Jeff Jacobs on Mamadou Diarra | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs on Mamadou Diarra

Reaction Score
Very good article. Jacobs points out that the Uconn fan base may be overlooking Mamadou.

This is true I think. Mamadou Diarra is another potential key to our season. I submit that he is maybe the most defined 4 man we have in that he plays like a straight up power forward. I'm fairly certain he will continue in his starting role and provide Uconn with necessary power down low. The 4 is an interesting proposition for Uconn this year and we shall see some different players and some different looks being generated at this position, and I really like our ability to change the look of our lineup based on how we utilize the 4. Isaiah Whaley certainly looks very good and he as well as Larrier, Polley , Williams, and possibly Carlton will all see time here. However, I'm here to give props to Mamadou because his style of play will be vital to our success.

I do not know how to post the article. Maybe someone could hook that up.

Reaction Score
At first look, he seems to be able to finish down low in traffic. As his all round game comes into focus I think he may be one of best players.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Watching Mamadou, for only about the 2nd time this century, I see a glimmer of potential for another KFree. Both he and Kwintin have the right body to do it, and appear to have the determination as well. Kwintin is certainly more athletic, but Mamadou appears -- at least to my old eyes -- to have much more well developed basketball instincts.
Haven't seen enough yet to know what we have in Mamadou, but I have a feeling it's more than any of us were expecting. He seems to understand and appreciate the parts of the game that do not necessarily involve actually putting the ball in the hole more than most guys.

Reaction Score
According to Draft Express, in 2015 Diarra was 6'5 with a 7'2 wingspan, about the same size as Draymond Green. With that kind of size and his strength, he has the potential to be a force inside.

C

Chief00

Very good article. Jacobs points out that the Uconn fan base may be overlooking Mamadou.

This is true I think. Mamadou Diarra is another potential key to our season. I submit that he is maybe the most defined 4 man we have in that he plays like a straight up power forward. I'm fairly certain he will continue in his starting role and provide Uconn with necessary power down low. The 4 is an interesting proposition for Uconn this year and we shall see some different players and some different looks being generated at this position, and I really like our ability to change the look of our lineup based on how we utilize the 4. Isaiah Whaley certainly looks very good and he as well as Larrier, Polley , Williams, and possibly Carlton will all see time here. However, I'm here to give props to Mamadou because his style of play will be vital to our success.

While I am glad we have more serviceable depth than last season - I have NEVER been a fan of too many guys at the same position with similar talent or guys who are good at one thing but not another. Since you can only play one guy at a time that doesn’t really help that much.
I like Geno’s philosophy - select maybe 7- 8 players and give them tons of minutes to built chemistry. That also builds confidence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I am expecting him to be our best big. Not sure how that is overlooking him. He's the only returning 4-5 on the roster, and was highly regarded out of HS. Even if he couldn't play, he has a year with the team that the others don't.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While I am glad we have more serviceable depth than last season - I have NEVER been a fan of too many guys at the same position with similar talent or guys who are good at one thing but not another. Since you can only play one guy at a time that doesn’t really help that much.
I like Geno’s philosophy - select maybe 7- 8 players and give them tons of minutes to built chemistry. That also builds confidence.

Yeah, but given the graduations and then late defections, we needed guys stat. So I'm happy to throw these dudes against a wall and see who sticks. If Ollie is having a rotational mess by league play, we're cooked.

Happy we have enough guys to practice at this point.

C

Chief00

I am expecting him to be our best big. Not sure how that is overlooking him. He's the only returning 4-5 on the roster, and was highly regarded out of HS. Even if he couldn't play, he has a year with the team that the others don't.
I like the dude but a 4/5? Diarra is 6-7!

pj

Reaction Score

Larrier is 185 lb and he's a 4 this year. Diarra's game is 12 feet and in, and no way is he going to displace Jalen, Alterique, CV, Larrier, or even Polley or Anderson from a perimeter position. If he is going to play, it will be as a 4 or 5.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Even a casual fan like you should understand that there is more to it than just height. I believe Freeman and Adrien were both shorter 4’s and they worked out satisfactorily. ☺️

Not for nothing, but Jeff's wingspan was like 7'2....not to mention he was built like a brick sh-thouse. True on Kfree tho

C

Chief00

Even a casual fan like you should understand that there is more to it than just height. I believe Freeman and Adrien were both shorter 4’s and they worked out satisfactorily. ☺️

Neither played a 5.

C

Chief00

Larrier is 185 lb and he's a 4 this year. Diarra's game is 12 feet and in, and no way is he going to displace Jalen, Alterique, CV, Larrier, or even Polley or Anderson from a perimeter position. If he is going to play, it will be as a 4 or 5.

No problem as a 4. A 5 would be a problem.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Jeff's wingspan was like 7'2....not to mention he was built like a brick sh-thouse. True on Kfree tho

Mamadou has a 7'2" wingspan as well. Dude is really long.

And yeah, 6'7" is a little short to play center. But what are our other options? No one on this team is much taller than that!

pj

Reaction Score
KO has said he'll get the best players on the court, and play positionless basketball. We really don't have a center, except Cobb who is short for the position, so expect to see a lot of forwards playing center.

Reaction Score
KO has said he'll get the best players on the court, and play positionless basketball. We really don't have a center, except Cobb who is short for the position, so expect to see a lot of forwards playing center.

David O too. But he is probably the 12th man at this point.

Reactions: pj

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He’s a PF, so is a big. He’s not a wing. That’s my only point. He’s the sole returning guy at either the 4 or 5. Plus his listed height is more than 6’7” (like Jeff Adrien). Note that I said 4-5 not 4/5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom