the hard news that these new Huskies ain't patsies.

Reaction Score
There is nothing better than to shut up an obnoxious crowd by totally out playing them at their home venue or at a neutral site where other fans that hate you are in big numbers!
Watching Diggins stamp her foot repeatedly in anger and frustration after losing to UCONN was wonderful!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I suspect that there may be a handful of Husky fans at the game today in Manhattan, KS. They will be really difficult to spot until the end of the game when they will be the only ones left watching.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
ANYTIME you can beat Notre Dame anywhere, it's exciting and fulfilling. You know their team and fan base hates your guts. On a 30 game schedule, if ND had to go 1-29, and they could only win 1 game, and UConn was on that schedule, who do YOU think they would choose? A win over UConn BIG or small, would make their season. I did a little checking. The last time UConn lost to ND was when the BIG 3 were freshmen 3 times that year.

The last game on March 12, 2013. As we all remember, UConn beat ND in the final 4 semi-final round on April 7 en route to their 8th NC. Saniya Chong did not join the team until that summer. That means, she does not know what it's like to lose to ND. Neither does anyone else on this roster. Sometimes life can be wonderful. Unless they meet again in tournament, and ND wins, it will stay that way. :)
Hey Carnac - I know this is a KState thread, but your reminder that ND beat UConn 3 times in one season (2012-13) magnifies the psychological problems MM has with Geno and UConn. MM and her team whooped UConn 3 times and they knew they were the better team. Somehow Geno's prep for March method overcame those 3 losses. (I am not a firm believer in-- you can't beat a team 3 or 4 times in a row)
Anyway, that ND loss was the inception of the mental problems for MM and ND. IMHO those mental problems continue today!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hey Carnac - I know this is a KState thread, but your reminder that ND beat UConn 3 times in one season (2012-13) magnifies the psychological problems MM has with Geno and UConn. MM and her team whooped UConn 3 times and they knew they were the better team. Somehow Geno's prep for March method overcame those 3 losses. (I am not a firm believer in-- you can't beat a team 3 or 4 times in a row)
Anyway, that ND loss was the inception of the mental problems for MM and ND. IMHO those mental problems continue today!
Those 3 ND victories during the 2012-13 season were all nail-biters. They also spanned a season when Stewie transformed herself from an inconsistent freshman into a burgeoning superstar. By the end of the season UConn was the superior team, although that didn't make MM feel any better about getting whipped by the Huskies in the national semifinals.

Carnac

Reaction Score
ND and entitlement, the Irish brand spread far and wide. The tiny problem separating South Bend from world domination is the Geno brain-trust that refuses to lie down for Muffet's relentless public-relations campaign for her team and selected All Americans. But I loved Stewie's 2013 response to losing the first three to McGraw and Diggins, the clenched-teeth "Mph!" that preceded Brianna's 29-point outbreak in the semi-final. And Wednesday night's triumph at Purcell also silenced some green-clad fans, who are reluctant to accept the hard news that these new Huskies ain't patsies.

No they ain't!!!!!!! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That TCU team did give us a tough game. Their lineup included Sandora Irvin.

Carnac

Reaction Score
There is nothing better than to shut up an obnoxious crowd by totally out playing them at their home venue or at a neutral site where other fans that hate you are in big numbers!
Watching Diggins stamp her foot repeatedly in anger and frustration after losing to UCONN was wonderful!

I completely agree with you. I too am guilty of harboring a severe case of "schadenfreude" here. With all of the superlatives that Diggins uses when reflecting back on her athletic career at ND, noting all of the relationships she made, life lessons learned, not to mention the peerless education she received, the one stain or blot during on her Notre Dame career, was that she ever won a national championship.

Yes, she did beat their arch rival UConn several times, but never for a national championship. Her anger and frustration clearly came across during media interviews. No doubt she wanted that more than anything else. When another team rips your heart out year after year, it hurts. It's something you never get over, and never forget. She has witnessed Notre Dames losses to UConn on the floor, and from the stands. Until ND wins a NC, UConn will ALWAYS be their biggest nemesis, and the elephant in the room.

Reaction Score
I completely agree with you. I too am guilty of harboring a severe case of "schadenfreude" here. With all of the superlatives that Diggins uses when reflecting back on her athletic career at ND, noting all of the relationships she made, life lessons learned, not to mention the peerless education she received, the one stain or blot during on her Notre Dame career, was that she ever won a national championship.

Yes, she did beat their arch rival UConn several times, but never for a national championship. Her anger and frustration clearly came across during media interviews. No doubt she wanted that more than anything else. When another team rips your heart out year after year, it hurts. It's something you never get over, and never forget. She has witnessed Notre Dames losses to UConn on the floor, and from the stands. Until ND wins a NC, UConn will ALWAYS be their biggest nemesis, and the elephant in the room.

Carnac- - - -Right on! What made those 7 out of 8 so frustrating, especially 3 in a row, was that except for maybe 1 or 2 times, (not in 3 i-a-r) did ND have the better team. UCONN was slap-happy because of the way refs called the games! The flops and other ridiculous calls that got the Husky girls gun shy and lowered their usual high confidence! No matter what they did it was a negative call! And usually late calls inside 2 minutes, to create a closer game! Like the moving screen call on Steph Dolson really late in the game. When NO OTHER MOVING SCREENS were called all game, and their are at least 10 moving screens in every Division I game. ND went down and scored a huge basket!
But I just can't help grinning every-time Diggins is on the TV spouting off as if she were the queen of the ball, and inventor of BB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom