Jeff Jacobs: Old Man Shirreffs A Tough Guy To Knock Out | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Old Man Shirreffs A Tough Guy To Knock Out

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Really nice piece by Jeff Jacobs, Bryant Shireffs deserves a lot of credit for what he's gone through. The guy is a leader, and he wants to win... I'm glad we still have him at UConn! Great read.

Jeff Jacobs: Old Man Shirreffs A Tough Guy To Knock Out

On USF last year:
"That was a pretty painful game," Shirreffs said Tuesday after he was officially re-inserted as UConn starter for the AAC opener against No. 21 USF on Saturday. "It's easy to look at it that somebody didn't do their job blah blah blah. But when I really study and understand the film, I've got to put a lot of the blame on myself.

"There should have been certain instances that I should have known somebody was coming through. Not every time, but sometimes I could have taken a hit off myself. Maybe I was trying to be too tough. If we can understand the game, mentally, especially myself, understand the game plan as best as I can, do what I'm coached to do, I think that will help going forward."

(Bryant just took more accountability than Diaco did in 3 years!)

On communication with Edsall:
"He has had a monumental effect on my life as a football player and a person. I'm really thankful he came into my life, he and the other coaches. They have been really supportive of me, and the best thing I can say is they are genuine, honest people, and it's a pleasure to be here every day. Sometimes you might not like what you hear, but that's the best thing for you."

You could call it irony, or you could call it entirely predictable. The same week Diaco said miscommunication was to blame for not meeting with the media postgame after Nebraska had allowed an unseemly 497 yards against Arkansas State, Shirreffs was talking about terrific communication with his new coach. Was that missing before? (love this comment from Jacobs)

Reaction Score
When Pindell was named starter, I looked at it as a positive development because Bryant has been one of the better QBs of our FBS era. Like Excalibur said in another thread, I'm sure we will see Pindell again, and I'm not so quick to draw huge inferences from the kid's 1st college start, but right now Bryant is best equipped to compete for wins. I say this just based off his experience to function behind a porous OL, and ability to bounce back from the beatings.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You know its a rather unusual situation for college football to have a senior with 21 starts (with potentially 11 more to go) expected to be quickly eclipsed by a JUCO transfer. 1.5 weeks into the season, it shouldn't be too big of a surprise or disappointment that BS is more equipped.

I want Pindell to succeed in the biggest way, but to do that he will need to own that playbook and to own that offense. I think those two facets will take a few more weeks to catch up to BS. And so, I want him practicing like he's taking over a couple weeks and never letting go at that point.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom