Jeff Jacobs on the Geno - Deadspin article | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs on the Geno - Deadspin article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In other words, Jeff thinks Geno was simply real with Pat Jordan and Jordan was simply real as in frank with the article.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"That's three absolute denials. . . ."

I wonder if somewhere a rooster crowed. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is Geno's description of the male coach really one Jim Calhoun would disagree with vis a vis himself?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Again, the coaches are ones he's described as competing with. Unless Jordan deliberately tried to cloud the matter, it appears the place to look is elsewhere than Calhoun, and I would suspect also with PHS because of her condition.

The more troubling aspect was what he said about cutting out members of the press who "don't behave." But the question here is what misbehaving means. If it means anyone who asks tough questions (which I doubt), than that's bad; but if it means that he cuts out a Ken Krayeske (of Calhoun fame) or some one who deliberately distorts remarks or tries to create some clueless racial controversies, sure, cut him off. He is under no obligation to play along with hack journalists' agendas.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Again, the coaches are ones he's described as competing with. Unless Jordan deliberately tried to cloud the matter, it appears the place to look is elsewhere than Calhoun, and I would suspect also with PHS because of her condition.

The more troubling aspect was what he said about cutting out members of the press who "don't behave." But the question here is what misbehaving means. If it means anyone who asks tough questions (which I doubt), than that's bad; but if it means that he cuts out a Ken Krayeske (of Calhoun fame) or some one who deliberately distorts remarks or tries to create some clueless racial controversies, sure, cut him off. He is under no obligation to play along with hack journalists' agendas.

Except that Jeff makes it clear that that isn't true and Geno, also, denies it. It was probably something said in sarcasm that was misundertood.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
My instinct is telling me that Calhoun and Summit are too obvious. Geno could very well have "feuds" with other coaches just because of the perceived idea that he is arrogant.

Reaction Score
Except that Jeff makes it clear that that isn't true and Geno, also, denies it. It was probably something said in sarcasm that was misundertood.

This is what I suspect. It is always dangerous when someone with limited knowledge interviews Geno. That's the danger of sarcasm, it takes knowledge to discern the truth. It it also important to know the question that was actually asked.

The two comments are something Geno would say about his friends perhaps even more than enemies. The first comment could just as easily be Geno defending himself about comments he's made about the way Sherri Coale looks and dresses over the years. The second could easily be something Geno would say about Harry Perretta, and isn't that far off previous comments. The question is what the writer really meant by "feuding." If the comments weren't about Summitt and Calhoun, and I think Geno probably knows better than to go there with an unfamiliar reporter then this makes more sense to me.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
"That's three absolute denials. . . ."

I wonder if somewhere a rooster crowed. ;)

- Is that the story which includes the guy who befriends a great man, and then for a little money, knowingly harms him by sharing more than he must?
-Not very hard to do. You could even say he was just being frank. Yeah, that's the ticket.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's a very old story and to my knowledge there was no money involved.

"before the cock crows three time . . . . "

The Icebear knows - as well he should.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
good article. i still can't believe Geno swore as much as he did with a writer. someone in another thread said "that's how men talk". really? maybe in a fraternity, or out drinking with the "boys", but try talking like that at work, in church, in front of your wife/kids, at a party, or any public place. totally unacceptable.

That's how ignorant people talk, and i know Geno is not ignorant. he's a 7-time NCAA champ and our Olympic coach. let's hope he uses better judgment in the future. i 'd HATE to see an article like that in London.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
good article. i still can't believe Geno swore as much as he did with a writer. someone in another thread said "that's how men talk". really? maybe in a fraternity, or out drinking with the "boys", but try talking like that at work, in church, in front of your wife/kids, at a party, or any public place. totally unacceptable.
Well I'm pretty sure Geno does talk like that at work (we've heard about his salty language in practices and games). And he was pretty much was "out with the boys" when he was talking with Jordan. He wasn't in church or in front of wives/kids, at a party or in public.

That's how ignorant people talk,
I know a lot of very, very intelligent people who swear....even at work.

Reaction Score

That's how ignorant people talk, and i know Geno is not ignorant. he's a 7-time NCAA champ and our Olympic coach. let's hope he uses better judgment in the future. i 'd HATE to see an article like that in London.
The existing swear words are so commonly heard these days, that they have lost their impact. New ones need to be invented or else our ability to shock will be lost.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
"that's how men talk". really?....totally unacceptable...That's how ignorant people talk...

- I simply won’t allow myself to be prejudiced by such a judgmental attitude!
-Here on the East Coast, we try to remain open-minded, tolerant, and respectful of cultural differences!

Shocked Shocked.jpg

-"How can 'Yarders turn on me, again? On what grounds?"
-"I am shocked! Shocked, to hear there is profanity in this workplace!
-" Your winnings, Sir."
-"Oh, thank you very much! OK, now c'mon guys, get the #%@ out of here!"

;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It is clear that Geno's admiration of John Wooden does not extend to the matter of vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom