Jeff Jacobs: Ollie, Geno On The Good And Bad (Cheating) In College Hoops | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie, Geno On The Good And Bad (Cheating) In College Hoops

Reaction Score
I was wondering when Jacobs was going to give his take on last week's UNC/NCAA farce... with that having been said, this quoted response is quintessential Kevin Ollie:

"But what happened after that?" UConn men's coach Kevin Ollie said Monday at AAC basketball media day. "I honestly believe we don't win the 2014 national championship if our guys didn't go through that. They had a chip on their shoulder. They had a passion. That's what life is all about.

"When you think it's the darkest hour, that's when morning comes. That's when the blessings come. They could have given up in the darkest hour — most people do — but they kept playing, and now they have the benefit of winning the national championship. Shabazz Napier won the national championship freshman and senior year, same with Niels Giffey and Tyler Olander. Nobody else can say that in NCAA history."

This response is EXACTLY why I have defended Ollie on this board through the last 11 months. Not because he did a good job of coaching last year - he did not, for the most part. And not because you could not argue that his last 3 years as the head coach have not been up to UConn standards - you could (and many of you have) argued that they haven't.

But this man continues to show that he "gets it". Far beyond basketball, Kevin Ollie sincerely tries to be a leader in life, and then have that also translate onto the basketball court. He comes across as trying to do things the right way... and imparting that right way of doing things on our players. Not only to make them better players, but more importantly better people.

Did many things go wrong over the last year, and is he ultimately responsible as the head of the program? Yes. Did he learn from his mistakes and has it made him a better recruiter of the right kind of players for our program (early returns - yes), a better coach (incomplete as of now, of course), a better mentor (so far, it looks that way, but another incomplete at this time) and a better person? Time and results will tell.

I for one pray to God that he does... because I believe he actually tries to represent himself, this program, and this University in the best way possible. And for that he deserves the opportunity to return this program to where it belongs - fighting for league championships, and then making deep runs in the NCAA tournament in March and into the first weekend in April.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But this man continues to show that he "gets it". Far beyond basketball, Kevin Ollie sincerely tries to be a leader in life, and then have that also translate onto the basketball court. He comes across as trying to do things the right way... and imparting that right way of doing things on our players. Not only to make them better players, but more importantly better people.

Seems like it. But why did some of his players indicate that it was "fake?"

Reaction Score
I think everyone should keep a low profile until the FBI stops throwing stones at all the glass houses. Just my opinion. But, I like KO too.

My mantra through all this:

Deep down, we probably don't want to know how the tuna gets made.

Reaction Score
I was wondering when Jacobs was going to give his take on last week's UNC/NCAA farce... with that having been said, this quoted response is quintessential Kevin Ollie:

"But what happened after that?" UConn men's coach Kevin Ollie said Monday at AAC basketball media day. "I honestly believe we don't win the 2014 national championship if our guys didn't go through that. They had a chip on their shoulder. They had a passion. That's what life is all about.

"When you think it's the darkest hour, that's when morning comes. That's when the blessings come. They could have given up in the darkest hour — most people do — but they kept playing, and now they have the benefit of winning the national championship. Shabazz Napier won the national championship freshman and senior year, same with Niels Giffey and Tyler Olander. Nobody else can say that in NCAA history."

This response is EXACTLY why I have defended Ollie on this board through the last 11 months. Not because he did a good job of coaching last year - he did not, for the most part. And not because you could not argue that his last 3 years as the head coach have not been up to UConn standards - you could (and many of you have) argued that they haven't.

Did many things go wrong over the last year, and is he ultimately responsible as the head of the program? Yes. Did he learn from his mistakes and has it made him a better recruiter of the right kind of players for our program (early returns - yes), a better coach (incomplete as of now, of course), a better mentor (so far, it looks that way, but another incomplete at this time) and a better person? Time and results will tell.

I for one pray to God that he does... because I believe he actually tries to represent himself, this program, and this University in the best way possible. And for that he deserves the opportunity to return this program to where it belongs - fighting for league championships, and then making deep runs in the NCAA tournament in March and into the first weekend in April.
There has never been a question about the quality of the person Kevin Ollie. He’s a moral and hard working guy, and he was rolled snake eyes last year with the injuries. He has some but not overwhelming talent this season with some difficult challenges on the schedule regatdless of our conference so this season can be a barometer of what coaching skills he has. He doesn’t start with a bunch of 5 stars so it’s going to be interesting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Deep down, we probably don't want to know how the tuna gets made.
chartuna.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Deep down, we probably don't want to know how the tuna gets on the boat.

FIFY

Reaction Score
I loved this article. Both coaches gave great responses. I like KO a lot. Something has not been right the last few years and that means something wasn't right with him too. But he is great guy so I am rooting for him to turn it around.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is the MLB/Tour De France steroid scandals all over. The FBI just busted half a dozen Jose Cansecos.

Pay for play has been going on since before John Wooden. Everyone knows it. Most dislike it but do it just to keep up. There are some who take it to the extreme.

What used to be pocket money or a loaner car from boosters has become corporate shoe money and shakedowns from AAU runners.

I'm sure every program that has won in any measure has given extra benefits. Start with the guys handing out duffel bags of cash and the rest will fall in line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom