Jeff Jacobs: UConn’s Benedict a portrait of calm | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn’s Benedict a portrait of calm

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Coming to a place like UConn, you don’t expect ‘hope’ to be part of what you’re dealing with when it comes to the postseason,” Benedict said. “It is an expectation that we should be going to the NCAA every year. There’s no way around that. Regardless of what people say about the (AAC) or anything else …

“That’s what we expect. That’s what we’ll get back to.”

So some jumped on a Calhoun quote and thought it said a lot about UConn's mindset in firing KO. I was a critical of that, but I couldn't help but wonder about this one. As long as this was properly communicated to Ollie that making the NCAAs was an expectation of the position, repeated failure to do so would meet "just cause" under the CBA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Finally some pro quo.

Will Jacobs follow this up with Benedict wasn’t a source for this story?

Reaction Score
Finally some pro quo.

Will Jacobs follow this up with Benedict wasn’t a source for this story?
I'm pretty sure the source for his original story was a donor

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the source for his original story was a donor

Which means Benedict played telephone.

It’s just funny. Speaks to the people we are talking about though. Minutes after the highlight of the season the machine was at work. But Benedict ‘agonized’. LOL.

Reaction Score
“Coming to a place like UConn, you don’t expect ‘hope’ to be part of what you’re dealing with when it comes to the postseason,” Benedict said. “It is an expectation that we should be going to the NCAA every year. There’s no way around that. Regardless of what people say about the (AAC) or anything else …

“That’s what we expect. That’s what we’ll get back to.”

So some jumped on a Calhoun quote and thought it said a lot about UConn's mindset in firing KO. I was a critical of that, but I couldn't help but wonder about this one. As long as this was properly communicated to Ollie that making the NCAAs was an expectation of the position, repeated failure to do so would meet "just cause" under the CBA.

LOL. No. "just cause" does no mean that your boss doesn't think you're doing a good enough job. If UConn wanted failure to win enough games to constitute "just cause" they needed to explicitly say that in the contract.

Reaction Score
LOL. No. "just cause" does no mean that your boss doesn't think you're doing a good enough job. If UConn wanted failure to win enough games to constitute "just cause" they needed to explicitly say that in the contract.
He's referring to the CBA and not the contract. I still don't think wins/losses matters in that context, but I'm not a lawyer

Reaction Score
He's referring to the CBA and not the contract. I still don't think wins/losses matters in that context, but I'm not a lawyer

The CBA -- applicable to all faculty -- will not contain a definition of cause that include failure to qualify for the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
some guy is a transparent panderer.
B241DB4A-42AB-4D77-9750-B87C32081086.gif

Reaction Score
The CBA -- applicable to all faculty -- will not contain a definition of cause that include failure to qualify for the NCAA tournament.
No but doesn't it have a job performance clause? That's going to be different for every position. Not trying to argue, just thinking out loud.

Reaction Score

WRONG. If it was brought up in his annual review and he didn't take step to improve they have just cause.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
If the a and the l were flipped around, that title would have a totally different meaning.

CL82

Reaction Score

Well let's see exactly what the CBA says:
upload_2018-5-24_15-52-36.png

That sure looks like you can let the employee know that via written evaluations that they are failing to meet satisfactory standards, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Well let's see exactly what the CBA says:
View attachment 31593
That sure looks like you can let the employee know that via written evaluations that they are failing to meet satisfactory standards, doesn't it?

"generally accepted." Not the arbitrary desires of their boss.

CL82

Reaction Score
"generally accepted." Not the arbitrary desires of their boss.
Great point, well except that "arbitrary desires of their boss" was the phrase that you threw into the conversation. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Great point, well except that "arbitrary desires of their boss" was the phrase that you threw into the conversation. :rolleyes:

That's exactly my point. Wanting to qualify for the tournament every year is the arbitrary desire of their boss. it is not a "generally accepted" reason for termination.

If you're going to roll eyes, please be smart enough not to do it because you can't understand what you're being told.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's exactly my point. Wanting to qualify for the tournament every year is the arbitrary desire of their boss. it is not a "generally accepted" reason for termination.

If you're going to roll eyes, please be smart enough not to do it because you can't understand what you're being told.
Okay, let's do this the slow way. Can standards be different at UConn than say the average DI school?

(And relax counselor, no need to get your panties in bunch.)

Reaction Score
Okay, let's do this the slow way. Can standards be different at UConn than say the average DI school?

(And relax counselor, no need to get your panties in bunch.)

I think to read that provision the way you seem inclined to do would require that failing to make the NCAA tournament be generally accepted among athletic directors as furnishing "cause" to terminate a coach. That not being the case, I think you're wrong.

Reaction Score
What do 37.10 and 37.11 say? If they say sucking is cause then we might have something. Otherwise, Biz and BigErn are right and not being good now and then isn’t cause. Given the 2014 title and the NCAA appearance two seasons later, I would say his performance was still above average when viewed as a total body of work.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A huge relief to the Humanities department.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think to read that provision the way you seem inclined to do would require that failing to make the NCAA tournament be generally accepted among athletic directors as furnishing "cause" to terminate a coach. That not being the case, I think you're wrong.
That would be a reach. Failing to make it two years in a row, at a blue blood program with a warning after the first year would be less of one. Having a losing record two years row, particularly after a documented warning not much of a reach at all.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom