Jeff Jacobs: Teaching process continues for Edsall, UConn | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Teaching process continues for Edsall, UConn

Reaction Score
Those Mensah comments after one game were rough.

When an offensive player who missed the Spring Game and runs for 3yds per carry starts ripping the D for looking frustrated after getting torched by one of the top QB's in the country he's either overcompensating or grandstanding. I'll bet there's a few guys who'd like to take his head off right about now. I don't get how people on this board think this was anything other than self-serving BS. Lead by example, not shooting down your teammates.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
“Nowadays kids don’t communicate as much,” Edsall said. “They text and do all that stuff.”

This is a fair concern with Edsall...stop talking about how kids are different than when he last coached at UConn. Don’t blame social media (again). Figure out how to work with kids today and stop with the “get off of my lawn!” Comments. Otherwise it will feel like the game has passed him by.

Like the freshman cornerbacks, RE is also learning on the job. I have confidence both will get there, but it’s going to be a rough start.

Reaction Score
I think Mensah’s point was the game was not out of reach at various critical times when if someone made a play the complexion of the game may have shifted. I think him speaking out is leadership. He’s tweaking his teammates to get off their rearends and get some pride and fire in the belly.

It’s very common (and destructive) for there to be a split between O and D on a team, especially when one side feels like it’s holding up its end and the other isn’t. That won’t change until the D starts helping the O with turnovers and critical stops. At the center of this is the need to get rid of a DC that has zero credibility left (fair or unfair). The kids are not going to march into battle to get torched week after week. They stop believing. Crocker has 3 - 4 games to get something moving in a major way, otherwise forget winning these kids over.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The results have been piss poor for too long to jump on people who get angry about it. If Mensah is backing up his words with action and support for his teammates then there isn't a problem.

Reaction Score
When an offensive player who missed the Spring Game and runs for 3yds per carry starts ripping the D for looking frustrated after getting torched by one of the top QB's in the country he's either overcompensating or grandstanding. I'll bet there's a few guys who'd like to take his head off right about now. I don't get how people on this board think this was anything other than self-serving BS. Lead by example, not shooting down your teammates.
Agreed. Almost cause for a blanket party. I have to think Randy has had a talk with this dude. Some comments are for the locker room, some are for the press.

Reaction Score
Can someone cut n paste the Mensah comments ? Heard about them on 2 different threads. But no quotes

Reaction Score
Can someone cut n paste the Mensah comments ? Heard about them on 2 different threads. But no quotes
They're in that article above. Open in incognito tab.

Reaction Score
Mensah, emotions still raw from the 39-point pounding, was not nearly as measured.

“When the defense let up points, they just had their heads down,” Mensah told reporters. “Everyone was not saying, ‘Hey, we got it. We’re still in this game.’ It was just a different vibe and I didn’t like it.”

Mensah also said, “I don’t think a lot of people are bought in right now. I don’t think they’re really involved in us coming together. I don’t think some of the people buy into what coach Edsall was saying. If we’re not all together, that’s the result you’re going to see out there.”

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with what Mensah said if that was happening but he should have said it too the team in private

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom